'Bent (sun)Glasses

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bentabit, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. Bentabit

    Bentabit Guest

    yep, sunglasses. I'd like to have a pair that I can change the lenses on to fit bright (shade lens)
    and dim (clear lens) light conditions. I've looked at several brands and am amazed how ex$pensive
    most are. I've tried a $15 pair of clear shooting (safety) glasses but they don't stay on and have a
    pair of Serengeti that are ok until about 20
    - 22 mph then the air spills over the frame and into the eye. In a perfect world I'd take rose and
    clear lenses. I'm in a little town so there isn't anyplace to go to compare and try them and the
    websites are more confusing than helpful (Geez - just looking at Oakley's gives me no clue as to
    the intent of each frame and I don't think I want to pay $200 for an autographed Lance Armstrong
    pair). Enough rant - what have others found that work to block the wind, yet allow for a change
    of lenses?

    Thanks Bill Brookings, Or

    > yep, sunglasses. I'd like to have a pair that I can change the lenses on to fit bright (shade
    > lens) and dim (clear lens) light conditions. I've looked at several brands and am amazed how
    > ex$pensive most are. I've tried a $15 pair of clear shooting (safety) glasses but they don't stay
    > on and have a pair of Serengeti that are ok until about 20
    > - 22 mph then the air spills over the frame and into the eye. In a perfect world I'd take rose and
    > clear lenses. I'm in a little town so there isn't anyplace to go to compare and try them and the
    > websites are more confusing than helpful (Geez - just looking at Oakley's gives me no clue as to
    > the intent of each frame and I don't think I want to pay $200 for an autographed Lance Armstrong
    > pair). Enough rant - what have others found that work to block the wind, yet allow for a change
    > of lenses?

    I used to use Oakley M-Frames and Smith glasses. Recently I discovered these at Campmor. Uvex Pro
    Sport Pack Sunglasses Item Number: 86518

    At $29.95, they were so cheap (compared to the Oakleys) that I got two pair

    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prmenbr= 226&prrfnbr=13415183

    They seem to avopid all the problems that you noted above. I use the clear lenses to ride to work
    and the grey for sunny afternoons.
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    BikeNashbar,REI,Sierra, etc Closeouts I got Bolle Vigilante w/4 colors lens for 49.95, 1/2 retail
    list price. Love em.

  4. "BentABit" skrev

    > Enough rant - what have others found that work to block the wind, yet allow for a change
    > of lenses?

    Cateye Catscans. Just toss the nosebridges to get the bottom part of the lens close to your
    skin. I also put some small foamstrips on the inside of the frame to stop sweat from running
    down into my eyes.

    M.

  5. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    www.performancebikes.com they have their own "house" brand which is nice, including a Rx model
    that's hard to beat.

    BentABit wrote:
    > yep, sunglasses. I'd like to have a pair that I can change the lenses on to fit bright (shade
    > lens) and dim (clear lens) light conditions. I've looked at several brands and am amazed how
    > ex$pensive most are. I've tried a $15 pair of clear shooting (safety) glasses but they don't stay
    > on and have a pair of Serengeti that are ok until about 20
    > - 22 mph then the air spills over the frame and into the eye. In a perfect world I'd take rose and
    > clear lenses. I'm in a little town so there isn't anyplace to go to compare and try them and the
    > websites are more confusing than helpful (Geez - just looking at Oakley's gives me no clue as to
    > the intent of each frame and I don't think I want to pay $200 for an autographed Lance Armstrong
    > pair). Enough rant - what have others found that work to block the wind, yet allow for a change
    > of lenses?
    >
    > Thanks Bill Brookings, Or

  6. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    Performance carries a helmet visor that has clear, yellow and smoked visors. They are much cheaper
    than sunglasses would be.

