best way to lube SPD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Penny S.

wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????

thanks

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
>
> thanks
>
> 1¢
>
>

I like Liquid Wrench Super Lube with Teflon. I give the pedals and derailleurs a shot after washing
the bike. Warning label says it contains perchloroethylene, a chemical known to the State of
California to cause cancer. You don't live in CA so you should be ok. ;^) Silicon spray would work
just fine too. (I've heard Pam cooking spray works) It should be light and 'dry' so as to not hold
on to dirt.

Mike

just get that aresol liquid white grease in a can

spray it on, then it hardens like grease, cus it is.. its great on everything ever.

>
> thanks
>
> 1¢

On Sun, 11 May 2003 23:49:24 +0000, MX-Pilot wrote:

> just get that aresol liquid white grease in a can
>
> spray it on, then it hardens like grease, cus it is.. its great on everything ever.

....and you too can have pedals that attract dirt and sand like a magnet. Woo.

Go with what Mike said, something light is just the ticket.

Andy Chequer

Penny S. wrote:
>
> thanks
>
> 1¢

let me re-frame the question.. out of the three above, which would you use? penny

> Penny S. wrote:
> > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > 1¢
>
> let me re-frame the question.. out of the three above, which would you
use?
> penny
>
>

Silicone spray.

> Penny S. wrote:
> > wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > 1¢
>
> let me re-frame the question.. out of the three above, which would you use? penny

Nail polish works fine and comes in all kinds of colors ;^ )

Seriously, silicon spray (lightly) is good, but I've used chain lube in pinch too.
--
Slacker

On Sun, 11 May 2003 18:47:13 -0700, Penny S. wrote:
> Penny S. wrote:
>> wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link)

> let me re-frame the question.. out of the three above, which would you use? penny

I've used all three, and have to agree the silicon spray works the best. Its most effective if you
bring it along and give 'em a shot right before the ride. As Mike Meyers would say, "like buttah".

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> thanks
>
> 1¢

Get some TIME pedals. 5k miles, never needed no stankin lube. When I had SPDs, I lubed according to
wet/dry/dusty conditions. So I'd say it all depends on your conditions... Beware of sand with lubed
SPDs, mine practically locked me in.

Nate

On 11 May 2003 20:29:48 -0700, Nate wrote:

> Get some TIME pedals. 5k miles, never needed no stankin lube.

Oh, good idea - go spend a hundred bucks so you don't have to spend thirty seconds spraying lube on
your pedal.

--
-BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Chain oil. I usually just dab some on the pedal when I lube the chain. Honestly, I never tried
silicone spray and am not sure if I could even find it in Germany.

-Dave (who can't find loc-tite either)

Penny S. wrote:
>
> thanks
>
> 1¢
>

Chain lube lasts longer then silicone (I tried both). WD-40 isn't enough of a lube. Make sure that
you get it only on the pivots. I used to just spray liberally and had it penetrate the threads of
the screws that hold the plates on and over time disolve the loc-tite. Once that happened, I
couldn't keep the screws tight and had to replace the pedals -- I tried removing them, cleaning the
hole and re-lock-tite'ing them but that only held for slightly longer then just tightening.

But, the need to lube 'em before EVERY ride made me try egg beaters when my last pair of SPDs wore
out. I like 'em a LOT more (easier to lock into and don't unclip when I don't want 'em to), but I'll
probably get the Look version next time (better bearings).

David

MX-Pilot wrote:
>
> just get that aresol liquid white grease in a can
>
> spray it on, then it hardens like grease, cus it is.. its great on everything ever.

This stuff is terrible on anything exposed. The grease attracts and holds all kinds of
grit and dirt.

Barry

BB wrote:
>
> On 11 May 2003 20:29:48 -0700, Nate wrote:
>
> > Get some TIME pedals. 5k miles, never needed no stankin lube.
>
> Oh, good idea - go spend a hundred bucks so you don't have to spend thirty seconds spraying lube
> on your pedal.
>
> --
> -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

The hundred bucks will also make entry and exit much easier in mud and snow and require zero
adjustment.

Barry

B a r r y B u r k e J r . <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The hundred bucks will also make entry and exit much easier in mud and snow and require zero
> adjustment.

I already have one that does that, and it cost me nothing.

