Base Training

sammiedog

Oct 23, 2003
I have been cycling for three years now I mainly do 10 mile TTs and would like to do some 25's.
I recently read that at this time of year i should do rides at 55 to 70% of heart rate i have tried this on the same easyish route on i-magic trainer 20 mile that is taking around 1 hr.After three weeks of this i have noticed my average heart rate is getting lower even though my time is sometimes faster so it is doing some good but it seems very easy, should i continue and when should i start some speed work .
Thanks in advance Robert.

sammiedog said:
I have been cycling for three years now I mainly do 10 mile TTs and would like to do some 25's.
I recently read that at this time of year i should do rides at 55 to 70% of heart rate i have tried this on the same easyish route on i-magic trainer 20 mile that is taking around 1 hr.After three weeks of this i have noticed my average heart rate is getting lower even though my time is sometimes faster so it is doing some good but it seems very easy, should i continue and when should i start some speed work .
Thanks in advance Robert.
Yesterday after doing my final 1 minute plus burst at 350Watts I noticed my HR was at it's highest ever since I took up doing serious workouts. 172BPM when the maxHR for someone my age should be around 155 plus or minus a tad. And as I was still feeling fairly good - that wasn't my max. The rest, I'll let other people answer. TYSON ;)

When I was training using heart rate alone I thought I was doing low L3 when I was really doing low L4 and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't maintain it very long.

Sillyoldtwit said:
Yesterday after doing my final 1 minute plus burst at 350Watts I noticed my HR was at it's highest ever since I took up doing serious workouts. 172BPM when the maxHR for someone my age should be around 155 plus or minus a tad. And as I was still feeling fairly good - that wasn't my max. The rest, I'll let other people answer. TYSON ;)
I dont think using your age as a guide for max heart rate is a very good idea, I am 44 this year and have a max heart rate of 198bpm.
If you cant get it done at a local gym try doing a ramp test, it isnt 100% accurate but it isnt far off.

sammiedog said:
.After three weeks of this i have noticed my average heart rate is getting lower even though my time is sometimes faster so it is doing some good but it seems very easy,.
Your power is increasing for relative HR. Re-test your FT (if training by power) but still strive to keep your HR in the proper zones.

One good reason to watch HR data even when training primarily with power.