BB sealed cartridge regreasing

I_ride_my_bike

Jan 4, 2006
I'm changing my crank, and since its off I was thinking of removing the sealed cartridge to regrease the bearings, but I hear you can't do this, if it sounds like the grease is worn out, you have to get a whole new cartridge. I have not taken out the cartridge so I'm not sure how it looks like but its a sealed unit because I can see the rubber seal around the spindle. My bike is a 6 year old Diamondback Response, about 5000k on it. The BB cartridge still spins all right but was wondering how long is the grease inside a sealed cartridge good for?

Depends on the quality. I have a sealed shimano XT bottom bracket that has done in excess of 60,000km over 10 years and is still fine, while I had to replace a cheaper one (TH Industries I think it was) after about 7,000km.
The XT one has outlasted the Easton frame.
Basically you just replace them when they start to feel rough.

Did you ride 60,000km without ever reagreasing the bearings? I haven't taken out my cartridge to see what kind it is and if you can regrease it. People tell me you can't service sealed cartridges. Just wondering how durable are the BB cartridges found in mid level Diamondback bikes?

Sealed bearing bottom brackets generally never need greased. The bearings are sealed so the grease never gets out and contaminants never get in. Also, bicyclists cannot spin at a high enough cadence to cause the grease to break down due to heat. As long as you are using a good quality sealed bottom bracket cartridge, you should get well over 30,000 km out of it. Good BB cartridges are not that expensive. I can pick up a decent Shimano from a mail order house for $30.00 US.

I don't know that much about Diamondback Bikes but it probably has a pretty robust cartridge in it. I would just forget about it until it starts feeling rough and then replace it.

I just used a pin and popped off the rubber seal and put greases in the bearing and pressed the seal back on. Pretty simple. Done it with my Ksyrium's and Mega Exo BB. The manufactor does not put alot off grease in there.

I_ride_my_bike said:
Cool thanks for the info people. I am now a more informed cyclist! peace!
Whereas the others are correct that good quality sealed cartridge BBs don't need regular regreasing, it is true that the can be regreased. The problem is that by the time they get gritty and rough, regreasing doesn't really help as they are likely pitted and scored. And if the BB runs smoothly, then it doesn't really need to be regreased.