Best Rear Track Hubs?

bryanw

Guest
I need to purchase a new rear track/fixed hub for my bike (will be used on urban streets -- not on a
velodrome). I am interested in people thoughts about various brands, is there a consensus "best of
class"? Are there brands considered by many, that I should stay away from?

Also, what does anybody know about the Chub Hub (www.chubhub.com), billed by the company as the
"Ultimate Fixey Hub". Does anybody have one? Are they really the ultimate? How do they stand up over
time regarding their wear and tear?

I was planning to purchase a 32 hole chubhub but found out that the company is out of stock on that
version and they only have 28 hole hubs in stock. I need a 32. Is it worth the wait? Or should I go
with another brand?

Finally, forgive my ignorance, but is it better to get a serviceable hub than to get one that isn't?

Thanks! Bryan Walton

bruyan-<< I need to purchase a new rear track/fixed hub for my bike (will be used on urban streets
-- not on a velodrome). I am interested in people thoughts about various brands, is there a
consensus "best of class"? >><BR><BR>

Hard to beat Phil Wood, I have a pair and they are magnificent....

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:54:20 +0000, bryan wrote:

> I need to purchase a new rear track/fixed hub for my bike (will be used on urban streets -- not on
> a velodrome). I am interested in people thoughts about various brands, is there a consensus "best
> of class"? Are there brands considered by many, that I should stay away from?

I have a Dura-Ace double-sided (fixed/fixed) that is a dream. Beautifully designed and engineered --
it will probably outlast me. If it's not "the best", it doesn't matter. It is plenty. Not cheap,
though, and there are good cheaper hubs.

> I was planning to purchase a 32 hole chubhub but found out that the company is out of stock on
> that version and they only have 28 hole hubs in stock.

Definitely don't bother with the 28, unless you are very, very light.

> Finally, forgive my ignorance, but is it better to get a serviceable hub than to get one
> that isn't?

So, should you get a hub you can service, or one you have to throw away when the bearings wear out?
Is that really what you are asking?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass. _`\(,_ | What are you on?"
--Lance Armstrong (_)/ (_) |

> I need to purchase a new rear track/fixed hub for my bike (will be used on urban streets -- not on
> a velodrome). I am interested in people thoughts about various brands, is there a consensus "best
> of class"? Are there brands considered by many, that I should stay away from?
>
> Also, what does anybody know about the Chub Hub (www.chubhub.com), billed by the company as the
> "Ultimate Fixey Hub". Does anybody have one? Are they really the ultimate? How do they stand up
> over time regarding their wear and tear?
>
> I was planning to purchase a 32 hole chubhub but found out that the company is out of stock on
> that version and they only have 28 hole hubs in stock. I need a 32. Is it worth the wait? Or
> should I go with another brand?
>
> Finally, forgive my ignorance, but is it better to get a serviceable hub than to get one
> that isn't?
>
> Thanks! Bryan Walton

Suzue Pro Max hubs seem very nice, but I haven't ridden one.

I've had a pair of Dura Ace track hubs. Nice. Now I'm riding a pair of Superbe Pro hubs on one
wheelset, and Campy Record on the other. My Zipp340 rear wheel has an Am. Classic hub that was
converted to track axles.

Mike

Quoth Bryan Walton:

> I need to purchase a new rear track/fixed hub for my bike (will be used on urban streets -- not on
> a velodrome). I am interested in people thoughts about various brands, is there a consensus "best
> of class"?

Phil Wood. Nothing else comes close.

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/fixed-hubs.html#phil

> Also, what does anybody know about the Chub Hub (www.chubhub.com), billed by the company as the
> "Ultimate Fixey Hub".

It's a silly gimmick, a solution to a non-existent problem.

> I was planning to purchase a 32 hole chubhub but found out that the company is out of stock on
> that version and they only have 28 hole hubs in stock. I need a 32. Is it worth the wait? Or
> should I go with another brand?

A fixed/fixed Phil is only $9 more, might as well get the best. The ability to use two fixed
sprockets for different gears is a very nice feature. (You can also replace either of the fixed
sprockets with a freewheel if you want.)

> Finally, forgive my ignorance, but is it better to get a serviceable hub than to get one
> that isn't?

Most of the best fixed-gear hubs use standard cartridge bearings.

Sheldon "Philophile" Brown +----------------------------------------------------------------+
| Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. | At best he is a tolerable
| subhuman who has learned to wear | shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house. | --Robert
| A. Heinlein |
+----------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

In article <[email protected]>, David L. Johnson wrote:

>> Finally, forgive my ignorance, but is it better to get a serviceable hub than to get one
>> that isn't?
>
> So, should you get a hub you can service, or one you have to throw away when the bearings wear
> out? Is that really what you are asking?

Sorry David, didn't mean to reply to you personally. So I will pose the same followup question
here. I am not sure what I really mean by servicable. In another reply to me, Peter recommended
Phil Wood hubs. But as I understand it, Phil Wood hubs are "production sealed bearing bicycle
hubs". Am I correct in thinking that this means I would not be able to replace the bearings in this
hub? Or am I mistaken.

