Bad Tempered Cyclists

Carrera

Feb 2, 2004
I had a number of people recently take me to task over my behaviour while riding. It turns out, at various times, one or two people peeped or waved at me from cars and were apparently greeted by abuse and an angry expression. Even an expression of rage on some occasions. :mad: :mad:
Of course, I wouldn't have known the people hooting were known to me. I'd have just assumed yet another motorist was taking the p**s and responded in my accustomed manner. :mad:
The only other roadie who's as bad tempered as me on wheels has to be David Millar. Do you recall the tirade of abuse he let rip two tours back when his chain flew off the ring during a Time Trial? Every time a reporter tried to question Millar, he just reiterated how he believed his mechanic was a useless w****r and stated he was sacked.
Millar grimaced, swore, scowled and moaned like hell. At points he was shouting wildly. :mad:
In my case, though, this is getting a bit sad. Those people who know me must think I'm a real misery guts out on the road but what they don't know is how the behaviour of motorists has transformed me over the months.
So many times motorists yell abuse, throw cans, spit from car windows or try and knockl me down, the joke has kind of worn thin. Now it seems the slightest hoot of a car horn is enough to trigger my response - a gesture of the fingers or a scowl.
Is this a common problem or do I need to get a grip?

Carrera said:
I had a number of people recently take me to task over my behaviour while riding. It turns out, at various times, one or two people peeped or waved at me from cars and were apparently greeted by abuse and an angry expression. Even an expression of rage on some occasions. :mad: :mad:
Of course, I wouldn't have known the people hooting were known to me. I'd have just assumed yet another motorist was taking the p**s and responded in my accustomed manner. :mad:
The only other roadie who's as bad tempered as me on wheels has to be David Millar. Do you recall the tirade of abuse he let rip two tours back when his chain flew off the ring during a Time Trial? Every time a reporter tried to question Millar, he just reiterated how he believed his mechanic was a useless w****r and stated he was sacked.
Millar grimaced, swore, scowled and moaned like hell. At points he was shouting wildly. :mad:
In my case, though, this is getting a bit sad. Those people who know me must think I'm a real misery guts out on the road but what they don't know is how the behaviour of motorists has transformed me over the months.
So many times motorists yell abuse, throw cans, spit from car windows or try and knockl me down, the joke has kind of worn thin. Now it seems the slightest hoot of a car horn is enough to trigger my response - a gesture of the fingers or a scowl.
Is this a common problem or do I need to get a grip?
If someone greets you from a car, assume that they are friendly from the start, rather than t'other way round. Give them a cheery wave and a friendly smile.

"You get more with a kind word AND a gun, then you do with just a kind word."-Al Capone

I wonder if he ever used a kind word and a gnu?

I too can be a bad tempered git, depending on the circumstances. It also depends on my blood sugar levels, I'm diabetic. Patience, I'm sorry to say, is a gift I am severely lacking.

Carrera said:
The only other roadie who's as bad tempered as me on wheels has to be David Millar.
is it any wonder, he get a 3 year ban for something he did when he was 12, and some riders win tour after tour when they are doped up to the eyeballs.

Chance3290 said:
"You get more with a kind word AND a gun, then you do with just a kind word."-Al Capone

I wonder if he ever used a kind word and a gnu?

It is illegal to get angry and abuse a Gnu here. Even if it yell and blows it's horns at you.

shannons dad said:
I've been wondering about this for ages now, but, what the hell is a GNU?
The Gnu Song
Written by M. Flanders and D. Swann
© Michael Flanders/Donald Swan

A year ago last Thursday
I was strolling in the zoo
When I met a man
Who thought he knew the lot
He was laying down the law
About the habits of baboons
And the number of quills a porcupine has got

So I asked him what's that creature there
He answered, "It's a helk"
I might have gone on thinking that was true
If the animal in question hadn't
Put that chap to shame
and remarked "I ain't a helk"
I'm a Gnu
I'm a Gnu
I'm a Gnu
How do you do?
You really ought to know
who's who
I'm a Gnu
Spelled G-N-U
I'm g-not a camel or a kangaroo
So let me introduce
I'm g-neither man or moose
Oh G-no, G-no, G-no - I'm a Gnu

I had taken furnished lodgings down on Rustington-on-Sea
Whence I traveled on to Ashton-under-Lyme
And the second night I stayed there
I was wakened from a dream
Which I'll tell you all about some other time
Among the hunting trophies on the wall above my head
Stuffed and mounted was a face I thought I knew
A bison, no it's not a bison
An okapi, I don't think it's an okapi
Could it be a hartebeest?
When I seemed to hear a voice

I'm a Gnu
I'm a Gnu
A g-nother Gnu

I wish I could g-nash my teeth at you
I'm a Gnu
How do you do?
You really ought to k-now
a who's who

I'm a Gnu
Spelled G-N-U
Call me bison or okapi and I'll sue
G-nor am I in the least like that dreadful hartebeest
G-No G-No G-No!

I'm a Gnu
G-no, G-no, G-no
I'm a Gnu
G-no, G-no, G-no
I'm a Gnu

I generally respond to honks with my usual one finger salute, as the Senior VP at work found out last week. How was I to know he was just being friendly.