    Derek

    In <[email protected]> BentABit wrote:
    > yep, sunglasses. I'd like to have a pair that I can change the lenses on to fit bright (shade
    > lens) and dim (clear lens) light conditions. I've looked at several brands and am amazed how
    > ex$pensive most are. I've tried a $15 pair of clear shooting (safety) glasses but they don't stay
    > on and have a pair of Serengeti that are ok until about 20
    > - 22 mph then the air spills over the frame and into the eye. In a perfect world I'd take rose and
    > clear lenses. I'm in a little town so there isn't anyplace to go to compare and try them and the
    > websites are more confusing than helpful (Geez - just looking at Oakley's gives me no clue as to
    > the intent of each frame and I don't think I want to pay $200 for an autographed Lance Armstrong
    > pair). Enough rant - what have others found that work to block the wind, yet allow for a change
    > of lenses?
    >
    > Thanks Bill Brookings, Or

  7. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    This is not the answer you were hoping for: get a dark pair and a very light pair, at your local
    drugstore. The time involved in changing the lenses in the fancy biking glasses you want, plus the
    fact that you have to carry the other lenses anyway, makes the convenience factor infinitesimal.

    I use those big dark wraparounds that are probably designed for cataract patients. They keep the
    breezes out at high speeds but allow for sweat evaporation. For dimlight biking glasses, I'd get a
    cheap pair of clear wraparound safety glasses from the local hardware store and I'd wear a small
    pair of tinted sunglasses underneath them; usually plenty of room there.

    Please send all the money you have just saved, to my home address.

    C.C.,Rider

    > From: [email protected] (BentABit) Organization: http://groups.google.com/ Newsgroups:
    > alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: 16 Apr 2003 20:27:34 -0700 Subject: 'Bent (sun)Glasses
    >
    > yep, sunglasses. I'd like to have a pair that I can change the lenses on to fit bright (shade
    > lens) and dim (clear lens) light conditions. I've looked at several brands and am amazed how
    > ex$pensive most are. I've tried a $15 pair of clear shooting (safety) glasses but they don't stay
    > on and have a pair of Serengeti that are ok until about 20
    > - 22 mph then the air spills over the frame and into the eye. In a perfect world I'd take rose and
    > clear lenses. I'm in a little town so there isn't anyplace to go to compare and try them and the
    > websites are more confusing than helpful (Geez - just looking at Oakley's gives me no clue as to
    > the intent of each frame and I don't think I want to pay $200 for an autographed Lance Armstrong
    > pair). Enough rant - what have others found that work to block the wind, yet allow for a change
    > of lenses?
    >
    > Thanks Bill Brookings, Or

  8. Or use it to by the second mirror you will need to avoid taking agesandagesandages to swap your Take
    A Look from one pair of bins to the other...

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  9. Mlb

    Mlb Guest

    I used to think like that, then I got a pair of nice sunglasses. Wow. Takes about 30 seconds to
    replace the lenses, the ability to have the amount of light "just right" is very nice. I wear the
    clear mostly, since I ride at night alot. Ever try to find a comfortable, good fitting pair of clear
    lensed saftey glasses? Good luck! Good glasses fit better and are constructed better (well most
    are). My Bolle's for example use some synthetic rubber type material for the nose piece and a band
    across the brow. This material "grips" better when wet by sweat! No pushing sliding glasses back up.
    The frames are MUCH more resistant to breaking than cheapies. Sometimes you really do get what you
    pay for. And sometimes it's worth paying more. JMO

  10. Mike Warner

    Mike Warner Guest

    BentABit wrote:

    > yep, sunglasses. I'd like to have a pair that I can change the lenses on to fit bright (shade
    > lens) and dim (clear lens) light conditions. I've looked at several brands and am amazed how
    > ex$pensive most are. I've tried a $15 pair of clear shooting (safety) glasses but they don't stay
    > on and have a pair of Serengeti that are ok until about 20
    > - 22 mph then the air spills over the frame and into the eye. In a perfect world I'd take rose and
    > clear lenses. I'm in a little town so there isn't anyplace to go to compare and try them and the
    > websites are more confusing than helpful (Geez - just looking at Oakley's gives me no clue as to
    > the intent of each frame and I don't think I want to pay $200 for an autographed Lance Armstrong
    > pair). Enough rant - what have others found that work to block the wind, yet allow for a change
    > of lenses?
    >
    > Thanks Bill Brookings, Or

    Try your local "dollar" store. I tried on some goggles (with elastic headband) that would appear
    well suited for this application. $5.99.

    mc
    --
    Replace "crap" with "warnerm" in my email addr

  11. Eddie H

    Eddie H Guest

    http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?itempageitemid=20911

    This Ryders product has three sets of lenses. They look and fit great and are a good value.

