Best states (west of great lakes) for cycling

Just A User

Guest
I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
regular road riding?

Ken

Just A User <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
> important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
> west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
> cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
> that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
> regular road riding?

I've only ridden in a handful of states, but I'll venture a comment
that it isn't just the roads and drivers that make a place pleasant to
ride in, but also the climate. Interpret that as you wish; to me it means
I'll never move where the winters are too long, or where it's humid.

Bill

| As long as people believe in absurdities |
| they will continue to commit atrocities. |
| --Voltaire |

> Just A User <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
>> important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
>> west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
>> cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
>> that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
>> regular road riding?

> I've only ridden in a handful of states, but I'll venture a comment
> that it isn't just the roads and drivers that make a place pleasant to
> ride in, but also the climate. Interpret that as you wish; to me it means
> I'll never move where the winters are too long, or where it's humid.
>

> Bill

Well I don't know about riding in the winter, but I know about humidity
from living here in Florida. And less humidity is a very important
consideration for me.

Ken

> | As long as people believe in absurdities |
> | they will continue to commit atrocities. |
> | --Voltaire |

>I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
> important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
> west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for cycling,
> I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found that some of
> the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about regular road
> riding?
>
> Ken

Having ridden in North Texas for awhile, I think it has possibilities for
you. There are lots of rides--and sponsored paid rides, too--in the area.
There are large bicycling clubs in Fort Worth and Dallas. The winter weather
is not so bad, although I didn't ride in much of January and February
because I decided not to ride when the temps are below 40 degrees F. I
think we got snow once this year. We get wind in the Spring and Fall, but
maybe that is offset by the lack of a lot of big hills. We do have hills,
but not like in Connecticut, for example. It seems as if we hardly have any
rain, too. There are lots of little farm to market type roads.

Of course, what kind of work you do could be an important factor in your
selection.

Pat in TX

Pat wrote:
>> I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
>> important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
>> west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for cycling,
>> I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found that some of
>> the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about regular road
>> riding?
>>
>> Ken

> Having ridden in North Texas for awhile, I think it has possibilities for
> you. There are lots of rides--and sponsored paid rides, too--in the area.
> There are large bicycling clubs in Fort Worth and Dallas. The winter weather
> is not so bad, although I didn't ride in much of January and February
> because I decided not to ride when the temps are below 40 degrees F. I
> think we got snow once this year. We get wind in the Spring and Fall, but
> maybe that is offset by the lack of a lot of big hills. We do have hills,
> but not like in Connecticut, for example. It seems as if we hardly have any
> rain, too. There are lots of little farm to market type roads.
>
> Of course, what kind of work you do could be an important factor in your
> selection.
>
> Pat in TX

Well I don't have any Texas cities on my list(yet).

Ken

On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:55:06 -0500, Just A User wrote:

> I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
> important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
> west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
> cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
> that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
> regular road riding?

This depends too much on what kinds of terrain, climate, and culture you
like, and whether you prefer major metro areas or small towns.

Which places are you considering already?

It's hard to say which state is most bike-friendly in terms of state law
and policy. A strong bike culture can override that somewhat. But when
we (local bike advocates and officials) are looking for examples of best
practices, "how they do it in Oregon" seems to come up a lot.

Matt O.

Just A User wrote:
> I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
> important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
> west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
> cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
> that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
> regular road riding?

Most if not all states west of the Great Lakes are pretty big, so a
generalization about a whole state would be hard to make. Certainly
there are great areas for riding in California, but that does not mean
you will find that to be the case if you move to downtown LA.

I have lived in the San Francisco Bay area, and I grew up in central
California. I also did a stint in College Station, Texas, and Houston.
Of those, clearly, the Bay area is the best riding. Houston is the
worst. But I would suggest that Fresno is worse for riding than College
Station (and both are pretty bad, especially in August).

