Bicycle trainers - any reviews or advice?

javer24601

Sep 16, 2006
After 20 years on my old road bicycle, I finally "upgraded" to a new hybrid. It is a Specialized Crossroads Elite (I moved from NYC to an area where there are many dirt trails) and love my new acquisition.

As the weather starts to turn cold I am contemplating buying a trainer. The bike shop I go to is recommending the CycleOps brand (with its quick release mechanisms). I've seen many in the stores and catalogs, including Performance Bicycle's Travel Trac line.

Does anyone have any comments or recommendations on what I should look for? Is the quick release mechanism a major difference? Are the various brands very different in quality?

Thank you in advance...

I've had my original Kurt Kinetic for over 5 years and it never leaked. I would log over 1200 miles each winter and it's always performed well.

We started carrying them because of our personal experiences and great reviews. I'd look around for reviews, stop at a bike shop and try a few.

Does it feel realistic?
Is it noisy?
What kind of resistance does it use (wind, magnetic, liquid, etc)?
Is it stable?

Here's our site: https://www.usasportstraining.com

I have the Real Axiom trainer from Performance that hooks via USB to a computer. I love it. It came with 2 video courses, and the trainer adjusts (increase or decreases resistance) automotically based on the actual course. It records, heart rate, RPMs, speed and cadence. So far so good...

Jay

javer24601 said:
After 20 years on my old road bicycle, I finally "upgraded" to a new hybrid. It is a Specialized Crossroads Elite (I moved from NYC to an area where there are many dirt trails) and love my new acquisition.

As the weather starts to turn cold I am contemplating buying a trainer. The bike shop I go to is recommending the CycleOps brand (with its quick release mechanisms). I've seen many in the stores and catalogs, including Performance Bicycle's Travel Trac line.

Does anyone have any comments or recommendations on what I should look for? Is the quick release mechanism a major difference? Are the various brands very different in quality?

Thank you in advance...

I have a Specialized Crossroads Elite and both a Cycleops Fluid2 and a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. My wife has used the Cycleops one hour per day, five days per week for two years. I used the Cycleops occassionally before we bought the Kinetic, I have used the Kinetic one hour per day three to four days per week for one winter (and last night for the first time since spring). Both are very good. Theoretically, the Cycleops could leak, while the Kinetic should not, but both have a lifetime warranty.

I like the release mechanism better on the Cycleops, but it is really a non-issue for me. I usually ride my Specialized Roubaix Elite on the road and I only use the Crossroads on the trainer. I do ride the Crossroads on trails, and I agree that it is a good bike for that purpose, but most of my riding is on the road, and for that I much prefer the Roubaix.

The power curves for both trainers are slightly different. At speeds below 12.75 mph, the Kinetic has more resistance. The two curves cross over at about 12.75 mph, and above that speed, the Cycleops has more resistance. The difference, though, is not that great. To achieve 250 watts, you would have to go 19.75 MPH on the Kinetic, but only 17.25 mph on the Cycleops.

My son-in-law has the Travel Trac. I have found that it is more difficult to mount and dismount bikes (especially if you are mounting different bikes on the same trainer) than either the Cycleops or the Kinetic. Also, the power curve is much flatter for the Travel Trac. To achieve 250 watts on the Travel Trac, you must go 23.5 mph. Functionally, though, it works fine.

Hi. I have used a cycle Opps for 4 years now and have put countless hours on it. The fluid 2. Quiet and the pedal feel is excellent. A bit pricey, but well worth it.

I use a Velodyne which is, at times, connected to a computer where I ride the "road" viewed via a 26 inch LED screen. I also watch road races while following exercise prescriptions from Carmichael Training Systems.

The Velodyne is more than 20 years old and is as reliable as the day I first purchased it. It allows you to place your bike into it and, in its use, is as steady as a rock for sprints while standing, and can manage over 1200 watts resistance if you need it. It has a LCD screen and various programs which, along with testing VO2 max, etc. will simulate any kind of bicycle race with immense precision, from Time Trialing, to road races (with and without opponents varying in ability up to the professional level). It has a heart rate monitor, wattage readout, cadence, distance, calories...everything you'll ever want, all recorded (if you hook it up to your computer) every second or every few minutes, however you wish.

With its 20 lb. flywheel it absolutely simulates the feel of the road.

In short, it's probably at least tied for the best trainer money can buy.

The poorly designed website for more info is at: http://www.velodynesports.com/

Just place your cursor over the edges of the center blue rectangle for more info.

Rickf, I also have the Cycleops and like it a lot. Out of curiousity, could you tell me the watts at the different speeds. I have really never known my wattage, so it would be nice to know. :D

As for the OP, I would recommend the Cycleops. It's got good resistance, and does pretty well at simulating the resistance of a climb. I rode the Performance Travel Trac trainers for years, and in my opinion, they don't have enough resistance. To get a high wattage, you have to spin the tires pretty fast. And after training on one for a while, it can be a little shocking because the resistance you get out on the roads is much higher.

The Velodyne would be really nice. :) (drool)