Basso - riding foolishly?

"Curtis L. Russell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 25 May 2006 16:13:50 GMT, "routebeer" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I dunno. I wish I could ride as foolishly as Basso. I also wish I could
> >date his sister, but that's another topic altogether.

> You'd probably have more of a chance of doing the latter if you could
> do the former. Such is life.

No, she'll probably marry some filthy rich, handsome bloke with a small
pecker -none of which I could provide.

routebeer wrote:
> No, she'll probably marry some filthy rich, handsome bloke with a small
> pecker -none of which I could provide.

Basso's sister is going to marry Piepoli ? I'm sure Basso won't be
pleased to hear that.

Donald Munro wrote:

> Curtis L. Russell wrote:
>
>>>You'd probably have more of a chance of doing the latter if you could
>>>do the former. Such is life.

> routebeer wrote:
>
>>No, she'll probably marry some filthy rich, handsome bloke with a small
>>pecker -none of which I could provide.

> Basso's sister is going to marry Piepoli ? I'm sure Basso won't be
> pleased to hear that.

Not half as upset as Eddy Mazzolenni would be...

Stu Fleming wrote:
> Not half as upset as Eddy Mazzolenni would be...

So perhaps Basso's sister thinks small is beautiful.

Jim Burlant <[email protected]> wrote:

> Remember the '99, '00, and '02 Tours? Or remember the entirety of the
> Indurain era? Anyone who wasn't an immediate GC threat was allowed up
> the road once Lance or Miguel established a firm lead, and anyeone else
> was followed but Lance wasn't chasing any more time gains than he
> needed to. IMO - especially if Basso doesn't want to use up his TdF
> in this Giro - Basso needs to be reminded of this. Bjarne, are you
> listening? :)

I think he is - Riis has never been a fan of defensive riding. He kept
attacking himself, even when he had the 1996 TDF in the bag. Remember
Hautacam, Sestriere and Pamplona?

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1,25GB RAM, 300+300GB SATA, 16xDVD DL, Bluetooth
mus+tastatur, R9600PRO, iSight, eyeTV200 & LaCie Photon18Vision TFT.

In the cases you mention, Riis NEVER had the commanding lead that Basso
currently does and his attacks weren't adding to a massive lead. If I
recall correctly, prior to the Hautacam stage his lead on 2nd place was
less than 1 minute, Sestriere was where he won the Yellow Jersey with a
solo break on what became one of the shortest road stages in TdF
history (shortened to approximately 30 miles because a blizzard forced
the TdF organizers to eliminate the first 120 miles of the stage). And
even Pamplona wasn't really a matter of Riis trying to pad an already
massive lead the way Basso was. Entering the final TT Riis wasn't 4
minutes up on Ullrich in 2nd place.

Jim Burlant

"routebear" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Jim Burlant" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Seems to me that someone needs to remind Ivan Basso that, this far into
>> the Giro, Basso's tactics need to change slightly.

> Not if he's doping.

Still, if all the favorites were doping and using the same
Doctor, then it's a level playing field, and Basso was
being pretty foolish on that stage.