Bicycling Mag -- bad timing

On 20 Jan 2004 21:03:48 GMT, [email protected] (TopCounsel) wrote:
>I saw that on the mag rack at my REI here in SoCal where the attacks happened. I made a comment to
>the REI cashier when I checked out, and his remark was that the MTB'er attacks "weren't national
>news..." I wonder if that is true? Was this just a local story?

Nope, was on [tv? radio? I don't remember] news here in Rhode Island. I wasn't really paying
attention at the time.
--
Rick Onanian

I guess it's all in how you define "local."

Made the papers here in Florida.

Bill, riding bent in Florida (hence the screen name) To e-mail, remove undies

"TopCounsel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I perused the Jan/Feb issues of Bicycling Magazine at the bookstore the other day. Couldn't
> >believe the ad on the back cover. It's a Honda ad showing a man in a sleeping bag under the stars
> >outside of his Honda CRV. He's got a mountain line snuggled up against him.
> >
> >I'd bet that ad won't be seen ever again.
>
> I saw that on the mag rack at my REI here in SoCal where the attacks
happened.
> I made a comment to the REI cashier when I checked out, and his remark was
that
> the MTB'er attacks "weren't national news..." I wonder if that is true?
Was
> this just a local story?

It wasn't just a local story, I saw it all the way over *here* ... however, that was just because
being attacked by a mountain lion is a relatively rare event. I wonder how many people were killed
in cycling or driving accidents the day the new media exploited that story?

I can understand being considerate of peoples feelings, but you cant be hypersensitive either. If
all potentially offensive advertisements were censored there would simply be no advertisements. Not
an unpleasant thought mind you ... but if you carried that one step further, there would be no arts
either. Imagine Shakespeare without tragedy? Oh no, can't do Romeo and Juliet in high school because
it promotes teen suicide.

C.Q.C.

"Collin O'Neill" <[email protected]> wrote

<snip>
> In all seriousness, I think it's hugely unrealistic to have people carry guns.

People already do. They have been for centuries. I was talking about allowing the limited hunting of
mountain lions ... basically lifting the recent ban.

>Hunters kill each other in hunting accidents and they're supposed to be relatively well trained
>with weapons.

That happens rarely. It happens, but people get hit by lightning too. From all I've seen, the number
of hunting accidents is relatively low compared to accidents in other activities (driving, climbing
stairs etc.). It just doesn't happen that much, and there are *a lot* of people out there hunting.

>I really don't like to be around people in the wilderness when they have guns and I don't. Frankly,
>I feel like I have to kill them before they kill me!

I'm not trying to be a wise guy ... but you'ld probably mess your pants if you knew how many
people carry guns *in thier cars*. It would definitely make you think twice before flipping a
driver the bird.

>What if deer popluations increased, and fatalities due to auto-deer collisions in creased by more
>than two people per year?

The deer population is kept in check by natural predation, including hunting by humans. The limited
number of mountain lion hunting licenses did not have an adverse effect on the population when it
was legal in California just a few years ago.

>Or, what if two people died due to "protection" accidents but there were no fatalities due to
>mountain lion attacks (which usually there aren't). Would the sum gain be considered "positive?"
>However, we simply would not hear of those deaths on national news. No
one
> would tabulate it and say "Hey, we lost more people due to a change in policy than we saved!"

OKay ... I don't have mountain lions where I live, but I do have coyotes. I live in a very liberal
state, but I have a hunting camp in another state where hunting is a popular activity. In my home
state coyotes will walk right up to little children and adults with no fear whatsoever. It's become
a serious problem. Where I hunt however, coyotes are hunted regularly. They have a healthy fear of
humans. Human / coyote confrontations do not happen.

I doubt there would be an escalation of gun accidents if mountain lion hunting was reinstated. Why
would it be any different than it was a few years ago?

C.Q.C.

Q. wrote:

> The limited number of mountain lion hunting licenses did not have an adverse effect on the
> population when it was legal in California just a few years ago.

Mountain lions have not been hunted legally in CA since 1971. That's *thirty three* years ago,
not "a few."

http://california.sierraclub.org/mountain-lion/history.html

This also predates modern wildlife management programs, so there's no telling how the populations
were affected before -- except that now there are none in places where there once were many.

Matt O.

"S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > In this topsy turvy world people being killed by mountain lions is somehow less distasteful than
> > people killing mountain lions.
> >
> > I'd love to see hikers and mountain bikers start carrying guns, and
> shooting
> > mountain lions who threaten them. Let's face it, we're talking about a million years of
> > evolutionary instinct working in our favor. We are not food, we're the top of the food chain.
>
> What's topsy turvy is the complete destruction of the habitat of largest mammals in the food chain
> and the human race's apparent disregard for such things. I'm in no way a green nut, I'm not Mike
> Vandeman. But come on! There are far more human beings on this planet than any other mammal
bigger
> than your forearm. Quite frankly, California can stand to lose a lot of human beings before they
> can stand to eliminate any more species of
mammals
> from their state.

