bicycle computer showing incorrect/no speed

> Don't forget he fell for pedaling the dang bike backwards.

Umm no I didn't fall for it..
> If he would have read the manual he would have found out the wheel
> diameter setting was wrong. Oops! I just gave away the answer.

Nope, wheel diameter was and is set correctly. Would it have worked
correctly to begin with if it wasn't correct? Nope I don't think so!! Hey
Mike, do you think these mountain bikers appear stupid? I do.

Ted

Ted wrote:

> Hey
> Mike, do you think these mountain bikers appear stupid? I do.

Hey, Ted - I've never had trouble installing or getting my bike
computers to work. And you're calling folks stupid, when you can't
figure it out?

Irony.

Here're some clues, don't get info overload, OK?

1.) Take the thing to your bike shop, and get them to help you.

2.) Call the manufacturer (e-mail, semaphore, whatever) and ask them
to help you.

3.) Search the manufacturer's website for a FAQ. Or even a
troubleshooting page.

There.

And of course, if all that fails, you could always just take JD's
advice - stuff works that way too.

E.P.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Ted wrote:
>> >

>> Hey
>> Mike, do you think these mountain bikers appear stupid? I do.
>>

> Hey, Ted - I've never had trouble installing or getting my bike
> computers to work. And you're calling folks stupid, when you can't
> figure it out?
>
> Irony.
>
> Here're some clues, don't get info overload, OK?
>
> 1.) Take the thing to your bike shop, and get them to help you.
>
> 2.) Call the manufacturer (e-mail, semaphore, whatever) and ask them
> to help you.
>
> 3.) Search the manufacturer's website for a FAQ. Or even a
> troubleshooting page.
>
> There.
>
> And of course, if all that fails, you could always just take JD's
> advice - stuff works that way too.
>
> E.P.

Hey I have it figured out, it is faulty!

Ted wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Ted wrote:
>>>>
>>> Hey
>>> Mike, do you think these mountain bikers appear stupid? I do.
>>>

>> Hey, Ted - I've never had trouble installing or getting my bike
>> computers to work. And you're calling folks stupid, when you can't
>> figure it out?
>>
>> Irony.
>>
>> Here're some clues, don't get info overload, OK?
>>
>> 1.) Take the thing to your bike shop, and get them to help you.
>>
>> 2.) Call the manufacturer (e-mail, semaphore, whatever) and ask them
>> to help you.
>>
>> 3.) Search the manufacturer's website for a FAQ. Or even a
>> troubleshooting page.
>>
>> There.
>>
>> And of course, if all that fails, you could always just take JD's
>> advice - stuff works that way too.
>>
>> E.P.
>>

> Hey I have it figured out, it is faulty!

Your brain? Ask for a refund...

:cool:

"Ted" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You know, I'm starting to think that the vandeman dude is kinda right, the
> average mountain biker (or so he/she appears from this newsgroup) is kinda
> stupid!

Lighten up Scooter. It was a joke.

Please don't invoke "he who must not be named".

Marty

Ted wrote:
> I recently had a sigma BC 1200 computer installed on my bike. I bought it
> and paid for installation at a reputable bike shop. On the 15km ride home
> everything appeared to work, but the next day I took my bike out for a short
> ride and immediately noticed that the display was showing my speed at either
> below my speed (half, a third etc) or at 0kmh. When the bike is stationary
> I can spin the wheel and the speed will usually show what I'm guessing is
> the correct speed. The next ride I was getting 0kmh most of the time, other
> than right turns. I'm thinking that the right turns move the magnet
> slightly closer.. Anyway in the manual it does say that the magnet should
> be 5mm max. from the sensor/switch. The closest it reaches is about 8mm. Is
> this the likely cause? I would usually trust the manual, but I'd also like
> to think I can trust this bike shop.. What do you think? btw the computer
> has not been exposed to any rain.
>
> Thanks, Ted

Ted, these things are not rocket science, and the reason that you are
being given grief is because most people are surprised to hear that you
have had a bicycle computer "professionally" installed. That's akin to
hiring someone to wipe your ****. Wiping your **** and installing a
bike computer are both effortless jobs that you can easily do yourself
for a lot less money. OK, I can see that you probably biked to the shop,
bought said computer and while you were there got them take a few
minutes to hook it up for you, but you made it sound like you made a
special trip to the store to get it done.

