Best way to 'post' a bike??

Simon Hawthorne

Guest
Hi all

I need to post a mountain bike I've sold on ebay. I have a 'bike box'
- in fact I think it is the one it was delivered in. Anyone got any
thoughts on the best way to get it delivered (it is 300 miles from me
so I can't do it in person).

The bike is worth about £350

Thanks

Simon

On 17/10/04 1:12 pm, in article [email protected],
"Simon Hawthorne" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I need to post a mountain bike I've sold on ebay. I have a 'bike box'
> - in fact I think it is the one it was delivered in. Anyone got any
> thoughts on the best way to get it delivered (it is 300 miles from me
> so I can't do it in person).

Get a courier to deliver it: Initial citylink will charge 25-30 quid for
such an item.

...d

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:12:49 +0100, Simon Hawthorne wrote:

> I need to post a mountain bike I've sold on ebay. I have a 'bike box'
> - in fact I think it is the one it was delivered in. Anyone got any
> thoughts on the best way to get it delivered (it is 300 miles from me
> so I can't do it in person).
> The bike is worth about £350

Royal Mail Standard Parcels Service.
Make sure it is less tan 1.5 metres long(some bikes boxes are a little
longer than this), if necessary, cut the box down.You'll need to
remove both wheels, pedals,undo the rear mech, wrap it up and tape it to
the frame,and loosen the bars to make it fit below 1.5m.Give it plenty of
packing material/bubblewrap.
Wrap it with lots of tape, or preferably good quality plastic bag wrapping
type material, then take it down to your local Post Office, give them
£13ish post + 75pish for insurance, and it'll be there in a few days.
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

I tend to use Pharos International. I posted a sharp 28" widescreen
back along which weighed over the amount parcelforce will normally
deal with at least for standard parcels and the price including about
£200 insurance was £13 and that includes collection and delivery.

www.pharos-international.co.uk

They have excellent rates for the heavier, bulkier parcels but maybe
beaten for lighter stuff.

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I need to post a mountain bike I've sold on ebay. I have a 'bike box'
>- in fact I think it is the one it was delivered in. Anyone got any
>thoughts on the best way to get it delivered (it is 300 miles from me
>so I can't do it in person).
>
>The bike is worth about £350
>
>Thanks
>
>Simon

in message <[email protected]>, Simon Hawthorne
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I need to post a mountain bike I've sold on ebay. I have a 'bike box'
> - in fact I think it is the one it was delivered in. Anyone got any
> thoughts on the best way to get it delivered (it is 300 miles from me
> so I can't do it in person).
>
> The bike is worth about £350

When I bought a bike off ebay it came with a normal parcels carrier, in
a bike box, well wrapped in bubble wrap. It was fine. Probably better
to get it insured as well, of course.

;; when in the ****, the wise man plants courgettes

> in message <[email protected]>, Simon Hawthorne
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > I need to post a mountain bike I've sold on ebay. I have a 'bike box'
> > - in fact I think it is the one it was delivered in. Anyone got any
> > thoughts on the best way to get it delivered (it is 300 miles from me
> > so I can't do it in person).
> >
> > The bike is worth about £350

> When I bought a bike off ebay it came with a normal parcels carrier, in
> a bike box, well wrapped in bubble wrap. It was fine. Probably better
> to get it insured as well, of course.
>
> --
> [email protected] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
>
> ;; when in the ****, the wise man plants courgettes

I've used http://www.senditquick.com/
48 hour delivery for <£10. I sent a bike from Wiltshire to Edinburgh as a
consequence of selling a bike on Ebay. I'd tried 'phoning Parcelforce who
claimed not to accept bikes. I arranged pick-up with senditquick, and lo
and behold, a Parcel Force van turned up to collect it. It was delivered
safely within 48 hours.

Peter