I agree. Further, from my understanding of this incident and mountain lions in general is that they
are ambush hunters. They lie in wait in cover along a likely path and ambush their prey. Now I
don't care if one is a combined Army Ranger, Israeli Special forces, Navy SEAL Russian Spetnaz and
British SAS, in this situation you are not going to beat the reflexes of the cat to draw your gun
even if you were on foot let alone on a bike.

The best advice is to not act like prey. That would a little difficult on a bike. In general to be
in a large group, to not try to flee if facing one, stand your ground, make lots of noise. Someone
else humourously suggested a dustbuster. That probably would work.

Although music is a controversial issue WRT cycling it might be a useful strategy to blast
Wagner's Valkyries, a la Apocalypse Now.

Or more seriously; accept that when entering wildlife areas you might want exercise caution since
wildlife areas contain _wildlife_. Also accept that life isn't risk-free. There can be regrettable
incidents like this without the need to exterminate a species or stop the risky activity.

Just my 0.02 euros.

--
'Just because you're wearing a tie Doesn't mean you're bloody important'

- chumbawumba

"loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > In this topsy turvy world people being killed by mountain lions is somehow less distasteful
> > > than people killing mountain lions.
> > >
> > > I'd love to see hikers and mountain bikers start carrying guns, and
> > shooting
> > > mountain lions who threaten them. Let's face it, we're talking about
> > > million years of evolutionary instinct working in our favor. We are
not
> > > food, we're the top of the food chain.
> >
> > What's topsy turvy is the complete destruction of the habitat of largest mammals in the food
> > chain and the human race's apparent disregard for
such
> > things. I'm in no way a green nut, I'm not Mike Vandeman. But come on! There are far more human
> > beings on this planet than any other mammal
> bigger
> > than your forearm. Quite frankly, California can stand to lose a lot of human beings before they
> > can stand to eliminate any more species of
> mammals
> > from their state.
>
> I agree. Further, from my understanding of this incident and mountain
lions
> in general is that they are ambush hunters. They lie in wait in cover
along
> a likely path and ambush their prey. Now I don't care if one is a combined Army Ranger, Israeli
> Special forces, Navy SEAL Russian Spetnaz and British SAS, in this situation you are not going to
> beat the reflexes of the cat
> draw your gun even if you were on foot let alone on a bike.
>
> The best advice is to not act like prey. That would a little difficult on
> bike. In general to be in a large group, to not try to flee if facing one, stand your ground, make
> lots of noise. Someone else humourously suggested
> dustbuster. That probably would work.

So, on the one hand mountain lions are super bad ass killers (I agree) and there ain't a darn thing
anyone can do to be saved even if they're Rambo on acid ... on the other hand you're supposed to
stand your ground and make a lot of noise? If you have time to pull out a dustbuster, you have time
to draw a gun.

In all fairness though ... I don't see why pepper spray wouldn't be almost as effective as a gun, if
faced with a standoff situation. They do have a highly evolved sense of smell and that can be
exploited. Yes, many times I'm sure the victim couldn't react quickly enough to be saved and in that
case nothing would have mattered ... it's the times when you have a few precious moments to react is
where a weapon would be desirable. I'm sorry, but given a choice of easily carried devices in that
situation I would want a firearm. That's just me though. I have no problem with people choosing to
respect nature by being snack food. It's a personal choice.

What I haven't seen mentioned yet, is something people in India do. There, the tigers don't like to
attack a person face to face ... so people in their territory wear masks on the back of their heads.
The behavior of a mountain lion might be similar enough to a tiger so that tactic might work.

Besides, I'd love to see a bunch of mountain bikers riding around like that.

C.Q.C.

"Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
[...]
> > I agree. Further, from my understanding of this incident and mountain
> lions
> > in general is that they are ambush hunters. They lie in wait in cover
> along
> > a likely path and ambush their prey. Now I don't care if one is a
combined
> > Army Ranger, Israeli Special forces, Navy SEAL Russian Spetnaz and
British
> > SAS, in this situation you are not going to beat the reflexes of the cat
> > draw your gun even if you were on foot let alone on a bike.
> >
> > The best advice is to not act like prey. That would a little difficult
on
> > bike. In general to be in a large group, to not try to flee if facing
one,
> > stand your ground, make lots of noise. Someone else humourously
suggested
> > dustbuster. That probably would work.
>
> So, on the one hand mountain lions are super bad ass killers (I agree) and there ain't a darn
> thing anyone can do to be saved even if they're Rambo
on
> acid ... on the other hand you're supposed to stand your ground and make a lot of noise? If you
> have time to pull out a dustbuster, you have time to draw a gun.

I did not mean to say that a dustbuster would be a viable counter; merely that the sound might
probably startle the cat enough to cause it to abandon its' stalk. I was thinking of producing a
lot of discordant noise [music] continuously. And, no, that isn't a serious, practical
suggestion either, just something that would probably be more effective than a firearm at
preventing the attack.

Also I did not mean to imply that those other tactics are necessarily feasible while cycling,
merely that they would probably work in general to discourage the cat. As I said the act cycling
makes it difficult and makes the cyclist seem more like prey hurtling along a trail. Probably the
most reasonable, practical action to take is to be a part of a large group.

