Best Laid Plans

Chris

Guest
Dammit. Had the whole day off and nothing to do but work on
the CrossCheck. Shoulda been done, but I cannot get the
freaking front derailleur to work.

It's an XTR (M952) TS pulling off of 105 STIs...if it shifts
properly the cage hits the crankarm. If the cage doesn't hit
the arm, it's not shifting. Anybody got anything?

That, and when I took the bike in to get the bars wrapped (I
would screw that up) I managed to get two parking tickets
totaling $47.50 in front of the LBS.

Coulda been a kickass day, what with finishing the badass
bike, but hey, ya can't win 'em all.

Chris

Chris wrote:

> Dammit. Had the whole day off and nothing to do but work
> on the CrossCheck. Shoulda been done, but I cannot get the
> freaking front derailleur to work.
>
> It's an XTR (M952) TS pulling off of 105 STIs...if it
> shifts properly the cage hits the crankarm. If the cage
> doesn't hit the arm, it's not shifting. Anybody got
> anything?
>
> That, and when I took the bike in to get the bars wrapped
> (I would screw that up) I managed to get two parking
> tickets totaling $47.50 in front of the LBS.
>
> Coulda been a kickass day, what with finishing the badass
> bike, but hey, ya can't win 'em all.
>
> Chris

Man, I think I hate the front der more than the rear one!
Don't be afraid to take a pair of pliers to the cage and
bend the damn thing if ya have to.

--
Slacker

> Man, I think I hate the front der more than the rear one!
> Don't be afraid to take a pair of pliers to the cage and
> bend the damn thing if ya have to.
>
> --
> Slacker

Been there...one ride last year a chain link decided to
open up and surround the cage rather then get pushed onto
a bigger ring and the cheapo LX front mech got racked.
Some Vise-Grips and Channel-Loks later I had a perfect
mech again.

I've fooled with this drivetrain (105 shifters, XTR front,
Deore rear, SRAM 7(?) cassette, Ritchey Pro V-Cross cranks)
for too long. I'm gonna suck it up and pack it in and drop
it off at the LBS tomorrow. Let them have my headache, and
my dollars.

Chris

Slacker wrote:

> Man, I think I hate the front der more than the rear one!
> Don't be afraid to take a pair of pliers to the cage and
> bend the damn thing if ya have to.

As a last resort! I've bent the cage before when problems
lay elsewhere. Ultimately caused even more problems.

> Dammit. Had the whole day off and nothing to do but
> work on the
CrossCheck.
> Shoulda been done, but I cannot get the freaking front
> derailleur to work.
>
> It's an XTR (M952) TS pulling off of 105 STIs...if it
> shifts properly the cage hits the crankarm. If the cage
> doesn't hit the arm, it's not
shifting.
> Anybody got anything?
>
> That, and when I took the bike in to get the bars wrapped
> (I would screw that up) I managed to get two parking
> tickets totaling $47.50 in front of the LBS.
>
> Coulda been a kickass day, what with finishing the badass
> bike, but hey,
ya
> can't win 'em all.

You got it angled in right up front? - They don't have to be
parallel to the chain rings yaknow. Also, the 3 - 5 mm or
whatever above the big ring isn't always the best on some
set-ups - I've had my front mechs as high a 10mm or so for
various reasons, and had zero hassles.

Just a few thoughts is all.

Shaun aRe

>It's an XTR (M952) TS pulling off of 105 STIs...if it
>shifts properly the cage hits the crankarm. If the cage
>doesn't hit the arm, it's not shifting. Anybody got
>anything?
>
>That, and when I took the bike in to get the bars wrapped
>(I would screw that up) I managed to get two parking
>tickets totaling $47.50 in front of the LBS.
>
>Coulda been a kickass day, what with finishing the badass
>bike, but hey, ya can't win 'em all.
>
>Chris

Won't work. The indexed front shifter needs a matching front
derailer. Your options: run a friction barcon for the front,
or buy a Shimano road front derailer.

And don't be afraid of wrapping bars. Lots of brands of tape
(like Profile, for example) are re-wrappable, so if you
screw it up, you can just try again.

Cheers and good luck,

-Andrew Thorne

> Dammit. Had the whole day off and nothing to do but
> work on the
CrossCheck.
> Shoulda been done, but I cannot get the freaking front
> derailleur to work.
>
> It's an XTR (M952) TS pulling off of 105 STIs...if it
> shifts properly the cage hits the crankarm. If the cage
> doesn't hit the arm, it's not
shifting.
> Anybody got anything?
>
> That, and when I took the bike in to get the bars wrapped
> (I would screw that up) I managed to get two parking
> tickets totaling $47.50 in front of the LBS.
>
> Coulda been a kickass day, what with finishing the badass
> bike, but hey,
ya
> can't win 'em all.
>
> Chris

Andrew Thorne was right, I made the idiot beginner mistake
of pairing MTB fronts with road shifters. Picked up an
Ultegra at the LBS, and now I'm golden.

On a related note, anyone need a new XTR M952 BS BP with a 1
1/8 clamp? :)

Chris

>Andrew Thorne was right, I made the idiot beginner mistake
>of pairing MTB fronts with road shifters. Picked up an
>Ultegra at the LBS, and now I'm golden.

Not an idiot mistake at all. the idiot part was Shimano in
creating indexed front shifting in the first place. You
can't trim it, it's a PITA to set up even if you have all
the right parts, it makes you use a "set" of parts that may
or may not be perfect for a particular application, and it's
completely unneccessary - look at how well current Campy
front shifting works.

Cheers, and glad to hear it worked.

-Andrew "you still shoulda wrapped your own bars,
though" Thorne