Beginner Road Bike?

hbrooke28

Aug 31, 2011
Okay, so i'm looking for some advice....
I really want to get a road bike but i'm on a tight budget. I have somewhere between $300-400 to spend. I have been looking everywhere online to try to find the right bike for me, but unfortunately I just don't know enough about cycling. Below are the bikes I am considering.... any feedback would be appreciated!

Tommaso Imola ( http://www.giantnerd.com/tommaso-imola-road-bike-beginner.html )

Dawes Lightning DT ( http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/lt_dt.htm )

I have also looked at low end Motobecane and Mercier bikes.

Right now the Tommaso is the front-runner. Thoughts?!

I gave Tommaso a look a while back. The bikes appear to be a good value, the downside is not being able to actually see and ride one in person prior to purchase. It has integrated brake and shift levers which could be a step up from the dawes - I don't have any experience with sunrace shifters, but I did use a sunrace 8 speed casette several years back which worked ok. Be aware that you will need to get accesories as well, pedals are not included.

The seller's return policy looks OK. As long as you don't mess the bike up, you are out $50 by sending it back if it doesn't work out.

Personally, I would check out some local bike shops. At this time of year they may be clearancing out some stock. You may be able to pick up a more common brand named bike for $100 to $200 more. At least you will get an idea of what you like and are looking for in a bike.

My advice would be to visit local bike shops as well. Not only do they have last year close-outs going on, but they will probably have trade-ins available as well. While they may be used, some will be very little used.. and you could end up with much more bike for the $. In addition, you will be able to really look at what's available, make sure you get a good fit.. etc.

Originally Posted by Mansmind .

My advice would be to visit local bike shops as well. Not only do they have last year close-outs going on, but they will probably have trade-ins available as well. While they may be used, some will be very little used.. and you could end up with much more bike for the $. In addition, you will be able to really look at what's available, make sure you get a good fit.. etc.

+1 And the bike shops have usually made sure those trade-ins are road worthy and will often offer a short warranty period....