bicycle computer showing incorrect/no speed

Ted

Guest
I recently had a sigma BC 1200 computer installed on my bike. I bought it
and paid for installation at a reputable bike shop. On the 15km ride home
everything appeared to work, but the next day I took my bike out for a short
ride and immediately noticed that the display was showing my speed at either
below my speed (half, a third etc) or at 0kmh. When the bike is stationary
I can spin the wheel and the speed will usually show what I'm guessing is
the correct speed. The next ride I was getting 0kmh most of the time, other
than right turns. I'm thinking that the right turns move the magnet
slightly closer.. Anyway in the manual it does say that the magnet should
be 5mm max. from the sensor/switch. The closest it reaches is about 8mm. Is
this the likely cause? I would usually trust the manual, but I'd also like
to think I can trust this bike shop.. What do you think? btw the computer
has not been exposed to any rain.

Thanks, Ted

Ted wrote:
> I recently had a sigma BC 1200 computer installed on my bike. I bought it
> and paid for installation at a reputable bike shop. On the 15km ride home
> everything appeared to work, but the next day I took my bike out for a short
> ride and immediately noticed that the display was showing my speed at either
> below my speed (half, a third etc) or at 0kmh. When the bike is stationary
> I can spin the wheel and the speed will usually show what I'm guessing is
> the correct speed. The next ride I was getting 0kmh most of the time, other
> than right turns. I'm thinking that the right turns move the magnet
> slightly closer.. Anyway in the manual it does say that the magnet should
> be 5mm max. from the sensor/switch. The closest it reaches is about 8mm. Is
> this the likely cause? I would usually trust the manual, but I'd also like
> to think I can trust this bike shop.. What do you think? btw the computer
> has not been exposed to any rain.
>
> Thanks, Ted

Oh my!

You see the problem is that the magnetic alloy has not been tuned to
your appropriate wheel alloy. This can usually be solved by pedaling in
reverse for 5 - 10 minutes. Make sure you don't stop or the adjustment
will revert back to the default.

Another way to fix this problem is to ride the bike backwards. Not an
easy feat, but if you find a nice big hill and point the rear wheel down
it, you'll be off in no time.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ted wrote:
>> I recently had a sigma BC 1200 computer installed on my bike. I bought
>> it and paid for installation at a reputable bike shop. On the 15km ride
>> home everything appeared to work, but the next day I took my bike out for
>> a short ride and immediately noticed that the display was showing my
>> speed at either below my speed (half, a third etc) or at 0kmh. When the
>> bike is stationary I can spin the wheel and the speed will usually show
>> what I'm guessing is the correct speed. The next ride I was getting 0kmh
>> most of the time, other than right turns. I'm thinking that the right
>> turns move the magnet slightly closer.. Anyway in the manual it does say
>> that the magnet should be 5mm max. from the sensor/switch. The closest
>> it reaches is about 8mm. Is this the likely cause? I would usually trust
>> the manual, but I'd also like to think I can trust this bike shop.. What
>> do you think? btw the computer has not been exposed to any rain.
>>
>> Thanks, Ted

> Oh my!
>
> You see the problem is that the magnetic alloy has not been tuned to your
> appropriate wheel alloy. This can usually be solved by pedaling in
> reverse for 5 - 10 minutes. Make sure you don't stop or the adjustment
> will revert back to the default.
>
> Another way to fix this problem is to ride the bike backwards. Not an
> easy feat, but if you find a nice big hill and point the rear wheel down
> it, you'll be off in no time.
>
> --
> o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
> www.schnauzers.ws

Huh?? Anyway I got it to about 3mm, still doesn't work. What will
spinning the wheel backwards do?

Ted wrote:
> Huh?? Anyway I got it to about 3mm, still doesn't work. What will
> spinning the wheel backwards do?

Just throw that piece of **** away and ride your bike.

JD

Ted wrote:
> Huh?? Anyway I got it to about 3mm, still doesn't work. What will
> spinning the wheel backwards do?

Just throw that piece of **** away and ride your bike.

JD

> Ted wrote:

>>The closest it reaches is about 8mm. Is this the likely cause?

Try moving the pick up closer to the sensor and let's see.

> Ted wrote:

>>The closest it reaches is about 8mm. Is this the likely cause?

Try moving the pick up closer to the sensor and let's see.

> Ted wrote:
>> Huh?? Anyway I got it to about 3mm, still doesn't work. What will
>> spinning the wheel backwards do?

> Just throw that piece of **** away and ride your bike.
>
> JD

Yeah I do, I and I'm planning a long ride over many weeks and I think it
will be good to know how far to the nearest towns so that if it's getting
dark I know whether to keep riding and get a room with a shower etc or just
set up camp next to the nearest creek. Anyway, you go for for little day
rides, and don't bother with a computer because you won't need one. But I
do.

