Best cold weather shoe covers??

Kb

Guest
Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe
cover available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my
Activa cold weather booties/covers are way to bulky. Is
there a brand out there that stands above the rest in terms
of being warm but not overly thick/bulky, and are easy to
get on over the shoes?? Thanks!

> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe
> cover available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my
> Activa cold
weather
> booties/covers are way to bulky. Is there a brand out
> there that
stands
> above the rest in terms of being warm but not overly
> thick/bulky,
and are
> easy to get on over the shoes??

I like Shimano half covers, they give protection where you
need it (toes and top of foot): http://www.chainreactioncyc-
les.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Socks&ModelID=3229

"KB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe
> cover available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my
> Activa cold
weather
> booties/covers are way to bulky. Is there a brand out
> there that
stands
> above the rest in terms of being warm but not overly
> thick/bulky,
and are
> easy to get on over the shoes?? Thanks!

"KB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe
> cover available?? I have size 11 shoes, and find that my
> Activa cold weather booties/covers are way to bulky. Is
> there a brand out there that stands above the rest in
> terms of being warm but not overly thick/bulky, and are
> easy to get on over the shoes??

I've never like neoprene covers, they're not warm enough
for all their bulk and are a pain to get on/off. Lycra
covers just don't provide enough warmth. I wound up making
my own, 2-part system. I have thick polar fleece toe covers
worn under lycra stretch full booties. I made my own since
I have size 52 shoes and a sewing machine, but if you have
normal feet, you might be able to do the same thing by
cutting up a pair of thick wool socks and using an off-the
shelf, slightly larger pair of stretch booties. The other
secret is to have a pair of cold weather shoes a size or 2
larger than normal so you can wear thick socks without
hindering circulation. If they have mesh vents, cover them
with duct tape.

KB wrote:

> Hi all. Just wondering, what is the best cold weather shoe
> cover available??

I've tried 1) quilted nylon & polyester: 80's - too hot
above freezing,
2) Pearl Izumi's polyurethane coated lycra: really hard to
get on and off, doesn't breathe so your feet steam, and
not the warmest,
3) neoprene toe caps (Quintana Roo? I think): good if not
very cold, but miserable on really cold days

...and have settled on 4) Windtex full-shoe covers. Much
warmer than the thin fabric would suggest on cold days, on
warmer days the breathability keeps them from being a foot
sauna. Comfortable for a very wide range of temps, in my
experience.

Mine (Sidi-labelled, no idea who really makes 'em) have a
lycra attachment up the back, and no sole - they come on and
off really easy.

Mark Janeba

Anyone try the PI Amphib booties? The look like they might
be easier to get on as the entire back opens from the side
I think. Too bulky though? I would buy one of the winter
specific riding shoes offered by Northwave or Gaerne, but
my feet are pretty wacky and don't fit standard shoes well
(use r7's).

"Mark Janeba" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:wCDCc.137954$3x.60151@attbi_s54...