Bains bike shop in Newhaven Edinburgh

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by stupot, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. stupot

    stupot Guest

    Bains bikes has been shut for quite a few weeks now. Not even
    open for the 4pm - 8pm slot that it uaually does.

    Anyone know more about this?

    ta,
    Stuart.

    Tags:

  2. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    stupot <[email protected]> wrote in news:cbelbo$hbb$1$8300dec7
    @news.demon.co.uk:

    > Bains bikes has been shut for quite a few weeks now. Not even
    > open for the 4pm - 8pm slot that it uaually does.
    >
    > Anyone know more about this?

    I'm not local enough any more to find out exactly what's happening (I
    used to live in Newhaven Road, about 300m away). However I do know that
    there used to be periods when he was shut for a few weeks with little/no
    notice (or at least none that was visible) for holidays, illness etc.
    Given the grills on the windows etc. then I can understand him not
    wanting to put up a sign saying "This place will be empty for the next X
    weeks".

    He doesn't have an answering machine, but on the odd occasion I rang and
    he didn't answer then he rang me back soon after (he'd obviously used
    1471). So if he is there but you're not catching him, then it may be
    worth ringing. His hours can be a bit flexible, like 7-10 instead of 4-8
    etc. and who can blame him with all this nice weather I've been hearing
    about!

    You can forgive him a hell of a lot when he builds you a good solid set
    of wheels at almost cost plus a few quid for labour!

    Graeme

  3. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Graeme [email protected] opined the following...
    > You can forgive him a hell of a lot when he builds you a good solid set
    > of wheels at almost cost plus a few quid for labour!

    I tried him a few months ago when I was looking for bits for the fixer.
    After a couple of phone calls and a quick look at the shop, I presumed
    it was no more. That was a while ago hoever (Probably about 4 / 5
    months) so if anyone has seen him open since then I'd certainly be glad
    to know about it. The shop looks cool (and is just down the road from me
    at work!).

    Jon

  4. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > After a couple of phone calls and a quick look at the shop, I presumed
    > it was no more.

    It always looks closed, even if he's in their working away. I do hope he's
    still in business.

    Graeme

  5. stupot

    stupot Guest

    I was there about 7 weeks ago. But Ive been down twice a week since
    and he's not been open.

    Shame. :-(