> Ted wrote:
>> Huh?? Anyway I got it to about 3mm, still doesn't work. What will
>> spinning the wheel backwards do?

> Just throw that piece of **** away and ride your bike.
>
> JD

Yeah I do, I and I'm planning a long ride over many weeks and I think it
will be good to know how far to the nearest towns so that if it's getting
dark I know whether to keep riding and get a room with a shower etc or just
set up camp next to the nearest creek. Anyway, you go for for little day
rides, and don't bother with a computer because you won't need one. But I
do.

"Ted" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I recently had a sigma BC 1200 computer installed on my bike. I bought it
>and paid for installation at a reputable bike shop. On the 15km ride home
>everything appeared to work, but the next day I took my bike out for a
>short ride and immediately noticed that the display was showing my speed at
>either below my speed (half, a third etc) or at 0kmh. When the bike is
>stationary I can spin the wheel and the speed will usually show what I'm
>guessing is the correct speed. The next ride I was getting 0kmh most of
>the time, other than right turns. I'm thinking that the right turns move
>the magnet slightly closer.. Anyway in the manual it does say that the
>magnet should be 5mm max. from the sensor/switch. The closest it reaches
>is about 8mm. Is this the likely cause? I would usually trust the manual,
>but I'd also like to think I can trust this bike shop.. What do you think?
>btw the computer has not been exposed to any rain.
>
> Thanks, Ted

Moved it to 3mm, still doesn't work..

Ted wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Ted wrote:
> >> Huh?? Anyway I got it to about 3mm, still doesn't work. What will
> >> spinning the wheel backwards do?

> > Just throw that piece of **** away and ride your bike.
> >
> > JD
> >

> Yeah I do, I and I'm planning a long ride over many weeks and I think it
> will be good to know how far to the nearest towns so that if it's getting
> dark I know whether to keep riding and get a room with a shower etc or just
> set up camp next to the nearest creek.

Is this about mountain biking? It certainly doesn't sound like
mountain biking, but more like road bicycle touring. The last time I
did a multiday mountain bike tour, I had these cool things called a map
and compass and wasn't worried about mileage to a town. Then again,
there were no towns on the route. Those cool things called a map also
have water features on them, such as lakes, creeks, rivers, etc. Those
features, coupled with other terrain features actually make it possible
to figure out where you are with trianguation and other terrain
navigation skills. What's going to happen when your POS "computer"
craps out on you? Will you be forever lost because of your dependence
on electronic garbage?

> Anyway, you go for for little day
> rides, and don't bother with a computer because you won't need one. But I
> do.

You must have one foggy crystal ball, pal. You have no idea of what,
where, or how long my rides are. I don't bother with a "computer" on
my bicycles because I will never need one, no matter where I decide to
ride. You need one in an apparent case of ineptitude. What other
electronic crutches will you be touring with?

JD

> Ted wrote:
>> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> > Just throw that piece of **** away and ride your bike.
>> >
>> > JD
>> >

>> Yeah I do, I and I'm planning a long ride over many weeks and I think it
>> will be good to know how far to the nearest towns so that if it's getting
>> dark I know whether to keep riding and get a room with a shower etc or
>> just
>> set up camp next to the nearest creek.

> Is this about mountain biking? It certainly doesn't sound like
> mountain biking, but more like road bicycle touring. The last time I
> did a multiday mountain bike tour, I had these cool things called a map
> and compass and wasn't worried about mileage to a town. Then again,
> there were no towns on the route. Those cool things called a map also
> have water features on them, such as lakes, creeks, rivers, etc. Those
> features, coupled with other terrain features actually make it possible
> to figure out where you are with trianguation and other terrain
> navigation skills. What's going to happen when your POS "computer"
> craps out on you? Will you be forever lost because of your dependence
> on electronic garbage?
>
>> Anyway, you go for for little day
>> rides, and don't bother with a computer because you won't need one. But
>> do.

> You must have one foggy crystal ball, pal. You have no idea of what,
> where, or how long my rides are. I don't bother with a "computer" on
> my bicycles because I will never need one, no matter where I decide to
> ride. You need one in an apparent case of ineptitude. What other
> electronic crutches will you be touring with?
>
> JD

You also are no mind reader, therefore you have no idea as to why a computer
is of use to me. I will easily survive with my maps and compass, but I also
can make use of a bike computer.

