2 full weeks without a bicycle.. suggestions?

Laflore

Jun 20, 2003
I will be taking a 2 week vacation in Ireland & Scotland next month. Last time we went, I was able to rent a road bike (and loved it!). Unfortunately, the wife says no go on that this time. :(

Any suggestions on alternate activities to minimize fitness loss? I'm definitely going to do a huge training block leading up to the day we leave. Once there, I'm hoping to do a lot of hiking in the hills. Any other ideas? Would running help or be counter productive?

My fitness is really coming along and I hate the idea of being set back a month. Thanks for any suggestions!

Laflore said:
I will be taking a 2 week vacation in Ireland & Scotland next month. Last time we went, I was able to rent a road bike (and loved it!). Unfortunately, the wife says no go on that this time. :(

Why would your wife veto something that is obviously so important to you? There is a bigger question here than concerns how to get exercise off the bike. I suggest a serious discussion of the whole issue. You both may need to see a counselor. If she won't go, go by yourself.

Ergoman said:
...SNIP... There is a bigger question here than concerns how to get exercise off the bike. I suggest a serious discussion of the whole issue. You both may need to see a counselor. If she won't go, go by yourself.
LOL ain't a counselor on the planet that can cure "cycling widow vacation syndrome." Maybe a couple weeks off the bike will be more beneficial than you think and you KNOW it will be better in this case for your homelife. Have a blast and be THERE.

A Hotel with a complimentary fitness room that has a stationary bike would serve the purpose but riding outdoors in the most beautiful country in the world would be better.

I recently had a week off the bike and when I returned I was actually well rested and performed better...I still walked and lifted weights but no bike riding...good luck...

Ergoman said:
Why would your wife veto something that is obviously so important to you? There is a bigger question here than concerns how to get exercise off the bike. I suggest a serious discussion of the whole issue. You both may need to see a counselor. If she won't go, go by yourself.

LOL. She didn't "veto" anything. She's actually pretty tolerant as I'm sure most cyclists' spouses are (come on, let's be honest :D ).

We just talked about it and I could tell that if I spent a big chunk of time out riding, it would diminish her enjoyment. I don't want to do that. Also, we have a small child this time around.

Actually, I'm thinking carrying my son around for 2 weeks should be great exercise!

:)

Laflore said:
I will be taking a 2 week vacation.....
Any suggestions on alternate activities to minimize fitness loss? ....... Any other ideas? .......... Thanks for any suggestions!
Take some Cycling Magazines with you when you go to the Bathroom. :D

Give her a credit card for shopping and she will forget all about you and cycling.

Laflore said:
LOL. She didn't "veto" anything. She's actually pretty tolerant as I'm sure most cyclists' spouses are (come on, let's be honest :D ).

We just talked about it and I could tell that if I spent a big chunk of time out riding, it would diminish her enjoyment. I don't want to do that. Also, we have a small child this time around.

Actually, I'm thinking carrying my son around for 2 weeks should be great exercise!

:)
Hiking with a wife and kid on your back around Ireland and Scotland sounds like a perfect vacation to me. The fact that you're even asking the question indicates you're pretty obsessive about your training, right? If you've been training hard, two weeks off may be just the recovery break you need.

Besides, unless you're a pro, why worry about losing cycling fitness anyway? You can ride/race your bike the rest of your life, but your kid isn't going to be young enough to carry around for long. My $.02: forget the bike and enjoy your family trip.