BB installation: Grease vs Telfon tape

Slacker

Guest
So, which is you're method?

Or do you use some other unidentified goop?

--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> So, which is you're method?
>
> Or do you use some other unidentified goop?

Judy Butter.

Bill "might as well get SOME use out of those little tubs that came with RS forks 75 years ago" S.

PS: "You're method", Gracie?!? Say good day...

----------
In article <[email protected]>, "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote:

> So, which is you're method?
>
> Or do you use some other unidentified goop?
>
> --
> Slacker

I've been using grease on my Race Face bb but it kept loosening despite carefully cleaning and
torqeing to spec. So now I've switched to Teflon tape with grease over it, so far so good. My
Truvativ and Shimano bb's never loosened.

Paul

S o r n i wrote:

> PS: "You're method", Gracie?!? Say good day...

Hey, I did it on porpoise, so Bomba wouldn't feel like such a doof.

Sheesh, and nobody got the accept vs. except the other week!
--
Slacker

In news:[email protected],
Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
> So, which is you're method?
>
> Or do you use some other unidentified goop?

I've always used teflon tape but the guy who sold me my Bullit put some silicone tub/shower sealer
on the threads and it has held very well. I actually had to wait until it had cured to install the
BB because I had to order a DH (flanged) cup from RF. But the BB threaded in smooth. He also
chased/faced the BB threads and shell first.

Mike

> I've always used teflon tape but the guy who sold me my Bullit put some silicone tub/shower sealer
> on the threads and it has held very well. I actually had to wait until it had cured to install the
> BB because I had to order a DH (flanged) cup from RF. But the BB threaded in smooth. He also
> chased/faced the BB threads and shell first.
>
> Mike

Hmmm.... very interesting.

So, normally you would install while it's still wet, right?
--
Slacker

> So, which is you're method?
>
> Or do you use some other unidentified goop?
>
> --
> Slacker

Yes!

currently I have tape on one cup and only grease on the other.

why? because only one cup squeaks and the tape adds just enough material to fill whatever gap is
causing the squeak. no need to use it on the other cup since it doesn't squeak.

Michael

"Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> So, which is you're method?
>
> Or do you use some other unidentified goop?

I use the ptfe tape, with a bit of grease as well. Unidentified goop is just so hard to
find nowadays.

cheers

In news:[email protected],
Slacker <[email protected]> typed:
>> I've always used teflon tape but the guy who sold me my Bullit put some silicone tub/shower
>> sealer on the threads and it has held very well. I actually had to wait until it had cured to
>> install the BB because I had to order a DH (flanged) cup from RF. But the BB threaded in smooth.
>> He also chased/faced the BB threads and shell first.
>>
>> Mike
>

> Hmmm.... very interesting.
>
> So, normally you would install while it's still wet, right?

Yeah that was the idea. He put some on there before I took the frame home. I'd use it again. The
only real problem is the stuff will probably dry up in the tube before the next time. I suppose you
could redo your bathroom. ;^)

Mike

gazzer wrote:

> Unidentified goop is just so hard to find nowadays.
>
> cheers

You need to visit Los Angeles where you could scrape it off just about any sidewalk.
---
Slacker