Bicycle Routes on Google Earth

Terry Collins

Guest
Has anyone used Google Earth to describe and share bicycle routes?
Linked it back to web pages?

Apparently you need to subscribe to the $US20pa version to draw routes.

I would like to find out what was possible and the limitations before
committing hours of work to something.

Sadly, FOSS doesn't seem to have delivered a workable solution to roll
your own.

This guy has done it
http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

The interface ***** me a bit, and it's not bike-centric, so I'm rolling
my own - right now in fact!

Hopefully have something ready late next week, I'll be sure to spam
y'all about it ;-)

Jules

Jules wrote:
> This guy has done it
> http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
>
> The interface ***** me a bit, and it's not bike-centric, so I'm rolling
> my own - right now in fact!

Interesting. Yes, I agree about creating routes in that. The
instructions are shite and I found that I really was looking for a node
editing capacity.

What I am looking at is the network link that Google Earth where you can
define a route and GE provides distance, elevation, etc, but the network
link provides a description and other information.

I know this sort of stuff is supposed to be the ultimate goal of GE, but
I think it is going to be a few generations before you can safely
bicycle tour with a satellite link back to GE to guide you.

> Hopefully have something ready late next week, I'll be sure to spam
> y'all about it ;-)

Thanks.

> Jules

> Interesting. Yes, I agree about creating routes in that. The
> instructions are shite and I found that I really was looking for a node
> editing capacity.

Absolutely... just got the editing bit mostly working half an hour ago
and have called it quits for today ;-)

My commute:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=191669

I had a fair idea (now confirmed!) that it was (on average) more downhill into the city.

For some reason the elevation doesn't always load. The satellite images are pretty poor out where I live, but at least the roads are accurate and the distance matches up with the bike computer.

roshea said:
My commute:

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=191669

I had a fair idea (now confirmed!) that it was (on average) more downhill into the city.

For some reason the elevation doesn't always load. The satellite images are pretty poor out where I live, but at least the roads are accurate and the distance matches up with the bike computer.
If you click on MAP now on Google Maps you'll find that all of Australia is now mapped.