Thanks again, Bryan Walton

Sheldon Brown <[email protected]> wrote:
>A fixed/fixed Phil is only $9 more, might as well get the best. The ability to use two fixed
>sprockets for different gears is a very nice feature.

While you're in this thread; is there any good way to fit two or more fixed sprockets to the same
side of a hub, short of opening up a freewheel and somehow jiggering the mechanism?

I was thinking if one could get appropriate sprocket sizes and spacing this could be combined with
two chainrings with a like size difference for a two-speed fixed that doesn't need flipped...

David Damerell queried:

> While you're in this thread; is there any good way to fit two or more fixed sprockets to the same
> side of a hub, short of opening up a freewheel and somehow jiggering the mechanism?

You can generally fit two sprockets onto a _freewheel_ type hub, using Loctite or the like to
secure them.

> I was thinking if one could get appropriate sprocket sizes and spacing this could be combined with
> two chainrings with a like size difference for a two-speed fixed that doesn't need flipped...

If you use only a single chainring, this will lead to poor chainline in at least one of the gears.

You could do it with a double chainring. I've done something similar with two-speed freewheels on a
couple of my own bikes...see:

http://sheldonbrown.org/hercules.html

Sheldon "BTDT" Brown +---------------------------------------------------------------+
| Anyone who can't use a slide rule is a cultural illiterate, | and should not be allowed to vote.
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

> I need to purchase a new rear track/fixed hub for my bike (will be used on urban streets -- not on
> a velodrome). I am interested in people thoughts about various brands, is there a consensus "best
> of class"?

Try Goldtec - good price and nothing is better.

"In virtute sunt multi ascensus" .- Cicero On 28 Oct 2003 08:54:20 -0600,
[email protected] wrote:

>I need to purchase a new rear track/fixed hub for my bike (will be used on urban streets -- not on
>a velodrome). I am interested in people thoughts about various brands, is there a consensus "best
>of class"?

Early responders have already named the Phil Wood model as a worthy candidate. If you're not
allergic to doing some occasional bearing service, I'd add Shimano's 7710 (small flange) hubs as an
alternative that merits serious consideration.

The Shimano model uses traditionally nutted axles (good on their own, but also allows conversion
to hollow axles with quick-release skewers for convenience on the road). The small hub flanges
are, of course,

hardware are as-good-as-it-gets-or-has-ever-been. The rear hubs are offered in options either for
a single sprocket and lockring or in a duplex configuration threaded on each side for sprocket
and lockring.

Oh, compared to the cost of the Phil's, you get to keep about a hundred dollars in your pocket.
-------------------------------
John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida Now in our twenty-first year. Our catalog of track
equipment: eighth year online. http://www.businesscycles.com

In article <[email protected]>, Sheldon Brown wrote:
> Quoth Bryan Walton:
>
>> I need to purchase a new rear track/fixed hub for my bike (will be used on urban streets -- not
>> on a velodrome). I am interested in people thoughts about various brands, is there a consensus
>> "best of class"?
>
> Phil Wood. Nothing else comes close.

Hi Sheldon, Thanks for the reply. Sounds good. I think I will go with a Phil Wood. Also, thanks for
the opinions regarding the chubhub. Now, next question: large vs. small flange? Does it really
matter anymore?

Thanks, Bryan

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:21:31 +0000, zxcvbn wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, David L. Johnson wrote:
>
>>> Finally, forgive my ignorance, but is it better to get a serviceable hub than to get one that
>>> isn't?
>>
>> So, should you get a hub you can service, or one you have to throw away when the bearings wear
>> out? Is that really what you are asking?
>>

> Sorry David, didn't mean to reply to you personally. So I will pose the same followup question
> here. I am not sure what I really mean by servicable. In another reply to me, Peter recommended
> Phil Wood hubs. But as I understand it, Phil Wood hubs are "production sealed bearing bicycle
> hubs". Am I correct in thinking that this means I would not be able to replace the bearings in
> this hub? Or am I mistaken.

The bearings in a Phil Wood hub are replacable. They are not even all that expensive.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster. --Greg LeMond _`\(,_ | (_)/ (_) |

Quoth Bryan Walton:

> Hi Sheldon, Thanks for the reply. Sounds good. I think I will go with a Phil Wood. Also, thanks
> for the opinions regarding the chubhub. Now, next question: large vs. small flange? Does it really
> matter anymore?

Large flange is prettier.

