Banning bright mercury lamp headlights

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
In the past years, the bright mercury headlights are getting into fashion despite the expensive cost. Just recently, the Land Transportation Office came out with the directive banning those ultra bright headlights. There were accidents due to those lights involving 2-wheelers because of the excessive glare. Ironically, some cyclists have their own front light fitted with bright mercury lamp. That too, is banned.

It really is dangerous for road safety, because cars could have accidents not knowing where to see. In my opinion, I'm glad that these are getting banned.

Yes, I've noticed modern motor vehicle lighting has been getting brighter over the years. This was never a problem around 20 years ago. I remember driving my car a lot back then and it was a generally an enjoyable experience. But these days, one gets blinded by the incredibly bright lights from oncoming vehicles, and it's easy to have an accident.

Also mercury is hard to dispose of if those headlights are broken. So I'm also glad they got banned.