Don Shipp said:
The Gnu Song
Written by M. Flanders and D. Swann
© Michael Flanders/Donald Swan

A year ago last Thursday
I was strolling in the zoo
When I met a man
Who thought he knew the lot
He was laying down the law
About the habits of baboons
And the number of quills a porcupine has got

So I asked him what's that creature there
He answered, "It's a helk"
I might have gone on thinking that was true
If the animal in question hadn't
Put that chap to shame
and remarked "I ain't a helk"
I'm a Gnu
I'm a Gnu
I'm a Gnu
How do you do?
You really ought to know
who's who
I'm a Gnu
Spelled G-N-U
I'm g-not a camel or a kangaroo
So let me introduce
I'm g-neither man or moose
Oh G-no, G-no, G-no - I'm a Gnu

I had taken furnished lodgings down on Rustington-on-Sea
Whence I traveled on to Ashton-under-Lyme
And the second night I stayed there
I was wakened from a dream
Which I'll tell you all about some other time
Among the hunting trophies on the wall above my head
Stuffed and mounted was a face I thought I knew
A bison, no it's not a bison
An okapi, I don't think it's an okapi
Could it be a hartebeest?
When I seemed to hear a voice

I'm a Gnu
I'm a Gnu
A g-nother Gnu

I wish I could g-nash my teeth at you
I'm a Gnu
How do you do?
You really ought to k-now
a who's who

I'm a Gnu
Spelled G-N-U
Call me bison or okapi and I'll sue
G-nor am I in the least like that dreadful hartebeest
G-No G-No G-No!

I'm a Gnu
G-no, G-no, G-no
I'm a Gnu
G-no, G-no, G-no
I'm a Gnu
Either it's too late or I'm too old. I'll read it again in the morning.:D

eric_the_red said:
I generally respond to honks with my usual one finger salute, as the Senior VP at work found out last week. How was I to know he was just being friendly.
There are some motorists who will respond to your salute by running you off the road.

yea, it can be dangerous giving the middle digit to a car full of people who are already acting aggressively towards you.

If the car screaches to a halt and the driver gets out, are you ready for a confruntation after a 60 mile ride?

Maybe you are, good on you. Sometimes i am, sometimes i am shattered.

To ******** drivers i like to cycle straight in the middle of the lane at 16 mph and ignore all thier honking. Then after a couple of miles i'll pull off the road into a field or side street.

On the other hand however, you can stop, slam your bike to the ground and stride up to the car and say, 'what the fck is your problem pal?'...chances are he'll back down.

MountainPro said:
yea, it can be dangerous giving the middle digit to a car full of people who are already acting aggressively towards you.

If the car screaches to a halt and the driver gets out, are you ready for a confruntation after a 60 mile ride?

To ******** drivers i like to cycle straight in the middle of the lane at 16 mph and ignore all thier honking. Then after a couple of miles i'll pull off the road into a field or side street.

On the other hand however, you can stop, slam your bike to the ground and stride up to the car and say, 'what the fck is your problem pal?'...chances are he'll back down.

That's is true it is usually some snot nosed punk, but one day I know I will probably his my A** kicked sideways.
As along as I am willling to assume the risk it's my a** to risk

eric_the_red said:
Tell him that if he wants friends he should get a dog.
You will probably be promoted for showing "the right stuff".

stevebaby said:
Tell him that if he wants friends he should get a dog.
You will probably be promoted for showing "the right stuff".
If you still work there.

I'm the quietest, most mild-natured guy you could imagine. I'm not at all aggressive.
However, on wheels I can become a different personality.
What triggers me is those beer-swilling, thick-skulled, Beckham-loving yobs who make wise cracks from their cars, hurl objects, blow their horns and shout abuse.
I heard once a story about a cyclist who was punched and attacked by one of these yobs while out riding with a friend. When I heard the story on the news, I noticed the rider made no attempt to retaliate. Maybe he wasn't up to it or was too scared.
Myself, I think if some driver takes a poke at you, you should go for it. I have a friend who's short and not particularly big but he downed a bruiser who was well over 6 feet tall. That's the way to go, even if you're tired as you point out.
These yobs think cyclists are an easy touch so the more cyclists hit back the better.
Unfortunately, in my case, some poor innocent simply peeped their horn and I immediately jumped the gun. So, I need to wind down a bit.

MountainPro said:

Carrera said:
I'm the quietest, most mild-natured guy you could imagine. I'm not at all aggressive.
However, on wheels I can become a different personality.
What triggers me is those beer-swilling, thick-skulled, Beckham-loving yobs who make wise cracks from their cars, hurl objects, blow their horns and shout abuse.
I heard once a story about a cyclist who was punched and attacked by one of these yobs while out riding with a friend. When I heard the story on the news, I noticed the rider made no attempt to retaliate. Maybe he wasn't up to it or was too scared.
Myself, I think if some driver takes a poke at you, you should go for it. I have a friend who's short and not particularly big but he downed a bruiser who was well over 6 feet tall. That's the way to go, even if you're tired as you point out.
These yobs think cyclists are an easy touch so the more cyclists hit back the better.
Unfortunately, in my case, some poor innocent simply peeped their horn and I immediately jumped the gun. So, I need to wind down a bit.

There is no doubt that I am alot more agressive on a bicycle. I am likely to react more quickly with less thinking. I talk less and focus more. I attribute this to increased adrenilan (other hormones).

I really am a sweetheart otherwise :)