BB installation: Grease vs Telfon tape

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Feb 22, 2004.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    So, which is you're method?

    Or do you use some other unidentified goop?

    --
    Slacker

    Tags:

  2. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > So, which is you're method?
    >
    > Or do you use some other unidentified goop?

    Judy Butter.

    Bill "might as well get SOME use out of those little tubs that came with RS forks 75 years ago" S.

    PS: "You're method", Gracie?!? Say good day...

  3. ----------
    In article <[email protected]>, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > So, which is you're method?
    >
    > Or do you use some other unidentified goop?
    >
    > --
    > Slacker

    I've been using grease on my Race Face bb but it kept loosening despite carefully cleaning and
    torqeing to spec. So now I've switched to Teflon tape with grease over it, so far so good. My
    Truvativ and Shimano bb's never loosened.

    Paul

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    S o r n i wrote:

    > PS: "You're method", Gracie?!? Say good day...

    Hey, I did it on porpoise, so Bomba wouldn't feel like such a doof.

    Sheesh, and nobody got the accept vs. except the other week!
    --
    Slacker

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
    > So, which is you're method?
    >
    > Or do you use some other unidentified goop?

    I've always used teflon tape but the guy who sold me my Bullit put some silicone tub/shower sealer
    on the threads and it has held very well. I actually had to wait until it had cured to install the
    BB because I had to order a DH (flanged) cup from RF. But the BB threaded in smooth. He also
    chased/faced the BB threads and shell first.

    Mike

  6. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > I've always used teflon tape but the guy who sold me my Bullit put some silicone tub/shower sealer
    > on the threads and it has held very well. I actually had to wait until it had cured to install the
    > BB because I had to order a DH (flanged) cup from RF. But the BB threaded in smooth. He also
    > chased/faced the BB threads and shell first.
    >
    > Mike

    Hmmm.... very interesting.

    So, normally you would install while it's still wet, right?
    --
    Slacker

  7. Michael Paul

    Michael Paul Guest

    > So, which is you're method?
    >
    > Or do you use some other unidentified goop?
    >
    > --
    > Slacker

    Yes!

    currently I have tape on one cup and only grease on the other.

    why? because only one cup squeaks and the tape adds just enough material to fill whatever gap is
    causing the squeak. no need to use it on the other cup since it doesn't squeak.

    Michael

  8. Gazzer

    Gazzer Guest

    "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > So, which is you're method?
    >
    > Or do you use some other unidentified goop?

    I use the ptfe tape, with a bit of grease as well. Unidentified goop is just so hard to
    find nowadays.

    cheers

  9. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
    >> I've always used teflon tape but the guy who sold me my Bullit put some silicone tub/shower
    >> sealer on the threads and it has held very well. I actually had to wait until it had cured to
    >> install the BB because I had to order a DH (flanged) cup from RF. But the BB threaded in smooth.
    >> He also chased/faced the BB threads and shell first.
    >>
    >> Mike
    >

    > Hmmm.... very interesting.
    >
    > So, normally you would install while it's still wet, right?

    Yeah that was the idea. He put some on there before I took the frame home. I'd use it again. The
    only real problem is the stuff will probably dry up in the tube before the next time. I suppose you
    could redo your bathroom. ;^)

    Mike

  10. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    gazzer wrote:

    > Unidentified goop is just so hard to find nowadays.
    >
    > cheers

    You need to visit Los Angeles where you could scrape it off just about any sidewalk.
    ---
    Slacker