A friendly word of advice too. You might think that people are stupid
here but trust me, start acting like he-who-will-not-be-named and you
WILL start to **** people off. Which would be a shame, because you can
actually get an awful lot of really helpful advice from people that have
a good deal of experience here if you need it.

There is no secret decoder ring for this newsgroup and no secret
handshake. Just have a thick skin and a dry sense of humour.
--
Westie

"Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> Bill Sornson wrote:
> > Ted wrote:
> >
> >>You know, I'm starting to think that the vandeman dude is kinda
> >>right, the average mountain biker (or so he/she appears from this
> >>newsgroup) is kinda stupid!

> > This from a guy who a) has to get his cyclometer "professionally

installed";
> > b) can't figure out how to move the pickup sensor close enough for the
> > stupid thing to work; and c) can't post a reply quoting the material to
> > which he's whin-- er, repsonding.
> >
> > Run along now Teddy. We're bored with you...
> >
> > BS
> >

> Don't forget he fell for pedaling the dang bike backwards.
>
> If he would have read the manual he would have found out the wheel
> diameter setting was wrong. Oops! I just gave away the answer.
>
> Almost reminds me of that Fungus dude.

Damn you people like to pile it on.

Ask a stupid question and one of two things will happen:

1) you'll get attacked by all the popular kids in the group, or

2) you'll get attacked by an unpopular kid, and the popular kids will back
you up and give you advice.

wtf??

I just got a GPS for mine, and it very accurately tells me im riding a
lot slower than i want to be, and that I've covered less distance than
i had hoped i had. Nightmare these electronic gadgets lol.

Take it back to the shop.

Paul R wrote:
>> 1) you'll get attacked by all the popular kids in the group, or

> 2) you'll get attacked by an unpopular kid, and the popular kids will back
> you up and give you advice.
>
> wtf??

Its only cos we are all kids :)

Ted wrote:
> You also are no mind reader, therefore you have no idea as to why a computer
> is of use to me.

reads: "I know you are, but what am I?" A bike computer is useless to
those who know how to navigate wit a map and compass.

> I will easily survive with my maps and compass, but I also can make use of a
> bike computer.

You wrote that you "need" one. Only one who is inept at orienteering
would "need" one. Make sure you write about when it breaks and you get
lost.

JD

Westie wrote:
> A friendly word of advice too. You might think that people are stupid
> here but trust me, start acting like he-who-will-not-be-named and you
> WILL start to **** people off. Which would be a shame, because you can
> actually get an awful lot of really helpful advice from people that have
> a good deal of experience here if you need it.

But braindeadted is just like all of the other e-tards who pop into
am-b and almost immediately start crying "foul". His fragile psyche
has been irreparably damaged already. It doesn't really **** me off
because it's too amusing. I really liked his flip-flopping around with
calling *us* stupid.

JD

Paul R wrote:
> "Ride-A-Lot" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:eek:[email protected]...
>> Bill Sornson wrote:

>>> This from a guy who a) has to get his cyclometer "professionally
>>> installed"; b) can't figure out how to move the pickup sensor close
>>> enough for the stupid thing to work; and c) can't post a reply
>>> quoting the material to which he's whin-- er, repsonding.
>>>
>>> Run along now Teddy. We're bored with you...
>>>
>>> BS
>>>

>> Don't forget he fell for pedaling the dang bike backwards.
>>
>> If he would have read the manual he would have found out the wheel
>> diameter setting was wrong. Oops! I just gave away the answer.
>>
>> Almost reminds me of that Fungus dude.