    Eddie

    [email protected] (BentABit) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > yep, sunglasses. I'd like to have a pair that I can change the lenses on to fit bright (shade
    > lens) and dim (clear lens) light conditions. I've looked at several brands and am amazed how
    > ex$pensive most are. I've tried a $15 pair of clear shooting (safety) glasses but they don't stay
    > on and have a pair of Serengeti that are ok until about 20
    > - 22 mph then the air spills over the frame and into the eye. In a perfect world I'd take rose and
    > clear lenses. I'm in a little town so there isn't anyplace to go to compare and try them and the
    > websites are more confusing than helpful (Geez - just looking at Oakley's gives me no clue as to
    > the intent of each frame and I don't think I want to pay $200 for an autographed Lance Armstrong
    > pair). Enough rant - what have others found that work to block the wind, yet allow for a change
    > of lenses?
    >
    > Thanks Bill Brookings, Or

  12. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

  13. Carl

    Carl Guest

    (BentABit) wrote:

    > Enough rant - what have others found that work to block the wind, yet allow for a change
    > of lenses?

    I've got the Oakley "M-Frames" (which I think are the only model they offer that allow you to swap
    lenses). I find cheap glasses give me a headache (I think it's the distortion). The Oakley's were
    somewhat expensive, but they're comfortable with good optical quality. So long as you take care of
    them they should last a long time.

    Several people in my club use Smith glasses, which are very similar to the Oakley M-Frames, and are
    happy with them as well.

    -Carl

  14. Grant Sellek

    Grant Sellek Guest

    [email protected] (BentABit) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > yep, sunglasses. I'd like to have a pair that I can change the lenses on to fit bright (shade
    > lens) and dim (clear lens) light conditions. I've looked at several brands and am amazed how
    > ex$pensive most are. <<snip>> Thanks Bill Brookings, Or

    Try these http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod140.htm AUS$39 is only US$21 after deducting GST
    tax. Dean Woods is a former Aussie racer and good bloke. I have bought a few things from him and he
    is good, and not snobbish about boutique brands.

    I use prescriptions glasses with variable tinting and sports frames.

    Grant Adelaide, Australia

  15. Eddie H

    Eddie H Guest

    Similar, yes, at a glance, but the Ryders have a subtly hipper design (Oakleyesque). I'm happy with
    my Ryders. I'm sure Uvex is fine, too, though. And saving $20 is always good.

    Eddie

  16. Cletus Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > http://www.supergo.com/itemdisplay.asp?itempageitemid=20911
    > >
    > > This Ryders product has three sets of lenses. They look and fit great and are a good value.
    >
    > These look very similar to the $29.95 UVEX that I recommended previously.

    I use a pair of UVEX-like yellow tinted (low light)glasses from my LBS (~$19)with a pair of
    polarized clip-on dark lenses - I flip the polarizers up/dowm depending on light conditions which
    vary from sun to cloudy to shade on a given ride.

  17. Bill,

    This winter I bought Rudy Project Vigilante Sunglasses. I also purchased it with 2 additional
    lenses, a polarized grey lens that completely knocks out glare and a red tint lens that is excellent
    for overcast days.

    I decided on the Rudy Projects because I wear prescription lenses and their clip-on prescription
    lens holder (fits inside) seemed to work very well for me. I had my local optomotrist fill the
    prescription with progressive bifocal lenses. The sunglasses work very well and actually during the
    winter they were great when I was doing battle with the 2 foot snow dump we had. I was snowblowing
    and did not even have to utilize the lens shift position that exposes a vent hole at the top of lens
    near the frame. One day when we had super humid bike riding conditions (and it did start to rain), I
    did use the vent hole position and it worked very well.

