Best Roadbike around $2500??

Jaguar27

Sep 19, 2003
Any suggestions my learned friends? so far I'm leaning towards a Kestrel Talon...I need to add some other Bikes to my test-ride list...

Any suggestions greatly appreciated... ;)

Hey I have a Talon also. It's a good bike for the price but make sure that it fits you.

I also would like to recommend that you check into the Giant composite but their fit is a little different from the Talon.

Also Scott CR1 is about to come out with some less expensive than their $5000 team edition. There are several models but they should have 1 at around $3K or less. Their durability because of their light weight has been often discussed.

Of course you can slo check out the Trek 5200 as well.

Jaguar27 said:
Any suggestions my learned friends? so far I'm leaning towards a Kestrel Talon...I need to add some other Bikes to my test-ride list...

I would check out the trek 5200, and the Specialized Roubaix Elite or Comp (I'm not sure which one falls in that price range, but it comes with Ultegra and Kryrium Elites).

Jaguar27 said:

On a test ride, the Talon felt a bit harsher than I wanted for an all-around road bike. Quick handling, racy and responsive, but I prefer something smoother for club rides and hilly Centuries. The new Evoke appeals to me more; believe it's more of the long-distance road bike. A buddy here has just gotten one of these and says it's super-smooth....suggest you test ride.

Also suggest you check out the Trek's, C'dales, and other major brands in this price range. Might as well have some fun shopping and test riding.

Jaguar27 said:

There is no BEST,but you have lots of choices.Go ride some rather that trolling for lame opinions.

dhk said:
On a test ride, the Talon felt a bit harsher than I wanted for an all-around road bike. Quick handling, racy and responsive, but I prefer something smoother for club rides and hilly Centuries. The new Evoke appeals to me more; believe it's more of the long-distance road bike. A buddy here has just gotten one of these and says it's super-smooth....suggest you test ride.

Also suggest you check out the Trek's, C'dales, and other major brands in this price range. Might as well have some fun shopping and test riding.

Dan, great suggestion!! I wrote to a writer named Charles at PEZ and he also mentioned the Evoke as being a smooth ride.
Unfortunately, the Evoke's geometry is not to my liking.

Trek 5200 - just bought a used 5200 at LBS for 1800. It's cherry, not even a scratch. New one is 2300.

Great bike.

Jaguar27 said:

Go for the Talon! I did. I agree with the recommendation regarding the GIANT Composite; I have a TCR Aluminum Compact Road that I LOVE and I wanted a composite bike as well. I test road the GIANT Composite, but took too long to make the right decision. By the time I was ready, I could no longer find the GIANT TCR Composite in my size. I bought the Kestrel Talon, put on a carbon seat-post, Italia Pro Link Gel seat, ITM Millennium Stem, Modolo Curvissima drop-bars, and an Ultegra package, and this bike does it for me. There are a lot of bikes to choose from at this price range; so get out there and do some test riding. For the money, though, I really like the Kestrel Talon. Have fun!

Rudy said:
Dan, great suggestion!! I wrote to a writer named Charles at PEZ and he also mentioned the Evoke as being a smooth ride.
Unfortunately, the Evoke's geometry is not to my liking.
Rudy: I like the "stealth fighter" look of the tubes and finish on the Evoke. Have to swap bikes with my buddy next weekend and try the ride for myself. Curious as to why you don't like the geometry...it appears to be a standard road geometry, with a fairly long top tube.

Provo: Hard to beat that great deal on the 5200; you got a lot of bike there.

Thanks Rudy!
I've heard nothing but good things about the Talon, plus it's in my price range...

As far as fit is concerned, I'm 5'11", I test rode a 57 and loved it, seemed to fit perfectly...however, my LBS measured me for and suggested a 55??

He said they had a long reach, I never got to ride a 55, though maybe I should...

My wife rides a Giant, I'll take your advice and test ride one...

Thanks again!!

Rudy said:
Hey I have a Talon also. It's a good bike for the price but make sure that it fits you.

I also would like to recommend that you check into the Giant composite but their fit is a little different from the Talon.

Also Scott CR1 is about to come out with some less expensive than their $5000 team edition. There are several models but they should have 1 at around $3K or less. Their durability because of their light weight has been often discussed.

Of course you can slo check out the Trek 5200 as well.

well, from the suggestions here, it seems the Talon is a strong contender...

You're right, there are a lot of Bikes in this price range, luckily for me because that's all I can afford...