--

David L. Johnson

"Business!" cried the Ghost. "Mankind was my business. The common
welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and
benevolence, were, all, my business. The dealings of my trade were but
a drop of water in the comprehensive ocean of my business!" --Dickens,

<[email protected]> wrote:

>I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
>important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
>west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
>cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
>that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
>regular road riding?
>
>Ken

Arizona, California, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Montana,
Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin
all have mandatory helmet laws in part or the whole of the state (so
does Alaska, but although that is "west of the Great Lakes" I presume
it was not under consideration).

The above list may not include all states; MHL's are becoming more and
more popular with American governments, and there may have been more
passed since last time I checked.

Just A User wrote:
:: I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
:: important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in
:: areas west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas
:: for cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and
:: found that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so
:: how about regular road riding?
::
:: Ken

Why so far away? SC & NC are great places for cycling. As is GA.

Roger Zoul wrote:
> Just A User wrote:
> :: I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
> :: important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in
> :: areas west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas
> :: for cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and
> :: found that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so
> :: how about regular road riding?
> ::
> :: Ken
>
> Why so far away? SC & NC are great places for cycling. As is GA.

Well I am moving to get away from the over crowded feeling of the east
coast and to get away from the excessive humidity that is here in
Florida and a certain mold spore that is more prevelent in the southeast.

Ken

[email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:55:06 -0500, Just A User
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
>> important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
>> west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
>> cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
>> that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
>> regular road riding?
>>
>> Ken

> Arizona, California, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Montana,
> Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin
> all have mandatory helmet laws in part or the whole of the state (so
> does Alaska, but although that is "west of the Great Lakes" I presume
> it was not under consideration).
>
> The above list may not include all states; MHL's are becoming more and
> more popular with American governments, and there may have been more
> passed since last time I checked.

Thats an interesting point one that I had not even thought of, here in
Florida, there is no such law, that I know of anyway.

Ken

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 07:14:26 -0500, Just A User
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:55:06 -0500, Just A User
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
>>> important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
>>> west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
>>> cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
>>> that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
>>> regular road riding?
>>>
>>> Ken

>> Arizona, California, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Montana,
>> Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin
>> all have mandatory helmet laws in part or the whole of the state (so
>> does Alaska, but although that is "west of the Great Lakes" I presume
>> it was not under consideration).
>>
>> The above list may not include all states; MHL's are becoming more and
>> more popular with American governments, and there may have been more
>> passed since last time I checked.

>Thats an interesting point one that I had not even thought of, here in
>Florida, there is no such law, that I know of anyway.

Something in excess of three million residents of Florida must by law
wear a helmet if they choose to cycle.

Florida passed an under-16 state-wide MHL in 1997; currently it allows
counties to opt out, and some (3) did so, but reports are that they
have all now rescinded.

On Mar 9, 7:06 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:55:06 -0500, Just A User
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
> >important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
> >west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
> >cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
> >that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
> >regular road riding?

> >Ken

> Arizona, California, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Montana,
> Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin
> all have mandatory helmet laws in part or the whole of the state (so
> does Alaska, but although that is "west of the Great Lakes" I presume
> it was not under consideration).
>
> The above list may not include all states; MHL's are becoming more and
> more popular with American governments, and there may have been more
> passed since last time I checked.

Might want to expand on this list. Most have ages attached, none that
I know of are for adults, most for kids or kid passenegrs.

[email protected] wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 07:14:26 -0500, Just A User
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> Arizona, California, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Montana,
>>> Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin
>>> all have mandatory helmet laws in part or the whole of the state (so
>>> does Alaska, but although that is "west of the Great Lakes" I presume
>>> it was not under consideration).
>>>
>>> The above list may not include all states; MHL's are becoming more and
>>> more popular with American governments, and there may have been more
>>> passed since last time I checked.

>> Thats an interesting point one that I had not even thought of, here in
>> Florida, there is no such law, that I know of anyway.
>>

> Something in excess of three million residents of Florida must by law
> wear a helmet if they choose to cycle.
>
> Florida passed an under-16 state-wide MHL in 1997; currently it allows
> counties to opt out, and some (3) did so, but reports are that they
> have all now rescinded.

Yeah but that law is for those under 16 years of age, I am in my 30's.

