Hi all,
I recently bought a used Hercules 3-speed, and found my way to Sheldon
Brown's excellent pages. The hub is a Sturmey-Archer AW made in 1970.
I didn't pay much for this bike and primarily use it for riding around
town, usually trips of less than a couple of miles. After tightening a
few spokes (no tension at all), replacing the brake pads, and dripping
a bit of oil into the hub, the bike is quite rideable, but I'd like
some advice on doing some very basic work. Any tips will be greatly
appreciated.
1-Whitworth vs Metric: This bike seems to be a mix. The seatpost is
definitely whitworth, or at least it fits none of my SAE or metric
wrenches. The front and rear hub nuts (front wheel is also S-A) seem
to be (different) metric sizes, but I wonder if this is actually just
coincidence.
Can anyone tell me if standard metric cone wrenches will work on these
wheels, or is there a special version required? Also, is there a
source for these.
2-Cones: These bikes seems to require cone adjustment each time the
wheels come off. I took the front cones out and they are severely
spalled. If these were easy to find I would replace them, but they
aren't so I am wondering what the consequences of continuing to ride
on them will be. It seems I wouldn't be any worse off replacing them
later than now, but am I missing something? Is there a catastrophic
failure mode? The only downside appears to be more pedalling effort,
which is not really a problem.
Until I replace them, what is the best way to adjust them, tighter or
looser than usual?
3-Occasionally I see the AWC hub (with coaster brake) available at a
reasonable price. Is it easy to simply retrofit this hub in order to
get a coaster brake or is it dimensionally different? Also, am I
correct in assuming that the coaster brake is going to stop better in
the rain than the calipers (which really give me almost nothing)? In
fact, the rear caliper on this bike is pretty useless even when dry.
Is it possible to drop a Nexus 7-speed into these same dropouts?
4-Chain line: I noticed that the pedals move when the bike is
freewheeling and thought I had the chain too tight. What I discovered
is that the front and rear sprockets are not in the same plane when
the rear wheel is lined up properly, so the binding chain causes the
cranks to turn. Is this normal, a problem with the wheel dish, or some
other part prone to failure?
5-I have seen other Raleigh 3-speeds with grip twist shifters. Is it
possible to replace the trigger shifter with one of these?
6-Given the state of the cones, should I try to rebuild the bottom
bracket as well to avoid damage to the frame. There isn't a shop in my
area that really has expertise on these old bikes, and none of them
have the little press for removing the cotters, so I would probably
end up doing this myself using the hammer method. I already had to
drive one of the cotters in with a hammer as a crankarm was loose.
Someone had replaced one of the nuts with a metric nut (which was
stripped, of course). This makes me wonder of the bottom bracket has
already been rebuilt by someone a little clueless.
If you made it this far, then please share your opinion as to whether
I should just leave well enough (I think) alone, or put some effort
and (not too much) money into it.
Thanks,
Mike