Best Waterproof Stuff Sacks For Grocery Shopping

letitherobe

Jun 22, 2015
I'm looking for a waterproof stuff sack that would work well for grocery shopping. I normally fill up a hand basket when I shop. Ideally I'd like a stuff sack that the cashier can easily put my groceries into as he/she scans the items. I plan to place the filled stuff sack into either a milk crate on my rear rack or inside a front basket on my bike.

I'd get some nice Ortlieb panniers, but they're outside of my budget and I'd like something that I can fold up and stick in a backpack or possibly leave inside a cheap-o pannier that is permanently fastened to the bike. Also, I prefer shopping with a hand basket over a shopping cart, so I think a stuff sack would be more portable than an Ortlieb pannier while I'm shopping. Thanks for any input.

Hire them sewn Commercial sewing machine owners are around PDX, Upholstery Sail repair

PVC Impregnated Truck tarp Material Would be the sturdy stuff ..

Even Heavy Cotton Canvas has a dense weave and can be Waxed to repel water.

Or there is a
Shop out here in Astoria on Pier 39 sewing things

What Dimensions do you Need? their shop rate is $60 an Hour for custom work. + Materials.

Why not see if dry sacks from REI can be adapted? They usually have closures can can keep everything in the sack, and should work well for you.

Bob

I know the Ortlieb bags have already been ruled out but I never used them until earlier this year and will never go back to 'regular' bike bags.

I also do my grocery shopping by bike and am amazed at just how much my two bags will hold. (I would think three Ortlieb bags could hold the contents of one full shopping cart.)

I load up the bike bags outside the store and then just pop them off the bike when I get home. If money is the only issue regarding those Ortlieb bags, rethink that. My bags will outlive me and I'm planning on at least another 30 years. I'm not easily impressed but I'm sold on those bags.

You can make bags out of common polyethylene tarp material and tape. Cut panels to size to fit your racks and join seams with Gorilla tape or similar. Make it tall so you can roll the top to exclude water. Patch with tape as needed and make new ones when they get to ratty.

I use one or the other of the following: either a siliconized nylon stuff sack for my sleeping bag or a trash compactor plastic bag from the supermarket. Compactor bags are quite tough plastic. Campmor 12 in. x 22 in. Stuff Bag, 48213 | Stuff Sacks | Sleeping Gear | GEAR | items from Campmor.

Google "grocery basket panniers." You can get wire rack baskets pretty cheaply; take your reuseable bag into the store, fill it up, bring it out and drop in the basket.

This is another great idea. After all to ride your bike to the grocery store could have many benefits. I am not just speaking of the benefits of being physically fit. There are many economical benefits to riding your bike everywhere, just as there are physical.

+ 1 on Dry sacks... You can put them in a normal bag too. Ortlieb makes some of those too.