buckled wheel or bent spindle ?

Glenn Spray

Guest
Hello All ,

can anyone help with the following question .

whilst out on my MTB I took a jump and landed very heavily on the back wheel
, this resulted in the wheel appearing to move from left to right at the rim
..

Now is there a way to tell if i have buckled the wheel or bent the
hub/axle/spindle .

Also is there away to get the gear cogs off without having to buy a specail
tool to fit in the cogsas i cannot get the spindle out to check if it is
bent .

thanks for any help

Glenn

Glenn Spray wrote:
> Hello All ,
>
> can anyone help with the following question .
>
> whilst out on my MTB I took a jump and landed very heavily on the back wheel
> , this resulted in the wheel appearing to move from left to right at the rim
> .
>
> Now is there a way to tell if i have buckled the wheel or bent the
> hub/axle/spindle .
>
> Also is there away to get the gear cogs off without having to buy a specail
> tool to fit in the cogsas i cannot get the spindle out to check if it is
> bent .
>
> thanks for any help

Its buckled.

On Feb 18, 5:26 pm, "Glenn Spray" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Now is there a way to tell if i have buckled the wheel or bent the
> hub/axle/spindle .

Even if the spindle is bent, the wheel shouldn't wobble as the
bearings still spin around the axle in the correct plane

<would insert some ascii art to explain but can't do it right>

> Also is there away to get the gear cogs off without having to buy a specail
> tool to fit in the cogsas i cannot get the spindle out to check if it is
> bent .

Take the wheel out and turn the axle. If it 'draws a circle' then
it's bent, if the ends don't wobble then it's straight.

If your bearings are in a race (rather than loose) then you can
usually remove the axle without having to remove the gears.

peter

in message <[email protected]>, Glenn Spray
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hello All ,
>
> can anyone help with the following question .
>
> whilst out on my MTB I took a jump and landed very heavily on the back
> wheel , this resulted in the wheel appearing to move from left to right
> at the rim .
>
> Now is there a way to tell if i have buckled the wheel or bent the
> hub/axle/spindle .
>
> Also is there away to get the gear cogs off without having to buy a
> specail tool to fit in the cogsas i cannot get the spindle out to check
> if it is bent .

It's buckled.

;; no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.
;; Jim Morrison

Glenn Spray wrote:
> Hello All ,
>
> can anyone help with the following question .
>
> whilst out on my MTB I took a jump and landed very heavily on the back wheel
> , this resulted in the wheel appearing to move from left to right at the rim
> .
>
> Now is there a way to tell if i have buckled the wheel or bent the
> hub/axle/spindle .

The axle doesn't turn, so if it's bent, the wheel might rotate in the
wrong plane but it won't wobble left to right.

Your wheel is buckled.

> Also is there away to get the gear cogs off without having to buy a specail
> tool to fit in the cogsas i cannot get the spindle out to check if it is
> bent .

Just unbolt the locknut and cone on one side (whichever is easiest to
reach). The spindle and a bunch of balls will fall out easily enough.

Cheers everyone ,

new wheel it is then

thx

Glenn

"Al C-F" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, Glenn Spray
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> Cheers everyone ,
>>
>> new wheel it is then

> Why? Fixing a buckled wheel (that still rotates in the frame) is a piece of
> cake - take you all of half an hour, and no parts, so (apart from your
> time) free.

And it's a very relaxing way to while away that half hour...

In article <[email protected]>, Simon
Brooke
[email protected] says...
> in message <[email protected]>, Glenn Spray
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Cheers everyone ,
> >
> > new wheel it is then

> Why? Fixing a buckled wheel (that still rotates in the frame) is a piece of
> cake

That rather depends quite how buckled it is - fair enough if it's the
sort of sideways sway that you get from breaking a couple of spokes, but
if there's a major ding in the rim you'll be lucky to put it right.

Rob Morley wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, Simon
> Brooke
> [email protected] says...
>> in message <[email protected]>, Glenn Spray
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>>> Cheers everyone ,
>>>
>>> new wheel it is then

>> Why? Fixing a buckled wheel (that still rotates in the frame) is a piece of
>> cake

> That rather depends quite how buckled it is - fair enough if it's the
> sort of sideways sway that you get from breaking a couple of spokes, but
> if there's a major ding in the rim you'll be lucky to put it right.

I don't know what I'm talking about.... but from Glenn's description my
guess would be that the rim is flattened which because of uneven spoke
tension due to dishing led to the buckling.

I would certainly try to fix it but would advise Glenn to look out for
the radial difference as well as the lateral.

Glenn Spray wrote:
> Cheers everyone ,
>
> new wheel it is then

I'd have a go at truing the wheel via the spokes. It might not /stay/ true
if the rim itself is bent, but still it's worth a try.

Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to fix a bent rim, but apparently this
is possible sometimes (after detensioning the spokes).

~PB

In article <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
[email protected] says...
> Glenn Spray wrote:
> > Cheers everyone ,
> >
> > new wheel it is then

> I'd have a go at truing the wheel via the spokes. It might not /stay/ true
> if the rim itself is bent, but still it's worth a try.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to fix a bent rim, but apparently this
> is possible sometimes (after detensioning the spokes).

It can be done with softer alloy rims. To remove a flat spot take out
the spokes near it and beat the rim with a rubber mallet (while
suspending the wheel in your other hand) until the flat spot becomes a
slight high spot, then replace and retension the spokes. To fix a
twisted rim that's out of true you can sometimes slacken the surrounding
spokes, lay it on a carpeted floor and jump on it in the right place, or
beat it against said carpeted floor (probably best to have concrete
under the carpet). In either case you may need to tweak the bead
flanges with pliers (protect the flange with a bit of cardboard or rag)
or a soft hammer to get them parallel again.