Bent Cranks On Ebay

Michael Green wrote:

> Hilarious. (Photoshopage? If so very clever, if not who would actually
> make such a thing?)

They're genuine all right. I have seen a pair wif mine own eyes, circa
1983. They didn't do anything, except weigh more than standard cranks.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Michael Green wrote:

> "Dr Curious" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > No not they're mine and it isn't April 1st
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/3w34m
> >
> > With more details on here -
> >
> > http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/PMP_crk_ad.htm
> >
> > Just the things to go with your biopace chainrings and
> > Hetchins curly stays
> >

> > Curious

> Hilarious. (Photoshopage? If so very clever, if not who would actually
> make such a thing?)

They were real alright. I remember them being advertised in the early 80s.
There was a lengthy debate in the letters page of the Comic about whether
they did any good or not.

I'm sure I remember seeing pictures of one of the top 'testers' using them
in time trials.

"Michael Green" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Dr Curious" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:<[email protected]>...
> > No not they're mine and it isn't April 1st
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/3w34m
> >
> > With more details on here -
> >
> > http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/PMP_crk_ad.htm
> >
> > Just the things to go with your biopace chainrings and
> > Hetchins curly stays
> >

> > Curious

> Hilarious. (Photoshopage? If so very clever, if not who would actually
> make such a thing?)

Dunno.

Its hard to believe but Classicrendezvous is a fairly well respected
website for old bikes. There's more on here, the main PDP page

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/PMP_main.htm

That, and the ebay auction, seems to suggest they're legit.
They never caught on, perhaps not surprisingly, as you'd imagine
them snapping in half before you'd reached the bottom of the road.

Curious

in message <[email protected]>, Michael
Green ('[email protected]') wrote:

> "Dr Curious" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> No not they're mine and it isn't April 1st
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/3w34m
>>
>> With more details on here -
>>
>> http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/PMP_crk_ad.htm
>>
>> Just the things to go with your biopace chainrings and
>> Hetchins curly stays

> Hilarious. (Photoshopage? If so very clever, if not who would actually
> make such a thing?)

They are real (and I've seen more extreme examples), date from the early
sixties, and were supposed (through some advanced pseudo-science and
handwaving) to improve efficiency. Both Sheldon Brown and I like
Biopace chainrings, though.

;; this is not a .sig

Dave Larrington wrote:

> Michael Green wrote:
>
> > Hilarious. (Photoshopage? If so very clever, if not who would actually
> > make such a thing?)

> They're genuine all right. I have seen a pair wif mine own eyes, circa
> 1983. They didn't do anything, except weigh more than standard cranks.

Ah, but they looked diffrunt, like white plastic headsets and slotted
cranks ;-)

John B

Mike K Smith wrote:

> They were real alright. I remember them being advertised in the early 80s.
> There was a lengthy debate in the letters page of the Comic about whether
> they did any good or not.
>
> I'm sure I remember seeing pictures of one of the top 'testers' using them
> in time trials.

ISTR it was Glenn Longland but ICBW.
ICB very W.

John B

JohnB wrote:

> > They were real alright. I remember them being advertised in the early 80s.
> > There was a lengthy debate in the letters page of the Comic about whether
> > they did any good or not.
> >
> > I'm sure I remember seeing pictures of one of the top 'testers' using them
> > in time trials.

> ISTR it was Glenn Longland but ICBW.
> ICB very W.

You may well be right. Unless someone is prepared to go through the big
pile of old copies of Cycling in their attic/wardrobe/shed I guess we'll
leave it at that.

"Mike K Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> JohnB wrote:
>
> > > They were real alright. I remember them being advertised in the early

80s.
> > > There was a lengthy debate in the letters page of the Comic about

whether
> > > they did any good or not.
> > >
> > > I'm sure I remember seeing pictures of one of the top 'testers' using

them
> > > in time trials.

> > ISTR it was Glenn Longland but ICBW.
> > ICB very W.

> You may well be right. Unless someone is prepared to go through the big
> pile of old copies of Cycling in their attic/wardrobe/shed I guess we'll
> leave it at that.

From -

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/PMP_crk_ad.htm

1981: The British magazine Cycling issues a set of P.M.P. cranks to an
unnamed first category Surrey roadman for road testing. "Whatever the
theories, in practice our roadman tester felt the P.M.P. cranks offered
an advantage and surely that is the true criterion," Cycling reported.
The roadman himself said, "At low pedaling speeds, dead center seemed
to be removed. "

Curious

Mike K Smith wrote:

> JohnB wrote:
>
> > > They were real alright. I remember them being advertised in the early 80s.
> > > There was a lengthy debate in the letters page of the Comic about whether
> > > they did any good or not.
> > >
> > > I'm sure I remember seeing pictures of one of the top 'testers' using them
> > > in time trials.

> > ISTR it was Glenn Longland but ICBW.
> > ICB very W.

> You may well be right. Unless someone is prepared to go through the big
> pile of old copies of Cycling in their attic/wardrobe/shed I guess we'll
> leave it at that.

But just *if* they do, they could also look out for the tandem where the
two riders faced each other so the front rider's back acted as an
aerodynamic shape and the rear rider looked over his head to steer.

ICBW (again) but I think that might have been Glenn too; at around the
same time.

Mad. Utterly mad.

John B

JohnB wrote:

> But just *if* they do, they could also look out for the tandem where
> the two riders faced each other so the front rider's back acted as an
> aerodynamic shape and the rear rider looked over his head to steer.

I might have a picture of this in an old mag, but since I am at the Nut
Mines and the mags are back in Larrington Towers...

> Mad. Utterly mad.

Fast though. That's why They banned it.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dave Larrington wrote:

> JohnB wrote:
>
> > But just *if* they do, they could also look out for the tandem where
> > the two riders faced each other so the front rider's back acted as an
> > aerodynamic shape and the rear rider looked over his head to steer.

> I might have a picture of this in an old mag, but since I am at the Nut
> Mines and the mags are back in Larrington Towers...
>
> > Mad. Utterly mad.

> Fast though. That's why They banned it.

And damned dangerous as they were testers and testers always ride head
down ;-)

If you have a scan of it I'd love a copy.

John B