Best/Cheapest Upgrade for my bike?

Tires .. I like the Veloflex Kevlars.
Another good option would be some really comfy shorts - I like the Giordana Tenax Bibs.

Then, ride ride ride.

Do you have a heart rate monitor or cyclocomputer?
A bike computer with a cadence feature was probably my best <AUD$50 performance purchase to date.

munga said:
Do you have a heart rate monitor or cyclocomputer?
A bike computer with a cadence feature was probably my best <AUD$50 performance purchase to date.
Agreed. A cadence computer made a huge difference for me, probably more than that money spent on any equipment I could think of (other than changing tubes which slowly went flat, it's not worth putting up with that).

SlowestCat3 said:
...all with Campy, of course.
blah.

The best thing you could buy if you want to further your training is a heart rate monitor, or going to the next level a powermeter.

The best upgrade for your bike would definitely be tyres, closely followed by the right saddle, then wheels, That is assuming the fit is right.

Hmmm... spent far too much money on my road bike, but I like tinkering with it.

It would depend on what you want to improve.

Performance? Cadence/HRM computer would be my first choice. When you can see the improvement, you tend to push even harder. After that, an aero wheelset. Not cheap, but I noticed a difference. Light tires make a difference, but they flat and cut easier.

Comfort? First, a decent riding kit - jersey, shorts, gloves, sunglasses. Made a huge difference, not being soaked in sweat, and wraparound sunglasses that keep the sun from hitting your eyes from the side. Then, clipless pedals if you don't already have them. Takes some getting used to, but worth the effort. Then, a proper saddle. Took me four tries before I found the best one for me.