bicycle to control blud pressure

• Thread starter Dennis Johnston
  • Start date

D

Dennis Johnston

after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,, I got on the rollers and did 10
mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150 for a lot of the time. half hour after showering the bp was
122/74 . at 58 yrs old can some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of this ,how to regulate
the exercise.. this amount of exertion is greater than the 12 mi. commute.

Dennis Johnston wrote:
> after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,, I got on the rollers and did
> 10 mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150 for a lot of the time. half hour after showering the bp
> was 122/74 . at 58 yrs old can some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of this ,how to
> regulate the exercise.. this amount of exertion is greater than the 12 mi. commute.

Might I suggest talking to your doctor? (And a decent spell-checker wouldn't kill ya, either.)

High BP is not something to self-treat or ignore IMO.

Bill "blud sucker" S.

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:47:31 -0600, "Dennis Johnston" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,, I got on the rollers and did
>10 mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150 for a lot of the time. half hour after showering the bp was
>122/74 . at 58 yrs old can some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of this ,how to
>regulate the exercise.. this amount of exertion is greater than the 12 mi. commute.

The first isn't a real comfortable number, absent a singular cause. The second is too high, period.
I'm not a fan of stress tests (the bills keep coming for months afterwards, for piddly stuff), but
if your BP is accurate, you could probably use one. Ignoring it is taking a real chance on a stroke.

That it drops to 122/74 just means that post exercise puts you into a high normal range. I'd still
do a check an hour or two after that.

Caveat: the majority of people who do their own blood pressure with the old style cuffs don't get
accurate reads and don't know when to retest. Even with the new style, which are more idiot proof by
a bunch, and having a nurse (my wife) do it, it still produces an occasional bad reading that
requires a redo.

Best part of the new cuffs is that with the old, if my wife was irritated with me, she start at
about 300 and let it work down...

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels... Not a doctor, but have heard more
lectures about my blood pressure than any intern hears in medical school. 124/62 isn't good, but you
should have seen the peak.

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dennis Johnston wrote:
> > after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,, I got on the rollers and
> > did 10 mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150 for a lot of the time. half hour after showering the
> > bp was 122/74 . at 58 yrs old can some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of this ,how
> > to regulate the exercise.. this amount of exertion is greater than the 12 mi. commute.
>
> Might I suggest talking to your doctor? (And a decent spell-checker wouldn't kill ya, either.)

LOL! But "bin" and "hart" are spelt correctly!

Dave

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:01:10 -0600, "onefred" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Dennis Johnston wrote:
>> > after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,, I got on the rollers and
>> > did 10 mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150 for a lot of the time. half hour after showering
>> > the bp was 122/74 . at 58 yrs old can some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of this
>> > ,how to regulate the exercise.. this amount of exertion is greater than the 12 mi. commute.
>>
>> Might I suggest talking to your doctor? (And a decent spell-checker wouldn't kill ya, either.)
>
>LOL! But "bin" and "hart" are spelt correctly!
>

"Just as the hart thirsts for the waters' font, So doth my soul thirst for Thee, O Lord."

- Psalm 42

-Luigi

Right. Dennis, your initial measurement of 163 / 122 is quite high. The 122/74 levels are within
normal range. To be frank, those high levels will shorten your life! Get to a doctor pronto and get
a thorough checkout. Listen to what he says. Almost always you can keep on exercising. Sometimes
just getting yourself into a normal weight range can reduce B.P into the normal range too. From my
experience, I found my drop in B.P. is short-lived, usually for only 8 hours or less. I still need
to take medication.

r.b.

"S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Dennis Johnston wrote:
> > after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,, I got on the rollers and
> > did 10 mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150 for a lot of the time. half hour after showering the
> > bp was 122/74 . at 58 yrs old can some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of this ,how
> > to regulate the exercise.. this amount of exertion is greater than the 12 mi. commute.
>
> Might I suggest talking to your doctor? (And a decent spell-checker wouldn't kill ya, either.)
>
> High BP is not something to self-treat or ignore IMO.
>
> Bill "blud sucker" S.

All blood pressure measurements are based on RESTING BP. How long after stopping exercise did you
take the reading of 163/122? I highly recommend taking the heart rate about the same time. If the
heart rate is still high, repeat 5 minutes later.

"Curtis L. Russell" wrote:
>
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 12:47:31 -0600, "Dennis Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >after work yesterday my bp was 163/122 higher than it has ever bin,, I got on the rollers and did
> >10 mi. hart rate up to 168 and over 150 for a lot of the time. half hour after showering the bp
> >was 122/74 . at 58 yrs old can some one give me guidance as to the good and bad of this ,how to
> >regulate the exercise.. this amount of exertion is greater than the 12 mi. commute.
>
> The first isn't a real comfortable number, absent a singular cause. The second is too high,
> period. I'm not a fan of stress tests (the bills keep coming for months afterwards, for piddly
> stuff), but if your BP is accurate, you could probably use one. Ignoring it is taking a real
> chance on a stroke.
>
> That it drops to 122/74 just means that post exercise puts you into a high normal range. I'd still
> do a check an hour or two after that.
>
> Caveat: the majority of people who do their own blood pressure with the old style cuffs don't get
> accurate reads and don't know when to retest. Even with the new style, which are more idiot proof
> by a bunch, and having a nurse (my wife) do it, it still produces an occasional bad reading that
> requires a redo.
>
> Best part of the new cuffs is that with the old, if my wife was irritated with me, she start at
> about 300 and let it work down...
>
> Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels... Not a doctor, but have heard
> more lectures about my blood pressure than any intern hears in medical school. 124/62 isn't good,
> but you should have seen the peak.

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 15:25:58 -0500, Curtis L. Russell
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Best part of the new cuffs is that with the old, if my wife was irritated with me, she start at
>about 300 and let it work down...
>

Hey that's how I learned to do it back in high school...!

Sthethoscope, too, & wait for the needle to waggle right?

-Luigi Jack of all trades Master of the obvious

>Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels... Not a doctor, but have heard more
>lectures about my blood pressure than any intern hears in medical school. 124/62 isn't good, but
>you should have seen the peak.

On 05 Mar 2004 02:54:05 GMT, [email protected] (Denver C. Fox) wrote:

>I could not figure out why my blood pressure was so high after being controlled. I read the study,
>stopped the Ibu, and it cam downin days!

To my very great regret, the best licorice also raises blood pressure significantly. My wife tells
me this the day I got two pounds of the very best off the Internet. Had to give it away...

(and, no, I'm talking about Twizzlers.)

Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

Curtis L. Russell wrote:
> On 05 Mar 2004 02:54:05 GMT, [email protected] (Denver C. Fox) wrote:
>
> >I could not figure out why my blood pressure was so high after being controlled. I read the
> >study, stopped the Ibu, and it cam downin days!
>
> To my very great regret, the best licorice also raises blood pressure significantly. My wife tells
> me this the day I got two pounds of the very best off the Internet. Had to give it away...
>
> (and, no, I'm talking about Twizzlers.)
>
> Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

Where did you get your licorice? I *love* licorice, and my BP is quite low...