Sealed Cartridge drop ins for cup-cone hubs?

Dave

Guest
Is anything like this available? You would simply replace the cone
with the cartridge. Thanks.

Dave wrote:
> Is anything like this available? You would simply replace the cone
> with the cartridge. Thanks.

You need some sort of preloading device to eliminate play from the bearings,
and a locking device to keep that preload... Also the cup would provide a
poor place for the bearing to sit in.

Dunno if there's anything out there.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On 21 Oct 2004 08:47:19 -0700, [email protected] (Dave) wrote:

>Is anything like this available? You would simply replace the cone
>with the cartridge. Thanks.

Unfortunately, no, nor is it likely that such a kit will be made
available. There are several issues involved, among them are
dimensional variation, inconsistency of curvature, and the lack of a
shoulder on the axle or room for a spacer around it.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

On 21 Oct 2004 08:47:19 -0700, [email protected] (Dave) wrote:

>Is anything like this available? You would simply replace the cone
>with the cartridge. Thanks.

12x8x28 bearings replace Campy Nuovo Record cups neatly. Then you can
use a complete axle kit from a Specialized or Sansin many others that
use a 12mm OD "cone".

dianne_1234 wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2004 08:47:19 -0700, [email protected] (Dave) wrote:
>

>>Is anything like this available? You would simply replace the cone
>>with the cartridge. Thanks.

> 12x8x28 bearings replace Campy Nuovo Record cups neatly. Then you can
> use a complete axle kit from a Specialized or Sansin many others that
> use a 12mm OD "cone".

excellent! i've wondered about this myself - great to know someone's
done their homework. thanks dianne!

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:19:27 -0500, dianne_1234
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 21 Oct 2004 08:47:19 -0700, [email protected] (Dave) wrote:
>
>>Is anything like this available? You would simply replace the cone
>>with the cartridge. Thanks.

>12x8x28 bearings replace Campy Nuovo Record cups neatly. Then you can
>use a complete axle kit from a Specialized or Sansin many others that
>use a 12mm OD "cone".

Are there any others for which this has been shown to work? I've
tried to extract cups from some older aluminum Shimano hubs that had
succumbed to water damage in floods, without success, and their ID
without pulling the cup was not shaped or sized in a manner that would
accomodate a bearing or a shouldered axle.
--

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 18:19:27 -0500, dianne_1234
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On 21 Oct 2004 08:47:19 -0700, [email protected] (Dave) wrote:
> >
> >>Is anything like this available? You would simply replace the cone
> >>with the cartridge. Thanks.

> >12x8x28 bearings replace Campy Nuovo Record cups neatly. Then you can
> >use a complete axle kit from a Specialized or Sansin many others that
> >use a 12mm OD "cone".

> Are there any others for which this has been shown to work? I've
> tried to extract cups from some older aluminum Shimano hubs that had
> succumbed to water damage in floods, without success, and their ID
> without pulling the cup was not shaped or sized in a manner that would
> accomodate a bearing or a shouldered axle.

I heard someone did it with an old (8s) Dura-Ace rear hub
(non-cassette side, natch) after the cup wore out.

Cheaper Shimano hubs I've looked at had a bore too big for the
Specialized bearings to fit (30mm?) and might have had a
non-cylindrical seat anyway.

jim beam <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> dianne_1234 wrote:
> > On 21 Oct 2004 08:47:19 -0700, [email protected] (Dave) wrote:
> >

> >>Is anything like this available? You would simply replace the cone
> >>with the cartridge. Thanks.

> > 12x8x28 bearings replace Campy Nuovo Record cups neatly. Then you can
> > use a complete axle kit from a Specialized or Sansin many others that
> > use a 12mm OD "cone".

> excellent! i've wondered about this myself - great to know someone's
> done their homework. thanks dianne!

Just happened across one for sale on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7112343483

No relation to seller - just saw this example of a Campy hub converted
to sealed bearings.

Dave said:
Is anything like this available? You would simply replace the cone
with the cartridge. Thanks.

"Rain on your parade"?:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/sealed-bearings.html

daveornee wrote:
> Dave Wrote:
>
>>Is anything like this available? You would simply replace the cone
>>with the cartridge. Thanks.

> "Rain on your parade"?:
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/sealed-bearings.html

how exactly does that rain on any parade? if you have a hub with ruined
bearings for which parts are no longer available but you don't want to
toss an otherwise perfectly good wheel, why not consider replacement
with cartridge bearings if they'll fit? personally, i think cartridge
bearings are a great idea if they:

1. lessen the incidence of maintenance error from people that haven't
figured out how to adjust a bearing properly

2. offer a cheaper maintenance alternative. set of campy bearing balls
-$8, one campy cone -$12. [excelsports.com] vs. pair of 6200 sealed
cartridge bearings -$9.99 [danscomp.com]

all this talk about seal effectiveness is pretty academic when you
consider the environments in which the average car, truck or farm
equipment, etc. operates. they use sealed cartridge bearings almost
exclusively. how many times have you had to strip your car's [wheel]
bearings after driving through a rain storm or after using the pressure
washer?

for cartridges, "maintenance" = replacement - a much quicker, much more
reliable & much more tolerant of technician error maintenance route than
any "maintainable" bearing system. in terms of total cost of ownership,
cartridges are absolutely the way to go.

jim beam said:
daveornee wrote:
> Dave Wrote:
>
>>Is anything like this available? You would simply replace the cone
>>with the cartridge. Thanks.

> "Rain on your parade"?:
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/sealed-bearings.html

how exactly does that rain on any parade? if you have a hub with ruined
bearings for which parts are no longer available but you don't want to
toss an otherwise perfectly good wheel, why not consider replacement
with cartridge bearings if they'll fit? personally, i think cartridge
bearings are a great idea if they:

1. lessen the incidence of maintenance error from people that haven't
figured out how to adjust a bearing properly

2. offer a cheaper maintenance alternative. set of campy bearing balls
-$8, one campy cone -$12. [excelsports.com] vs. pair of 6200 sealed
cartridge bearings -$9.99 [danscomp.com]

all this talk about seal effectiveness is pretty academic when you
consider the environments in which the average car, truck or farm
equipment, etc. operates. they use sealed cartridge bearings almost
exclusively. how many times have you had to strip your car's [wheel]
bearings after driving through a rain storm or after using the pressure
washer?

for cartridges, "maintenance" = replacement - a much quicker, much more
reliable & much more tolerant of technician error maintenance route than
any "maintainable" bearing system. in terms of total cost of ownership,
cartridges are absolutely the way to go.

Did you notice the QUESTION MARK?
This is a discussion group. I was linking a data point.

dianne_1234 wrote:
> jim beam <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>dianne_1234 wrote:

>>>12x8x28 bearings replace Campy Nuovo Record cups neatly. Then you can
>>>use a complete axle kit from a Specialized or Sansin many others that
>>>use a 12mm OD "cone".

>>excellent! i've wondered about this myself - great to know someone's
>>done their homework. thanks dianne!

> Just happened across one for sale on ebay:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7112343483
>
> No relation to seller - just saw this example of a Campy hub converted
> to sealed bearings.

interesting. i'd like to find a solution for a shimano casette hub.