    The Rudy Projects are expensive especially if you buy extra lenses (added expense if you use the
    prescription lens clip-on). If you have the dough and want a luxury...and enjoy them, then get the
    Rudy Projects. Performance Bike has them but I wound up buying it locally from a bike store that was
    offering a discount thru the bike club newspaper (PPTC - Potomac Pedalers Touring Club). The bike
    store discounted the sunglasses 10% which more than made up for any of the websites offering the
    same glasses. But...any way you cut it, they are expensive ! (Lifetime warranty on the
    interchangeable lenses.)

    Larry Raphael Barcroft Dakota #2, Metallic Blue Oakton, VA

    [email protected] (BentABit) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > yep, sunglasses. I'd like to have a pair that I can change the lenses on to fit bright (shade
    > lens) and dim (clear lens) light conditions. I've looked at several brands and am amazed how
    > ex$pensive most are. I've tried a $15 pair of clear shooting (safety) glasses but they don't stay
    > on and have a pair of Serengeti that are ok until about 20
    > - 22 mph then the air spills over the frame and into the eye. In a perfect world I'd take rose and
    > clear lenses. I'm in a little town so there isn't anyplace to go to compare and try them and the
    > websites are more confusing than helpful (Geez - just looking at Oakley's gives me no clue as to
    > the intent of each frame and I don't think I want to pay $200 for an autographed Lance Armstrong
    > pair). Enough rant - what have others found that work to block the wind, yet allow for a change
    > of lenses?
    >
    > Thanks Bill Brookings, Or

  18. Bentabit

    Bentabit Guest

    Amazing all the tips and help from all of you. Thanks to all for giving me a number of new places to
    look and a few ideas that I never would have had otherwise.

    It'll either be the Bolle (for the right colors) or Uvex (for the price). I'll be going to Portland
    in a week or so and see if I can't find those models there. I may buy the Uvex and not worry about
    finding something else as the price is a winner

    Again thanks!

    Bill Brookings, Or

  19. Harryo

    Harryo Guest

    [email protected] (Larry Raphael) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Bill,
    >
    > This winter I bought Rudy Project Vigilante Sunglasses. I also purchased it with 2 additional
    > lenses, a polarized grey lens that completely knocks out glare and a red tint lens that is
    > excellent for overcast days.
    >
    > I decided on the Rudy Projects because I wear prescription lenses and their clip-on prescription
    > lens holder (fits inside) seemed to work very well for me. I had my local optomotrist fill the
    > prescription with progressive bifocal lenses.

    Vigilante is a Bolle model. I do not believe Rudy Project makes a model with the same name. The
    Bolle Vigilante does offer a prescription insert and interchangable lens. I have a pair of the
    Bolle Vigilante SES glasses, with a prescription insert, and am quite pleased with them. They come
    with 4 sets of lens, which cover all lighting conditions. The lens are easily changed and the wrap
    around style does a great job with both glarew and wind. They are quite comfortable. After having
    them for a little over a year, the soft, rubber nosepads had become pretty ragged. I called
    customer service and 2 days later I received a new pair of pads, no charge. Yes, they cost a bit
    more than some but they are worth it, IMO. As others have mentioned, they can sometimes be found,
    on sale, for half price.

    Harry Jiles

  20. Harry,

    You are right. I made a mistake. The Rudy Projects I bought were the Kerosene Model in Titanium
    Honeycomb color. I had also tried on the Bolle Vigilante Model at some time earlier. They were fine
    and that was what got me interested in buying sunglasses in the first place. But my eyelashes were
    slightly touching the prescription lenses of the glasses I tried on. (I guess I have long lashes.)
    So...I kept looking around and a few months later, I then found a bike store locally that was
    selling the Rudy Projects. They worked for me. But they are noticeably more expensive than the
    Bolles. Probably if someone is interested in getting a pair of bike sunglasses, they should
    seriously consider the Bolles first since they are fine and are less expensive. But the Rudy
    Projects are another option just as is the Brikos, Oakleys, etc. Only thing is the Oakleys do not
    have a prescription insert. The sunglasses with prescriptions built into the sunglass lens is also
    an option with a number of these manufacturers but then you have to settle for one of the frames
    that has less curvature in the sunglass lens.

    Larry Raphael

    news:<[email protected]>...