> Damn you people like to pile it on.
>
> Ask a stupid question and one of two things will happen:
>
> 1) you'll get attacked by all the popular kids in the group, or
>
> 2) you'll get attacked by an unpopular kid, and the popular kids will
> back you up and give you advice.

Or 3) You'll start flailing about trying to "get even" with the meanies who
gave you a hard time, and make it MUCH worse than it was to start with.
(Hint: re-read the thread. Hell, just re-read the top of THIS post.)

Bill "wah, he started it!" S.

Marty wrote:
> "Ted" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>You know, I'm starting to think that the vandeman dude is kinda right, the
>>average mountain biker (or so he/she appears from this newsgroup) is kinda
>>stupid!
>>

> Lighten up Scooter. It was a joke.
>
> Please don't invoke "he who must not be named".

C'mon Marty go ahead, say it...

Vandemort

See that wasn't so bad.
:)

Shawn

> Ted wrote:
>> You also are no mind reader, therefore you have no idea as to why a
>> computer
>> is of use to me.

> reads: "I know you are, but what am I?" A bike computer is useless to
> those who know how to navigate wit a map and compass.

"Just throw that piece of **** away and ride your bike" reads "I'm a
******** with nothing to do but **** on my piece of usenet grass and wait
for the support of my sycophants when the poor OP defends himself."

Asshole.

JD wrote:
> Westie wrote:
> > A friendly word of advice too. You might think that people are stupid
> > here but trust me, start acting like he-who-will-not-be-named and you
> > WILL start to **** people off. Which would be a shame, because you can
> > actually get an awful lot of really helpful advice from people that have
> > a good deal of experience here if you need it.

> But braindeadted is just like all of the other e-tards who pop into
> am-b and almost immediately start crying "foul".

Without doing a damn bit of self-help, and then not actually ever
contributing anything.

Let's see - does that make me a sycophant? Or just a sicko?

I'd like to think I'm just full-up with common sense.

Naw, that can't be it - I must just be kissing *your* lily-white ass.

:roll eyes:

E.P.

cc wrote:
> "JD" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Ted wrote:
>>
>>>You also are no mind reader, therefore you have no idea as to why a
>>>computer
>>>is of use to me.

>>reads: "I know you are, but what am I?" A bike computer is useless to
>>those who know how to navigate wit a map and compass.
>>

> "Just throw that piece of **** away and ride your bike" reads "I'm a
> ******** with nothing to do but **** on my piece of usenet grass and wait
> for the support of my sycophants when the poor OP defends himself."
>
> Asshole.

Oh boy. Here comes Mr. Stanford Edumacation out of his hole to put his
two cents in. Obviously, you went right to JD's comment and didn't read
the thread from the beginning. Let's see that makes me a sycophant, but
makes you ignorant.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Wow, no wonder "he who's not to be named" or whatever you like to call him
likes to troll here! And yes Westie, I took the bike in for some repairs
(haha I guess I should be doing all repairs for myself too??) and picked out
a computer when I dropped it off. They put it on when they worked on my
bike. Does that sound so strange to you all? And yes, it was
professionally installed due to the fact that those who installed it do such
things as their profession. I paid for the computer, the parts needed for
repair of my bike and the labour involved - The labour was the same as that
quoted before I even decided to get the computer. Anyway I'm off for a ride
(btw I had the computer replaced after it was professionally diagnosed as
suffering from faulty circuitry).

Ted

Ted wrote:

> (btw I was professionally diagnosed as suffering from faulty circuitry).
>
> Ted

Yes, we know.

--
Slack - fashionably late for the fight

"Slack" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ted wrote:
>>
>> (btw I was professionally diagnosed as suffering from faulty circuitry).
>>
>> Ted

> Yes, we know.
>
> --
> Slack - fashionably late for the fight

Yes, what do we know? We know that you edited my post and quoted me
fraudulently.

Ted