Bib knickers vs. bib shorts vs. regular shorts for the Road???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Prometheus, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Prometheus

    Prometheus Guest

    What's best and why?

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:
    > Bib knickers vs. bib shorts vs. regular shorts for the Road???

    Wear knickers in cooler weather (50 to 70F); or use knee warmers. Bibs vs. regular shorts are a
    personal preference. I think bib shorts are more comfortable, especially on longer rides. I wouldn't
    be suprised if 100% of Tour de France riders used bibs. Women usually wear regular shorts because of
    their different anatomy.

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >What's best and why?

    I like bibs because my gut hangs over the waist elastic on regulars.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Bibs don't cinch are more comfortable in waist and warmer in winter. Shorts are coolest, least
    expensive and don't bother your waist as long as you have no stomach.

    Knickers are great in cool weather. Make them by getting knee warmers.

    On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 21:34:38 -0500, "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What's best and why?

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Bibs don't cinch are more comfortable in waist and warmer
    in winter.
    > Shorts are coolest, least expensive and don't bother your
    waist as
    > long as you have no stomach.

    Shorts vary a lot in the rise, some will fit over your stomach and some below. Generally, the
    cheaper ones are cut lower. If you have any belly fat at all, the waistband will roll down, they
    won't stay up, etc. People buy bibs to avoid this, but good shorts don't have these problems --
    within reason. If you have a substantial belly, bibs are the only way to go.

    > Knickers are great in cool weather. Make them by getting
    knee
    > warmers.

    I prefer knickers to add-on knee warmers. Plus, if it's really cold, leg warmers that pull up over
    your knees give you a double layer over your knees when worn with knickers.

    Another point is how long the shorts are on your leg. I find longer ones more comfortable -- ones
    that reach almost to the knee, with the hem below the main mass of the quadriceps. This is more
    comfortable than the hem cutting across the main part of the muscle. Again, cheaper shorts tend
    to be skimpy here. It's also more of a problem if you're tall and thin. Knickers avoid this
    problem entirely.

    Matt O.