Ken

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> On Mar 9, 7:06 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:55:06 -0500, Just A User
>>
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
>>> important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
>>> west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
>>> cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
>>> that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
>>> regular road riding?
>>> Ken

>> Arizona, California, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Montana,
>> Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin
>> all have mandatory helmet laws in part or the whole of the state (so
>> does Alaska, but although that is "west of the Great Lakes" I presume
>> it was not under consideration).
>>
>> The above list may not include all states; MHL's are becoming more and
>> more popular with American governments, and there may have been more
>> passed since last time I checked.

> Might want to expand on this list. Most have ages attached, none that
> I know of are for adults, most for kids or kid passenegrs.

Yeah I did a really quick search and found a site that seems to indicate
that most of the cycling helmet laws apply to those under 18, 16 or even
lower in some places. I don't have much too worry about I am 34, but
will probably avoid moving into an area that requires me to wear a head
protection device.

Ken

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 09 Mar 2007 16:55:06 -0500, Just A User
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>I am giving very serious consideration to re-locating and this is
>>important to me. So the questions is for those that have lived in areas
>>west of the Great Lakes, which states provide the best areas for
>>cycling, I have already checked on the rails to trails site and found
>>that some of the areas I am considering have local trails, so how about
>>regular road riding?
>>
>>Ken

> Arizona, California, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Montana,
> Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin
> all have mandatory helmet laws in part or the whole of the state (so
> does Alaska, but although that is "west of the Great Lakes" I presume
> it was not under consideration).

Which part of California has MHL for adults? I know it's not the SF bay
area.

> Arizona, California, Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Montana,
> Nevada, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin
> all have mandatory helmet laws in part or the whole of the state (so
> does Alaska, but although that is "west of the Great Lakes" I presume
> it was not under consideration).
>
> The above list may not include all states; MHL's are becoming more and
> more popular with American governments, and there may have been more
> passed since last time I checked.

I wasn't aware Texas had a mandatory helmet law FOR ADULTS. That's the
important part. Besides, cops in Texas don't enforce ANY bicycle laws so why
should they all of a sudden start enforcing a helmet law?

Pat in TX

Just A User wrote:

> Yeah but that law is for those under 16 years of age, I am in my 30's.

And it's not like these laws are enforced anyway.

The only significant MHLs for adults that I know of are
King County, Washington (Seattle metro) and Dallas.
Fair reason for a cyclist to avoid moving to those areas, imo,
even though Seattle is otherwise a sort of Disneyland
for cyclists, with some of the more considerate drivers
to be found in the US.

Robert

[email protected] wrote:
> Just A User wrote:
>
>> Yeah but that law is for those under 16 years of age, I am in my 30's.

> And it's not like these laws are enforced anyway.
>
> The only significant MHLs for adults that I know of are
> King County, Washington (Seattle metro) and Dallas.
> Fair reason for a cyclist to avoid moving to those areas, imo,
> even though Seattle is otherwise a sort of Disneyland
> for cyclists, with some of the more considerate drivers
> to be found in the US.
>
> Robert

Yeah thats what my quick research seemed to indicate. Bellevue WA is on
my list of cities I am considering.

Ken

Just A User wrote:

> Well I am moving to get away from the over crowded feeling of the east
> coast and to get away from the excessive humidity that is here in
> Florida and a certain mold spore that is more prevelent in the southeast.

The Colorado Front Goathead Preserve
is plenty crowded, imo, but I'm just going
to throw this out there -- Fort Collins. Small-mid
university city, about an hour north of
Denver. If you want to go car free or at
least use your bike as your primary
transportation, the Fort would be very
hard to beat. It is incredibly easy to ride
a bike around that town. They have created
and continue to create a remarkable
infrastructure for transportational cycling.
The road riding in surrounding areas varies
from fantastic to ho-hum -- if recreational
cycling is your main thing you might consider
Boulder, which is the home base for many of
the great road rides in Colorado. Boulder is
expensive, and hard to take in many ways,
however. Fort Collins is more low-key.

Oh yeah -- Bring some REMA patchkits, and
follow the directions in the box.

Robert