Best power meter option for a triathlete?

tripowerdude

Jan 4, 2010
Hello

After having studied most of what I could read about why and how to use a power meter, I feel ready to place an order now.

The problem is that I don't know which model I should look for.

I train and race as a triathlete. Therefore I would appreciate a system that allows me to keep recording hr data when I leave the bike on the rack to start the run leg of the event.

I was told by a friend that Polar S725 (or something like that) would be a good fit. However, a customer agent at Polar mentioned that it was discountinued.

I'm a bit lost :confused:

Thank you for your help!

Hi Dude,

I'm not the best person here to answer your question. But since it remained unanswered let me at least give you my opinion.

I think that the best computer for a triathlete at the moment is probably the Garmin forerunner 310cx. It's a much better option than any Polar product since you can carry it with you whilst running.

It is compatible with most ANT+ power meters.

I know that a new Powertap model exists now at around 1000$. It's called Elite. I don't know if it's good or reliable but it's probably the cheapest but reliable option.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=27335

Thank you SE
Garmin 310CX specifications are indeed impressive. I already placed an order. However I haven't set my mind yet as to which power meter option to use. It seems that I have the choice between being stuck with the same wheel no matter the conditions or being stuck with the same frame :confused:

tripowerdude said:
Hello

I train and race as a triathlete. Therefore I would appreciate a system that allows me to keep recording hr data when I leave the bike on the rack to start the run leg of the event.

Thank you for your help!

I'm an old school roadie, gone triathlete, and now headed back to roadie status. I run a Power Tap. The Power Tap CPU can read a Garmin (305 in my case) HR strap.

tripowerdude said:
Thank you SE
Garmin 310CX specifications are indeed impressive. I already placed an order. However I haven't set my mind yet as to which power meter option to use. It seems that I have the choice between being stuck with the same wheel no matter the conditions or being stuck with the same frame :confused:
If you're a triathlete and you train with power, you will likely find yourself wanting the power meter in your races, which means you'll want it on both your race and your training wheels. That's going to be tough/expensive with the PT.

If you get a Quarq Cinqo crank based PM you can use it with whatever wheels you want, and it's actually very easy to move between frames. I just wouldn't want to do it all the time (not every single day anyway). If you know what you're doing it takes about 1 minute to move it, or about twice as long as moving a wheel. (If you don't believe me, here's a video of what it takes to move it, and this guy even used a torque wrench, which most people don't bother with:) [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibycOXD-Mw0[/ame] )

lanierb said:
If you're a triathlete and you train with power, you will likely find yourself wanting the power meter in your races, which means you'll want it on both your race and your training wheels. That's going to be tough/expensive with the PT.

I spent $80 for a wheel cover. Adds about a pound in weight and aerodynamically equivalent to a disc. Not too expensive...

jollyrogers said:
I spent $80 for a wheel cover. Adds about a pound in weight and aerodynamically equivalent to a disc. Not too expensive...
That's a good option too, though between the weight of the disk and the weight of the PT you are talking at least 1.5 lbs of added weight, which is a bunch in my book. Also, some people (and many triathletes) prefer or already own $2000 carbon race wheels, and if they want to use a power meter with them they need a crank based one.

lanierb said:
If you get a Quarq Cinqo crank based PM you can use it with whatever wheels you want, and it's actually very easy to move between frames. I just wouldn't want to do it all the time (not every single day anyway).
Crystal clear Lanierb, thank you very much.

lanierb said:
That's a good option too, though between the weight of the disk and the weight of the PT you are talking at least 1.5 lbs of added weight, which is a bunch in my book. Also, some people (and many triathletes) prefer or already own $2000 carbon race wheels, and if they want to use a power meter with them they need a crank based one.

Yeah - I run 110mm BCD cranks on my tri/tt bike and 130mm BCD cranks on my road bike, except for mountain centuries/TTs when I go to the 110mm BCD cranks. I am contemplating a Quarg, but I'm waiting for a few folks locally to gather some operating time. Primarily PowerTaps here with a sprinkling of SRMs

jollyrogers said:
Yeah - I run 110mm BCD cranks on my tri/tt bike and 130mm BCD cranks on my road bike, except for mountain centuries/TTs when I go to the 110mm BCD cranks.
That makes it a tougher choice.
jollyrogers said:
I am contemplating a Quarg, but I'm waiting for a few folks locally to gather some operating time. Primarily PowerTaps here with a sprinkling of SRMs
I've heard good things about the Quarq. I have a friend who used one for cross season and caked it with mud every week with no issues at all.

After using PT's for about 5-6 years (I have two) I bought a Quarq in December and it's been great so far, but it's only been a month so too early to tell. Best thing about it is your FTP goes up by about 10 watts overnight! (because it measures power before transmission losses from the chain)