Ted wrote:
> "Ted" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I recently had a sigma BC 1200 computer installed on my bike. I
>> bought it and paid for installation at a reputable bike shop. On
>> the 15km ride home everything appeared to work, but the next day I
>> took my bike out for a short ride and immediately noticed that the
>> display was showing my speed at either below my speed (half, a third
>> etc) or at 0kmh. When the bike is stationary I can spin the wheel
>> and the speed will usually show what I'm guessing is the correct
>> speed. The next ride I was getting 0kmh most of the time, other
>> than right turns. I'm thinking that the right turns move the magnet
>> slightly closer.. Anyway in the manual it does say that the magnet
>> should be 5mm max. from the sensor/switch. The closest it reaches
>> is about 8mm. Is this the likely cause? I would usually trust the
>> manual, but I'd also like to think I can trust this bike shop.. What do
>> you think? btw the computer has not been exposed to any
>> rain. Thanks, Ted
>>

> Moved it to 3mm, still doesn't work..

"Ted" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I recently had a sigma BC 1200 computer installed on my bike. I bought it
>and paid for installation at a reputable bike shop. On the 15km ride home
>everything appeared to work, but the next day I took my bike out for a
>short ride and immediately noticed that the display was showing my speed at
>either below my speed (half, a third etc) or at 0kmh. When the bike is
>stationary I can spin the wheel and the speed will usually show what I'm
>guessing is the correct speed. The next ride I was getting 0kmh most of
>the time, other than right turns. I'm thinking that the right turns move
>the magnet slightly closer.. Anyway in the manual it does say that the
>magnet should be 5mm max. from the sensor/switch. The closest it reaches
>is about 8mm. Is this the likely cause? I would usually trust the manual,
>but I'd also like to think I can trust this bike shop.. What do you think?
>btw the computer has not been exposed to any rain.
>
> Thanks, Ted

It's that kilometer **** that's messing things up. Apparently, it works just
fine when it's stationary.
I'd just stay home and drink heavily................. but then.... that's
just me.
Marty

You know, I'm starting to think that the vandeman dude is kinda right, the
average mountain biker (or so he/she appears from this newsgroup) is kinda
stupid!

Ted wrote:
> You know, I'm starting to think that the vandeman dude is kinda
> right, the average mountain biker (or so he/she appears from this
> newsgroup) is kinda stupid!

This from a guy who a) has to get his cyclometer "professionally installed";
b) can't figure out how to move the pickup sensor close enough for the
stupid thing to work; and c) can't post a reply quoting the material to
which he's whin-- er, repsonding.

Run along now Teddy. We're bored with you...

BS

Bill Sornson wrote:
> Ted wrote:
>
>>You know, I'm starting to think that the vandeman dude is kinda
>>right, the average mountain biker (or so he/she appears from this
>>newsgroup) is kinda stupid!

> This from a guy who a) has to get his cyclometer "professionally installed";
> b) can't figure out how to move the pickup sensor close enough for the
> stupid thing to work; and c) can't post a reply quoting the material to
> which he's whin-- er, repsonding.
>
> Run along now Teddy. We're bored with you...
>
> BS

Don't forget he fell for pedaling the dang bike backwards.

If he would have read the manual he would have found out the wheel
diameter setting was wrong. Oops! I just gave away the answer.

Almost reminds me of that Fungus dude.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Ted wrote:
>> You know, I'm starting to think that the vandeman dude is kinda
>> right, the average mountain biker (or so he/she appears from this
>> newsgroup) is kinda stupid!

> This from a guy who a) has to get his cyclometer "professionally
> installed"; I didn't have to, I chose to.

> b) can't figure out how to move the pickup sensor close enough for the
> stupid thing to work

If you read my reply, you would have noticed I got to to just over half of
the recommended distance, but it did not make a difference.
and c) can't post a reply quoting the material to
> which he's whin-- er, repsonding.

Is this better?

> Run along now Teddy. We're bored with you...

Then why respond?

> BS

Ted (A.K.A Teddy..)

"Ted" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bill Sornson" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:eek:[email protected]...
>> Ted wrote:
>>> You know, I'm starting to think that the vandeman dude is kinda
>>> right, the average mountain biker (or so he/she appears from this
>>> newsgroup) is kinda stupid!

>> This from a guy who a) has to get his cyclometer "professionally
>> installed"; I didn't have to, I chose to.

>> b) can't figure out how to move the pickup sensor close enough for the
>> stupid thing to work

> If you read my reply, you would have noticed I got to to just over half of
> the recommended distance, but it did not make a difference.
> and c) can't post a reply quoting the material to
>> which he's whin-- er, repsonding.

> Is this better?
>>
>> Run along now Teddy. We're bored with you...

> Then why respond?
>>
>> BS
>>

> Ted (A.K.A Teddy..)

I'm even starting to post like vandeman now! And you're all LIARS. Typical
mountain bikers.