Sheldon "Falangi Grandi" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------+
| Le beau est aussi utile que l'utile --Victor Hugo | (The beautiful is as useful as the useful) |
+-------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

> David Damerell queried:
>
> > While you're in this thread; is there any good way to fit two or
more fixed
> > sprockets to the same side of a hub, short of opening up a freewheel
and
> > somehow jiggering the mechanism?
>
> You can generally fit two sprockets onto a _freewheel_ type hub, using Loctite or the like to
> secure them.
>
> > I was thinking if one could get appropriate sprocket sizes and
spacing
> > this could be combined with two chainrings with a like size
difference for
> > a two-speed fixed that doesn't need flipped...
>
> If you use only a single chainring, this will lead to poor chainline
in
> at least one of the gears.
>
> You could do it with a double chainring. I've done something similar with two-speed freewheels on
> a couple of my own bikes...see:
>
> http://sheldonbrown.org/hercules.html

How did you fit a standard five speed freewheel on a flip-flop hub? -- Jay Beattie.

I wrote:

>>You could do it with a double chainring. I've done something similar with two-speed freewheels on
>>a couple of my own bikes...see:
>>
>>http://sheldonbrown.org/hercules.html

Jay Beattie asked:

> How did you fit a standard five speed freewheel on a flip-flop hub? -- Jay Beattie.

A few extra axle spacers, a bit of dish. This setup has non-standard chainline...the fixed sprocket
on one side, and the smaller sprocket on the freewheel line up with the large chainring; the large
freewheel sprocket lines up with the small chainring.

Not sure the actual chainline...I did this setup back when I was eyeballing chainline, not measuring
it as I do now.

Back in the day, it used to be not terribly uncommon to see hubs set up for a 4- or 5-speed
freewheel on one side, fixed on t'other, allowing the same wheel to be used in both modes.

Sheldon "Whatever It Takes" Brown +-------------------------------------------------------------+
| Never underestimate the power of human stupidity. | --Robert A. Heinlein |
+-------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

"Abiit, excessit, evasit, erupit". - Cicero On 28 Oct 2003 14:04:33 -0600,
[email protected] wrote:

> I think I will go with a Phil Wood.
<snip>
> Now, next question: large vs. small flange? Does it really matter anymore?

You'll be hard-pressed to find a perceptible difference between the flange sizes. If you're
interested in the small flange Phil Wood track model, don't drag your feet: the small flange track
model is now officially out of production. Accordingly, you'll soon be limited to what SF hubs
remain in inventory in whichever configurations are still available.

I have one 36x36 hole pair and one 32x32 hole pair of the small flange hubs left in stock (the rears
on both sets are duplex-type fixed/fixed). Same price as the equivalent large flange Phil track
models listed in the track section of our website (URL below).
-------------------------------

[email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I need to purchase a new rear track/fixed hub for my bike (will be used on urban streets -- not on
> a velodrome). I am interested in people thoughts about various brands, is there a consensus "best
> of class"? Are there brands considered by many, that I should stay away from?

I went to our local sports consignment store and got an old Dura-Ace tubie wheel for $14, repacked
the bearings, rebuilt the wheel using a cheap clincher rim, respaced it to 126 and it works great.

> >> So, should you get a hub you can service, or one you have to throw away when the bearings wear
> >> out? Is that really what you are asking?
> >>

> > Sorry David, didn't mean to reply to you personally. So I will pose the same followup question
> > here. I am not sure what I really mean by servicable. In another reply to me, Peter recommended
> > Phil Wood hubs. But as I understand it, Phil Wood hubs are "production sealed bearing bicycle
> > hubs". Am I correct in thinking that this means I would not be able to replace the bearings in
> > this hub? Or am I mistaken.
>
> The bearings in a Phil Wood hub are replacable. They are not even all that expensive.
>

> --

$25 for a hub's worth of bearings insn't exactly inexpensive either.

http://www.lickbike.com/i1797100.htm

Robin Hubert

> Quoth Bryan Walton:
>
> > Hi Sheldon, Thanks for the reply. Sounds good. I think I will go with a Phil Wood. Also, thanks
> > for the opinions regarding the chubhub. Now, next question: large vs. small flange? Does it
> > really matter anymore?
>
> Large flange is prettier.

No-one should give a rat's ass about hub "beauty". FWIW, I think brunettes are more beautiful than
redheads, but I wouldn't recommend one for that reason.

Robin Hubert

[email protected] wrote:

> I need to purchase a new rear track/fixed hub for my bike (will be used on urban streets -- not on
> a velodrome). I am interested in people thoughts about various brands, is there a consensus "best
> of class"? Are there brands considered by many, that I should stay away from?
>
> Also, what does anybody know about the Chub Hub (www.chubhub.com), billed by the company as the
> "Ultimate Fixey Hub". Does anybody have one? Are they really the ultimate? How do they stand up
> over time regarding their wear and tear?
>
> I was planning to purchase a 32 hole chubhub but found out that the company is out of stock on
> that version and they only have 28 hole hubs in stock. I need a 32. Is it worth the wait? Or
> should I go with another brand?
>
> Finally, forgive my ignorance, but is it better to get a serviceable hub than to get one
> that isn't?

Many brands have their unique features, foibles, adherents and detractors but my vote's for a Phil.

"Serviceable" is vague. Phils and some other cartridge hubs are straightforward for a bearing change
but do not normally require periodic manitenance like a loose-ball hub.