Bicycle Fit at Olympic Park Sports Medicine

parawolf

New Member
Jan 16, 2006
As the title suggests, i'm orf on Friday the 16th to Olympic Park Sports Medicine Centre for a visit to Emma Colson to try and remidate some ****ling issues.

Since this will be my first fitment since I bought the bike and i've done plenty of 4 hour -> 8.5 hour rides on the bike covering distances up to 200km in a single sitting, i'm fairly comfortable.

However with my intensity and volume ramping up since i've started getting properly trained some issues are coming out of the woodwork. Basially some Glute muscle issues which a little painful and stiff, and some mild lower back stiffness.

Now I do stretch a little every day, and some core exercises daily, but just does not seem to help. After reading in this months Bicycling Australia magazine the bit from Steve Hogg about pelvic asymetry the light globe just flickered on.

Looking at myself in the mirror while stretching, it looks to me that i've got a leg length discrepancy. Or at least the femur is longer on one leg than the other.

ANYWAYY!

To the point... Since i'm 'comfortable' on the bike, just when i'm pushing higher intensities things are seeming to get uncomfortable. Should I just play mute after describing my problems? or does anyone have suggestions on information I could take with me to speed up the process?

On Mar 6, 2:58 pm, parawolf <parawolf.2n0...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> To the point... Since i'm 'comfortable' on the bike, just when i'm
> pushing higher intensities things are seeming to get uncomfortable.
> Should I just play mute after describing my problems? or does anyone
> have suggestions on information I could take with me to speed up the
> process?

Emma's (I hear, I've never seen her myself, but have referred a number
of people to her) very good. She's my first choice to refer people to
if we can't sort them out.

Go as fully informed as possible. Ask questions .. be difficult.
It's your body.

Bleve said:
On Mar 6, 2:58 pm, parawolf <parawolf.2n0...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> To the point... Since i'm 'comfortable' on the bike, just when i'm
> pushing higher intensities things are seeming to get uncomfortable.
> Should I just play mute after describing my problems? or does anyone
> have suggestions on information I could take with me to speed up the
> process?

Emma's (I hear, I've never seen her myself, but have referred a number
of people to her) very good. She's my first choice to refer people to
if we can't sort them out.

Go as fully informed as possible. Ask questions .. be difficult.
It's your body.
ask her how her back is

Bleve said:
Emma's (I hear, I've never seen her myself, but have referred a number
of people to her) very good. She's my first choice to refer people to
if we can't sort them out.

Go as fully informed as possible. Ask questions .. be difficult.
It's your body.

Cool. It ain't cheap so i'm hoping to get the most out of it. Hopefully it won't be much (like a shoe/cleat wedge or something) to help out with the leg imbalance and then a few stretches or whatever. It must be minute as far as adjustments go considering how 'comfortable' on the bike I am already. But perhaps there is more to it.

My Polar Power kit shows an interesting story though... Saturday at Northern Combine Carlsruhe West, my "Left/Right" balance was biased towards my right side. Quite an interesting result. Only 40% of my power was coming from my left leg if I read it correctly.

On Mar 6, 4:06 pm, parawolf <parawolf.2n0...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>

> > Emma's (I hear, I've never seen her myself, but have referred a number
> > of people to her) very good. She's my first choice to refer people to
> > if we can't sort them out.

> > Go as fully informed as possible. Ask questions .. be difficult.
> > It's your body.

> Cool. It ain't cheap so i'm hoping to get the most out of it. Hopefully
> it won't be much (like a shoe/cleat wedge or something) to help out with
> the leg imbalance and then a few stretches or whatever. It must be
> minute as far as adjustments go considering how 'comfortable' on the
> bike I am already. But perhaps there is more to it.
>
> My Polar Power kit shows an interesting story though... Saturday at
> Northern Combine Carlsruhe West, my "Left/Right" balance was biased
> towards my right side. Quite an interesting result. Only 40% of my
> power was coming from my left leg if I read it correctly.

The polar power meter is a random number generator :)

On Mar 6, 1:58 pm, parawolf <parawolf.2n0...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> As the title suggests, i'm orf on Friday the 16th to Olympic Park Sports
> Medicine Centre for a visit to Emma Colson to try and remidate some
> ****ling issues.
>
> Since this will be my first fitment since I bought the bike and i've
> done plenty of 4 hour -> 8.5 hour rides on the bike covering distances
> up to 200km in a single sitting, i'm fairly comfortable.
>
> However with my intensity and volume ramping up since i've started
> getting properly trained some issues are coming out of the woodwork.
> Basially some Glute muscle issues which a little painful and stiff, and
> some mild lower back stiffness.
>
> Now I do stretch a little every day, and some core exercises daily, but
> just does not seem to help. After reading in this months Bicycling
> Australia magazine the bit from Steve Hogg about pelvic asymetry the
> light globe just flickered on.
>
> Looking at myself in the mirror while stretching, it looks to me that
> i've got a leg length discrepancy. Or at least the femur is longer on
> one leg than the other.
>
> ANYWAYY!
>
> To the point... Since i'm 'comfortable' on the bike, just when i'm
> pushing higher intensities things are seeming to get uncomfortable.
> Should I just play mute after describing my problems? or does anyone
> have suggestions on information I could take with me to speed up the
> process?
>
> --
> parawolf

Have you ever tried a therapeutic massage? All the stretching in the
world won't release a knot in a muscle. If you lift your intensity,
it's pretty likely something will seize up and need some help to
release it. Once one muscle knots up, others right around your body
start to go out in sympathy. Lots of athletes get regular massage. You
might find there's no need to start playing with bike fit, leg length
etc.

Donga

Donga said:
Have you ever tried a therapeutic massage? All the stretching in the
world won't release a knot in a muscle. If you lift your intensity,
it's pretty likely something will seize up and need some help to
release it. Once one muscle knots up, others right around your body
start to go out in sympathy. Lots of athletes get regular massage. You
might find there's no need to start playing with bike fit, leg length
etc.

Indeed, which is one of the reasons why i'm happy to be going to Emma. She is also a qualified physio. So considering that i'm happy on the bike for 8hour stretches, did the 200km Shepparton Fruit Loop after only having the bike 4 weeks, and did the 130km AAC this year all without pain or problem i'm confident the bike fit is 99.9% there. It has only been in the past 2 - 3 weeks when it has been a problem, and that is when the intensity of the program has stepped up.

So, as someone that is well versed in bike fit and analysis, but also a physio - and not a 'bike store fit' where there is always the possibility of getting 'sold' on a part to fix the problem (not all do this, but some you just get the feeling do). I'm hoping that I get a solid reason for fix, if the result is - here get a massage once a week for the next 5 weeks, then thats the outcome.

But i'm looking for an answer, and I think i'm paying the right person to give me what I need, not what I want to hear, or what they want to sell at the time.

Bleve said:
The polar power meter is a random number generator :)

As much as i'd like to be able to afford a powertap or a set of SRM cranks, that just is not in consideration at the moment as the cost of that technology is way too much.

I'd have to put one on rentsmart for 3 years to be able to afford it.

On Mar 6, 10:25 pm, parawolf <parawolf.2n0...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Bleve Wrote:
>

> > The polar power meter is a random number generator :)

> As much as i'd like to be able to afford a powertap or a set of SRM
> cranks, that just is not in consideration at the moment as the cost of
> that technology is way too much.

The point is, that I wouldn't take its results into too much
consideration.