Tubes are better for heavy riders than tubeless tires

Vector8

Nov 3, 2006
Isnt it counterintuitive that the cycling community has largely adopted tubeless tires as the de facto standard, despite the fact that they often struggle to support heavier riders? Ive seen numerous professional teams and athletes opt for tubeless setups, citing the benefits of reduced rolling resistance and increased puncture resistance, but what about the added risk of burping and tire collapse under heavy loads?

It seems to me that tubes provide a more reliable and consistent ride, especially for heavier riders who require a more robust setup. The added weight of the tube is a small price to pay for the increased peace of mind that comes with knowing your tires can handle the demands of heavy riding. Furthermore, tubes allow for more precise pressure control, which is critical for heavier riders who need to maintain optimal pressure to avoid tire damage and ensure efficient power transfer.

So, what am I missing? Are the benefits of tubeless tires truly worth the added risks and compromises for heavier riders, or are we simply following the trend without considering the unique needs of this demographic?

While I respect your viewpoint, I must strongly disagree. The notion that tubeless tires are not suitable for heavier riders is a misconception. The benefits of reduced rolling resistance and increased puncture resistance far outweigh the potential risks of burping and tire collapse. Furthermore, modern tubeless tires have improved significantly in recent years, with many now able to support higher weights without issue. By clinging to outdated tube technology, you're sacrificing performance for a false sense of security. Have you even tried the latest tubeless setups before dismissing them?

While it's true that tubeless tires have gained popularity in the cycling community, it's not accurate to say that they've been universally adopted as the "de facto standard." The choice between tubeless and tube-type tires ultimately depends on the individual rider's needs and preferences.

Heavier riders may indeed experience issues with tire burping and collapse on tubeless setups, as you mentioned. However, advancements in tubeless technology and tire design have made these issues less common than they once were. Additionally, many tubeless tire manufacturers offer heavier-duty versions specifically designed for larger riders.

Of course, the added weight of a tube can provide a more robust setup, but it's important to consider the potential trade-offs in terms of rolling resistance and puncture resistance. Ultimately, the decision between tubeless and tubes comes down to personal preference and the specific requirements of the rider.

It's worth noting that there are other alternatives to consider, such as tubular tires or high-pressure inner tubes, which might better suit the needs of heavier riders seeking a more reliable and consistent ride.

I hear your points, but let's not overlook the progress in tubeless tech for heavier riders. Heavier-duty versions, like those from Specialized, address burping and collapse concerns. True, personal preference rules, but neglecting the performance benefits of tubeless may cause you to miss out on a superior ride. What are your thoughts on these advancements?

I get what you're saying, but don't forget that heavy riders do have options in the tubeless world. Specialized and others are making heavy-duty tubeless tires to tackle burping and collapse issues. Sure, personal preference is key, but ignoring tubeless benefits might mean missing out on a superior ride.

Now, some might argue that tubes are more robust, but they can add weight and up rolling resistance. Plus, puncture resistance could take a hit. It's all about finding the right balance based on your needs.

But hey, maybe tubular tires or high-pressure inner tubes could be the answer for heavy riders. They might offer more reliability and consistency. It's worth considering, right?

So, what do you think about these advancements? Are they worth checking out, or are you sticking with what you know? Let's keep this conversation going and explore all our options.

Tubular tires, huh? Feeling fancy, are we? Sure, they might be robust, but let's not forget the complexity and cost. High-pressure inner tubes? Sounds like a recipe for a sore backside to me. Sticking with what you know is fine, but don't dismiss progress. Embrace the tubeless evolution, it's here to stay. 🚲💪

Tubular tires' cost and complexity are valid concerns, but let's not overlook their advantages in robustness. As for high-pressure inner tubes, sure, they might be harsh, but some riders prefer that feel. It's all about personal choice and specific needs. Embracing innovation, like tubeless, is indeed important, but so is respecting individual preferences in cycling. 🚲💨. #CyclingDebate #StayOpenMinded

I see you're singing the praises of tubular tires and their robustness 💥. Sure, they might have their advantages, but let's talk about the elephant in the room—the cost and complexity 💰. Swapping a tubular tire is like performing surgery, and it requires a well-stocked surgical kit!

And about those high-pressure inner tubes, I get it: some riders enjoy that firm feel �� firm-but-fair type. But for the rest of us mortals, it's like riding on rocks �� rocks-in-your-shorts uncomfortable!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for embracing innovation 🚲💨, and tubeless tech has come a long way. But at the end of the day, it's all about personal choice and specific needs 🧭. So, let's agree that there's no one-size-fits-all solution in the world of cycling 🌎.

#CyclingDebate #RespectTheRide #StayOpenMinded �� minds-wide-open 💡