Best type of bike lock...

mrbojangles

Jul 16, 2011
Hello all,

I'm new to London cycling and trying to figure everything out. I locked my bike to a rail last night, with one of the locks that looks like a U and clicks into a bar, apologies, I don't know the name of the lock, and also a basic bike cable. I assumed everything would be alright, but I returned after work to find that although my bike was still fastened by the cable, the U-lock had been broken off, and one of my lights was stolen.

The U lock was nowhere to be seen, so I need to find a better way to secure my bike. I was wondering what the best method is? Is it the heavy duty chains? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

First off if security is an issue the forget the cable type of locks unless your combining it with a far better lock. Kryptonite U-Locks are the best especially the Evolution 4. The longer U bolt's are better because it allow you to remove the front wheel and place it along side the rear and then lock the front and rear wheel with the frame rear stays to a bike rack. Using a cable lock in addition to the U-bolt will serve to slow down and frustrate a would be thief and you can again lock all the wheels and frame to the rack with it, just get the thickest cable you can find. Some people use the U-bolt lock to lock the cable, others use a separate lock, I like the idea of a separate lock so the thief would have to defeat both.

Chains like the Krpyto New York Fahgettaboudit are the toughest locks to defeat, but their also very heavy and a pain to carry around.

Keep in mind, NO LOCK IS THEFT PROOF! If you have a high value bike and live in a risky area or take the bike to a risky area your better off spending the money that you would spend for fancy locks and just buy a clunker and a cheap lock and park it in the risky area and save your good bike for when your riding but not going to be parking it.

And living in Europe as you do, the new fad there is picking locks which includes even a contest called DEFCON and Dimple, and no bike lock will ward off that. They can overcome most locks in a matter of a minute or less and it appears to onlookers that their just having a slight difficulty with their lock and their key.

Also don't pay much attention to lock warranties, their pretty much useless. In order to have a claim paid you need to have a police report (some agencies won't do that for a stolen bike; they don't have the time), they also need photos of the undisturbed crime scene including the lock, what it was locked to and the area including lighting; they need the lock returned, they need the original lock packaging including bar code, they need the original lock receipt, they need the original bike receipt along with a recent appraised value from a LBS. A lot of ****. Your better off getting renters or homeowners insurance to cover the bike.

Make sure to use the best type of lock system for you cycle. Well, there are many brands available but you must choose the best one and you must increase your budget because it's the safety that matters. There are many cheap locks available out there in the market but choose the most reputed brand.

I completely agree with you. They are really useless.
Well, I don't agree with you. If you choose a reputed brand, you will get a legitimate warranty. That's why you should always choose the best brand in the market. They are not at all useless because the warranty applies to the product.

Well, the top performer for:
  • U-Locks is the Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit Mini
  • Chains is the OnGuard 8020 Mastiff
And this is according to this source click here
which goes more in-depth into the topic, so you might want to check that out!

Well, I don't agree with you. If you choose a reputed brand, you will get a legitimate warranty. That's why you should always choose the best brand in the market. They are not at all useless because the warranty applies to the product.

Actually you're incorrect in thinking this. It was a cycling magazine reporter that went to Kryptonite headquarters after interviewing peoples who bikes were stolen using their lock and not getting any money for their bikes, some got new locks though! And the reporter asked how many claims do they pay out for bicycle replacement per year, Krypto said they don't share that information because it was a inside secret to which the reporter took to mean that they pay out so little they didn't want the public to know, this information on claims being paid is so secret it's not found on line anywhere.

Here is a copy of OnGuards insurance: https://consumerist.com/2009/07/08/free-bike-protection-is-neither-free-nor-protects-all-bikes/

Kryptonite issues, this is common frustration but this case he got some money which isn't common: http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/claiming-monies-from-kryptonites-anti-theft-protection-offer.40847/ Apparently they will back down and pay if they think a person may get legal help as this writer hinted at doing so by covering his **** all the way.

http://thebestbikelock.com/best-bike-lock/abus-vs-kryptonite-vs-onguard/ scan down to "anti theft protection" section, though someone might be interested in the feedback on 3 of the top brands of locks may want to read the whole thing.

All of this insurance stuff is not to say that Kryptonite makes a bad lock, au contraire, but their insurance is what is bad.

A sturdy lock is no good to an experienced bike thief. Sorry to say, but these guys are crafty, and they can remove locks in seconds if they have the privacy to do so. The best you can do is to prevent it from happening, such as keeping it basically inside your property, and never ever leaving it in public (even with a lock). There are lots of people out there who can easily take advantage of a situation, and you better be prepared if you don't want to lose your bike.

A sturdy lock is no good to an experienced bike thief. Sorry to say, but these guys are crafty, and they can remove locks in seconds if they have the privacy to do so. The best you can do is to prevent it from happening, such as keeping it basically inside your property, and never ever leaving it in public (even with a lock). There are lots of people out there who can easily take advantage of a situation, and you better be prepared if you don't want to lose your bike.

This is correct, it's so correct that lock companies that offer the insurance protection exclude certain kinds of attacks on their locks!

i've always said that if you're worried about losing a bike then your best defense against that is to buy a used bike worth $250 to $350 or so dollars and lock it with a good $45 or so lock and save your good bike for training and recreational riding when you know you're not going to be locking it up. There are some good under $50 locks on the market, probably, note I said probably, the best lock under $50 is the Master Lock 8291DPS Tuff Links with a tough 3 foot long chain, it is heavy but weight is good when it comes to hardened steel, but the best part is...it's only $25! See: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8291DPS-Links-3-Foot/dp/B000XTPO2M Lock up your Craigslist special cheaply and not worry about it getting stolen.

Make sure of course that you lock the bike up to a sturdy object, one that cannot be cut easier then your lock, or be pulled out of the ground, or be able to lift the bike over the top of the sturdy object. When you park it park it rear wheel first if going into a bike stand, remove the front wheel and move it along side the rear, take the chain and go through both wheels and the frame and around the sturdy object. This may scratch up the bottom of your fork dropouts but don't worry because you didn't pay a lot for the bike. They use to make fork dropout plastic boots, or covers, that would protect the dropouts just for that reason of locking up the bike that way, but for some unknown reason they longer make those things. You could probably come up with some sort thing that would work just fine.

Make sure to use the best type of lock system for you cycle. Well, there are many brands available but you must choose the best one and you must increase your budget because it's the safety that matters. There are many cheap locks available out there in the market but choose the most reputed brand.
You are right. He must use the best brand in market. Can you recommend some good brands?