Better than BioPace

[email protected] wrote:
> http://www.alenax.com/multimedia.php
>
> I shouldn't be surprised at this mechanism, Hank seen the Alenax
> folks start with a continuously variable lever action bicycle and
> going through several versions of that. This one is as weird as the
> other configurations.
>
> Jobst Brandt

Technically it might be different, but.... it's just ratcheting cranks.

If you're married to the idea of the conventional upright bicycle, then
there's not much innovation left to be done because the existing pieces
constrain what can be innovated. I don't own any upright bicycles
anymore, so those problems are no longer mine.

---------

I like the Sherer trike setup, in terms of the theory of how it operates-
http://www.shererusa.com/index.html
.....Although I'm not much interested in trikes.

The advantage I see with a dual-lever mechanism is that you could use
different leg extensions, as well as different portions of your legs'
range of movement, for different riding situations. -Such as, when
people jog/run long-distance over level ground, they take lots of little
steps--they don't take full-running strides, because that's too
exhausting over long distances. But when they run up stairs, they stop
taking lots of little steps and start lunging, skipping several stairs.

With this drive mechanism on a bicycle, you could use the same
technique. You could "jog" over long flat distances, and "lunge" up
hills. Anytime you wanted, you would be free to use the portion of your
leg muscles' extension that was most effective. You can't do that with
any regular cranks that are one length all the time.

The disadvantage with it is that it's no longer possible to "pull up" on
the pedals to contribute power.... but that is only a technique that's
only really necessary on upright bicycles anyway, because (without
clips) riders can't push with more force than they weigh. With
recumbents that isn't a problem, because the rider is pushing against
the recumbent's seat.

The question left is only if it's better overall to be able to "pull" on
the pedals, or be able to push on them with maximum-efficiency all the
time. And your quads are built for carrying far greater loads than your
hanstrings are--so I bet I already know the answer to that question.
~

> http://www.alenax.com/multimedia.php
>
> I shouldn't be surprised at this mechanism, Hank seen the Alenax
> folks start with a continuously variable lever action bicycle and
> going through several versions of that. This one is as weird as the
> other configurations.
>
> Jobst Brandt

"...a milestone in global bicycle history." So the website claims. To
think swapping out the cranks for the equivalent of two ratchet drives
would amount to such a distinction! Hmmm, with the "revolutionary" TPS
drive one can't even freewheel with both cranks at any position other
than 6 O'clock unless one exerts the effort of suspending the feet in
mid-stroke. What price revolution?

Luke

On 2007-04-07, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.alenax.com/multimedia.php
>
> I shouldn't be surprised at this mechanism, Hank seen the Alenax
> folks start with a continuously variable lever action bicycle and
> going through several versions of that. This one is as weird as the
> other configurations.

Interesting. I can see it as useful for someone with range of motion
problems in one or both legs, but what advantage might it have for other
riders?

--

John ([email protected])

Luke Iragusa writes:

http://www.alenax.com/multimedia.php

>> I shouldn't be surprised at this mechanism, Hank seen the Alenax
>> folks start with a continuously variable lever action bicycle and
>> going through several versions of that. This one is as weird as
>> the other configurations.

> "...a milestone in global bicycle history." So the website claims.
> To think swapping out the cranks for the equivalent of two ratchet
> drives would amount to such a distinction! Hmmm, with the
> "revolutionary" TPS drive one can't even freewheel with both cranks
> at any position other than 6 O'clock unless one exerts the effort of
> suspending the feet in mid-stroke. What price revolution?

In earlier versions the same problem was present that is apparent ow,
and that is if you see a bump in the road, you cannot stand up and
absorb it with your legs because both legs are fully extended when
standing. I find it strange that they re-introduced this flaw after
correcting it on their lever bicycle by having a crossover haul-back
cable to allow the pedals to lift one another.

In this configuration, the rider must lift the crank on the upstroke.
What a drag. These guys apparently don't ride bike.

Jobst Brandt