Which type of clipless pedals/cleats best?

samcrx3

Apr 25, 2005
I have recently bought a second hand (used twice) pair of Gaerne MTB/touring shoes. I was offered them for $25 if they fitted me, and lucky me they did! My question is, what type of clipless pedal/cleat would be recommended. I'm into recreational cycling and am planning to put them on my Giant CRX 3. I don't need a super light pair of pedals, just something that would be funtional and good quality and not too expensive. Also do cleats fit all cycling shoes?
thanks Sam

usually, the more you spend the more you get: lighter, titanium bits, etc

The new Shimano Ultegra pedals are pretty good value

Most new shoes are fitted to accomodate the cleat screw patterns of the major pedal manufacturers.

Most new shoes will fit the Shimano cleat screw pattern

samcrx3 said:
I have recently bought a second hand (used twice) pair of Gaerne MTB/touring shoes. I was offered them for $25 if they fitted me, and lucky me they did! My question is, what type of clipless pedal/cleat would be recommended. I'm into recreational cycling and am planning to put them on my Giant CRX 3. I don't need a super light pair of pedals, just something that would be funtional and good quality and not too expensive. Also do cleats fit all cycling shoes?
thanks Sam

I agree with the above suggestion to use SPD shoes for general riding and touring use. I use Speedplay on my road bikes, but SPD compatible Wellgo pedals on my commuter bike-much more walkable than road cleats and the weight penalty isn't a big deal for most riding.

I got a pair of Shimano PD-A520 pedals, they will work well with your shoes and look good with your bike. They use the smaller SPD cleat, the cleats come with the pedals.

gclark8 said:
I got a pair of Shimano PD-A520 pedals, they will work well with your shoes and look good with your bike. They use the smaller SPD cleat, the cleats come with the pedals.
New Time pedals are super.

996vtwin said:
New Time pedals are super.
I will second this Time comment. I currently have: Shimano, Look, Speedplay and Time pedals and i seem to like the Time pedals the best. They all have their bene's and pitfalls, but i find that for MY riding style the Times work well.

I love my old (goin' on ten years) Ritchey ATB pedals. I don't know if they still make them, but wellgo has some that appear to be identical.

Ive ridden many miles on SPD, Speedplay, Time and Look KEO's. I now prefer the KEO's although you really shouldnt walk much in them. The cleat broke after just two rides and Im careful about not walking in them, just to and from car basically.