Baselayers and bibs

Sonssu

Mar 14, 2012
Hi friends!

I am psyched to go to Europe for my holiday rides. My trip starts from Sweden and it seems it's about 60 degree and can get colder in the evening.

I think it's gonna be humid and little chilly out there. I am gonna wear normally when I ride but will need a good set of baselayers at night for sho!

Any recommendations on how many pairs/brands etc on baselayers? And if anyone know some discount code on online stores that ship to Canada that would be appreciated!

Also I am looking for a new bibs for my adventure. Please recommend a good brand and specific model/style numbers!

Thanks in advance!

Sonssu

Sonssu said:
Hi friends! I am psyched to go to Europe for my holiday rides. My trip starts from Sweden and it seems it's about 60 degree and can get colder in the evening. I think it's gonna be humid and little chilly out there. I am gonna wear normally when I ride but will need a good set of baselayers at night for sho! Any recommendations on how many pairs/brands etc on baselayers? And if anyone know some discount code on online stores that ship to Canada that would be appreciated! Also I am looking for a new bibs for my adventure. Please recommend a good brand and specific model/style numbers! Thanks in advance! Sonssu
The first suggestion would be to see what MEC has. The second would be to check out Sugoi, a Canadian bike clothing company. I know they sell base layers.

I live in southern Sweden, on the beautiful island of Öland to be exact. As of right now it's pretty comfortable weather for biking (it's 11AM, the sun is always up, around 20+ degrees celsius, gets colder the more to the north you'll go).

Check this out for more on weather: http://www.smhi.se/en/weather
The norwegians are pretty good at predicting weather: http://www.yr.no/

I was just in MEC yesterday (don't know which city you're in, check mec.com if you don't have one locally to you) they're rolling out their cold weather cycling gear, MEC Toronto has some really nice castelli neoprene shoe covers and neoprene riding gloves for the cold season, new roll out for 2012.

MEC will ship for free within Canada, their housebrand is very trustworthy when it comes to cold weather gear (I have two base layers from them that I use for running in -15c to -20c weather, I've had them for 2 seasons now.)

Check out probikekit.com they have free shipping to Canada, a little pricey, but if you dig you'll find good deals.

You are the first Canadian I've heard worrying about getting cold. What's with that?

AlanG said:
You are the first Canadian I've heard worrying about getting cold. What's with that?
You've never been around Canadians when it's been really cold.

Originally Posted by alienator .

You've never been around Canadians when it's been really cold.
I once was in a ski gondola at Sugarloaf Maine on a pretty cold day. A guy across from me was only wearing a light cloth plaid jacket and no hat. I guess we looked at him a bit strangely and all he said was. "Canadian."

I used to live in Rochester NY and nobody there would have worried about what to wear biking on a mild 50 degree day.

In any case for the OP, if you just have some cycling tights or pull over leg warmers and a long sleeve shirt and a light jacket you should be fine if you are putting any effort into riding.

I used to live in Rochester NY and nobody there would have worried about what to wear biking on a mild 50 degree day.

50° in Rochester?

Don't they call that "a heat wave"?

On a 50° day after a typical Ohio winter, it's a light pair of tights and a long sleeve jersey, thanking Ra my toes aren't numb any more.

A breatheable windproof jacket, the type that can be rolled up tight and shoved in a jersey, can extend a summer wardrobe into the 50's. It extends brushed longsleeve jersey ranges even further. Also helpful, something for your head. My Assos rain cap is pretty much a regular cycling cap, just wind and water resistant but keeps the head warm on cooler days. Also helpful in the inbetween zones are unbrushed armwarmers. All three of these items fit in jersey pockets.

I usually don't hit the baselayers till it's sub 50F but a couple longsleeve items probably couldn't hurt.

To carry everything for extended trips like this, I use a rear rack with a small trunk bag. This gives room for the warmers, vest, rain jacket, gloves, off-bike sandals, camera, GPS, maps, etc, without being limited to what you can stuff into your jersey pockets. Serves as a rear fender in event of rain too. Takes about 10 minutes to install; same to remove after the trip is done.