Shaun aRe

Which kind of SPDs do you have? It does actually matter, since
(IMO) the older ones need lube on the actual pedal and 959s need almost none.

Now, to answer the actual question:

Don't lube them much at all. Touch the pivots with a tiny bit of persistent lube (WD40? That isn't
lube. That's Water Dispersent) and wipe away the excess. If you gob a bunch of lube on the pedal,
the mechanism just gets gunked up with the dirt that is attracted to the lube.

They key thing that needs lube is the cleat/pedal interface. Best way to lube this is to dab some
lube on the cleat itself.

When I was still running 747s, I used to bring a tiny bit of lube on rides where I expected
wet/muddy conditions. When release started to get sticky, I would lube the cleat (only the cleat)
and be back in business. During rides where it got bad enough, and I didn't have any lube with me, I
was able to get by wiping face-grease from my nose onto my finger then smearing that on the cleats
(really!).

With the 959s this has never been enough of a problem to bother bringing lube with me. They get a
little sticky, but not the welded- together feeling I got from 747s after getting the cleats wet
many times.
--
Tom "all SPuDs are OK, but 959s are great!" Purvis Salida, CO -
http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

>
> thanks
>
> 1¢

Are you trying to oil the internals, or get rid of a squeak from the interface of cleat and clip? If
it's the latter, use a bar of soap and scrape it dry against your cleat and clip. It gives it a waxy
surface cuts down friction but doesn't attract as much dust as liquid.

David Kunz wrote:
> Penny S. wrote:
>> wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> 1¢
>>
>
> Chain lube lasts longer then silicone (I tried both). WD-40 isn't enough of a lube. Make sure that
> you get it only on the pivots. I used to just spray liberally and had it penetrate the threads of
> the screws that hold the plates on and over time disolve the loc-tite. Once that happened, I
> couldn't keep the screws tight and had to replace the pedals -- I tried removing them, cleaning
> the hole and re-lock-tite'ing them but that only held for slightly longer then just tightening.
>
> But, the need to lube 'em before EVERY ride made me try egg beaters when my last pair of SPDs wore
> out. I like 'em a LOT more (easier to lock into and don't unclip when I don't want 'em to), but
> I'll probably get the Look version next time (better bearings).
>
> David

Not every ride. This is the first year I've gone out in the wet... so there's been a bit of hosing
the bikes off, casing the chain and pedals to dry out. On this last ride, both DH and I were having
serious damn clips too tight tip over problems.

Penny

In <[email protected]> Penny S. wrote:
>
> thanks
>
> 1¢
None of the above. Waxed based lube. Since this winter (in snow, sand, and mud) I've been using
White Lightning. I know Pedro's made something like it too. Don't know if they're still around. On
the advice of my LBS I really cleaned the pedals thoroughly to remove all the dirt and old lube.
Once dry I doused the pedals with the stuff. Works better than anything else I'd ever tried in a
dozen or so years of SPD use. I don't have 959s either (515s I think-cheap OEMs).

Cheers, Shawn

> David Kunz wrote:
> > Penny S. wrote:
> >> wd-40 silicon spray chain lube (pro-link) ????
> >>
> >> thanks
> >>
> >> 1¢
> >>
> >
> > Chain lube lasts longer then silicone (I tried both). WD-40 isn't enough of a lube. Make sure
> > that you get it only on the pivots. I used to just spray liberally and had it penetrate the
> > threads of the screws that hold the plates on and over time disolve the loc-tite. Once that
> > happened, I couldn't keep the screws tight and had to replace the pedals -- I tried removing
> > them, cleaning the hole and re-lock-tite'ing them but that only held for slightly longer then
> > just tightening.
> >
> > But, the need to lube 'em before EVERY ride made me try egg beaters when my last pair of SPDs
> > wore out. I like 'em a LOT more (easier to lock into and don't unclip when I don't want 'em to),
> > but I'll probably get the Look version next time (better bearings).
> >
> > David
>
> Not every ride. This is the first year I've gone out in the wet... so there's been a bit of hosing
> the bikes off, casing the chain and pedals to dry out. On this last ride, both DH and I were
> having serious damn clips
too
> tight tip over problems.
>
> Penny
>
>

That could also be sign of overly worn cleats.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.