The Talon with Ultegra and Velomax wheels come in at around $2450ish plus Tax...

Thanks for the input...

I'm ready to buy but I just thought I'd ask what you Guys think, or have any other suggestions before I buy a new Bike...

leslierc8853 said:
Go for the Talon! I did. I agree with the recommendation regarding the GIANT Composite; I have a TCR Aluminum Compact Road that I LOVE and I wanted a composite bike as well. I test road the GIANT Composite, but took too long to make the right decision. By the time I was ready, I could no longer find the GIANT TCR Composite in my size. I bought the Kestrel Talon, put on a carbon seat-post, Italia Pro Link Gel seat, ITM Millennium Stem, Modolo Curvissima drop-bars, and an Ultegra package, and this bike does it for me. There are a lot of bikes to choose from at this price range; so get out there and do some test riding. For the money, though, I really like the Kestrel Talon. Have fun!

Thanks for the advice, to me the Talon was smooth, although I didn't ride it very far, having said that, I have a Cannondale CAAD4 at the moment, so maybe compared to that it felt smooth...

I like the Evoke too, I've never ridden one, they're around $600 more than the Talon with the same equipment I believe...

Thanks again

dhk said:

Jaguar27 said:
Thanks Rudy!
I've heard nothing but good things about the Talon, plus it's in my price range...

As far as fit is concerned, I'm 5'11", I test rode a 57 and loved it, seemed to fit perfectly...however, my LBS measured me for and suggested a 55??

He said they had a long reach, I never got to ride a 55, though maybe I should...

My wife rides a Giant, I'll take your advice and test ride one...

Thanks again!!

I'm 5'11", and the "55" fits me perfectly. Test the 55 against the 57 before you buy to make certain for a good fit. BTW, the "Large" GIANT TCR was/is a better fit for me than the "Medium", but I made it a point to test ride both sizes extensively. Have fun!

Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to try the 55, and of course the 57 again..just to make sure...

Luckily we have two LBS close by, one sells Cannondale/Giant, the other Kestrel and some very high end Bikes...

So hopefully they'll have a variety of sizes in stock when I go for a ride next weekend...

The 57 Talon seemed to fit like a glove though..I loved that Bike!!

leslierc8853 said:
I'm 5'11", and the "55" fits me perfectly. Test the 55 against the 57 before you buy to make certain for a good fit. BTW, the "Large" GIANT TCR was/is a better fit for me than the "Medium", but I made it a point to test ride both sizes extensively. Have fun!

Jaguar27 said:
Thanks for the reply, I'll be sure to try the 55, and of course the 57 again..just to make sure...

Luckily we have two LBS close by, one sells Cannondale/Giant, the other Kestrel and some very high end Bikes...

So hopefully they'll have a variety of sizes in stock when I go for a ride next weekend...

The 57 Talon seemed to fit like a glove though..I loved that Bike!!

Please let us know of your decision.

Jaguar27 said:

Just for reference, I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and the 55 fits me perfect. I know because I just test rode a Talon last weekend. The more important measurement though (imo) is the top tube length. On the Talon, going from a 55 to a 57 only increases top tube length by 1.5cm. Check out this link for a fit calculator: ( I prefer the Eddie fit)

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

If you are truly a 'tweener' I would go for the smaller size and make up the difference in the stem length for better handling.

BTW, the best bike for under $2500 is mine. Here is the link:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/xl_carbon_chorus.html

I bought the frame set for $1099 and then added a full Campy Centaur groupo. Using my old handlebars, stem, and saddle, I was able to get the bike custom built for around $2500.

Although you might not find this deal, the point is keep an eye out for end of season specials on frames too. Nothing bets a custom job and for your budget, it’s possible.

boudreaux said:
There is no BEST,but you have lots of choices.Go ride some rather that trolling for lame opinions.

Out of all the suggestions, the one above is the best advice....

Thanks OCR, a few others have recommended the 5200, and I've read some great reviews...

I'm surprized nobody has recommended a Cannondale?? I always thought they were a pretty popular brand what with the Optima Frames etc...

I've never ridden a Specialized, I think I'll add those to my list...which is getting longer by the Day, looks like I'm gonna have a busy weekend...

OCRoadie said:
I would check out the trek 5200, and the Specialized Roubaix Elite or Comp (I'm not sure which one falls in that price range, but it comes with Ultegra and Kryrium Elites).