Actually, if the media reports are accurate; the victim had separated some small distance from the
group - just like oh, say, a straggler antelope that gets too far from the herd - which is probably
how the cat saw it: an ideal target.

The other suggestions might work for another of the group to scare the cat away once it has
attacked. Small comfort for the attackee, I admit.

> In all fairness though ... I don't see why pepper spray wouldn't be almost as effective as a gun,
> if faced with a standoff situation. They do have a highly evolved sense of smell and that can be
> exploited. Yes, many times I'm sure the victim couldn't react quickly enough to be saved and in
> that case nothing would have mattered ... it's the times when you have a few precious moments to
> react is where a weapon would be desirable. I'm
sorry,
> but given a choice of easily carried devices in that situation I would
want
> a firearm. That's just me though. I have no problem with people choosing to respect nature by
> being snack food. It's a personal choice.
>
> What I haven't seen mentioned yet, is something people in India do.
There,
> the tigers don't like to attack a person face to face

That's part of 'not fleeing' and 'standing your ground'.

Once the the cat has attacked though, I'd think you'd be better off using what evolution gave you
and get primeval on its ass: Just beat on it like the hairless apes we are. I can't image in the
midst of the attack one having the ability nor presence of mind to draw any weapon. Having a weapon
that easily at hand doesn't seem realistic while cycling, especially off-road.

--
'Just because you're wearing a tie Doesn't mean you're bloody important'

- chumbawumba

>Then with less space to move and their big, evil eyes in the sights of my umpteen-pound 30-06 I
>carry for protection everywhere I go, I can finish 'em all off for good.

An M1 Garand weighs 12 pounds fully loaded, not umpteen pounds.

>Let's see... Rifle, handgun (gotta be a Colt 45 or it won't have stopping power),

A .45 ACP doesn't exactly have the stopping power you're talking about. In fact you are smoking out
your butt if you've never fired these weapons, the .30-06 is a rifle cartridge that will kill at
1000 meters and the .45 is a pistol load that at best will incapacitate at close range (within
25 meters).

Likely not even that. Good luck if you can hit anything in combat at 5 meters with a .45, that's 16
feet or so.

Extreme pistol range.

But anyway we're pacifistic cyclists.

the Texas Elvis"------------------

"Q." <LostVideos-AT-hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "psycholist" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I perused the Jan/Feb issues of Bicycling Magazine at the bookstore the other day. Couldn't
> > believe the ad on the back cover. It's a Honda ad showing a man in a sleeping bag under the
> > stars outside of his Honda
CRV.
> > He's got a mountain line snuggled up against him.
> >
> > I'd bet that ad won't be seen ever again.
>
> I think most people know that wild animals are inherently dangerous ... I don't see a problem with
> ads like that unless it's a deliberate attempt at capitalizing on a tragedy. Even then it would
> simply be in bad taste.
>
> Being too PC has it's own problems though. Mountain lions used to be
hunted
> in California and when they were there was a healthy dose of fear
instilled
> into them. They knew humans were dangerous and should be avoided.
However,
> even though the limited hunting of mountain lions was never a problem, too many people ... most of
> whom lived in a city and didn't know much about wildlife beyond what they've seen in Disney movies
> ... fell for the animal "rights" propaganda and outlawed mountain lion hunting. Now we're seeing
> the result. In this topsy turvy world people being killed by mountain
lions
> is somehow less distasteful than people killing mountain lions.
>
> I'd love to see hikers and mountain bikers start carrying guns, and
shooting
> mountain lions who threaten them. Let's face it, we're talking about a million years of
> evolutionary instinct working in our favor. We are not food, we're the top of the food chain.
>
> C.Q.C.

I remember reading somewhere that trappers would sometimes kill two in one day in the same trap. The
second lion would be caught in the trap covered in the blood of the first. If this is true, I doubt
hunters would make them cautious of us. I'm far more concerned about rednecks in pick-up trucks
targeting lone cyclists.

"Frank Knox" <[email protected]> wrote

> I remember reading somewhere that trappers would sometimes kill two in one day in the same trap.
> The second lion would be caught in the trap covered in the blood of the first. If this is true, I
> doubt hunters would make
them
> cautious of us.

There is a difference though in what you're saying. Death is a natural and accepted thing for
animals. I've seen a deer shot in the middle of a herd and the other deer didn't care. however,
that's much different than the natural fear instilled by being hunted. "Something died here" does
not nessesairily trigger the same response as "there are some hairless apes, they're dangerous".

> I'm far more concerned about rednecks in pick-up trucks targeting lone cyclists.

I drive a pickup. In my neck of the woods though, the drivers that are real jerks tend to be suit
and tie guys in BMW's more often then not ... and it's been my experience that the pickup driving
rednecks are usually a very mellow lot.

C.Q.C.

Originally posted by Q.

... however, that was just because
being attacked by a mountain lion is a relatively rare event....

C.Q.C. [/B]

Interesting... so you suggest hunting of mountain lions should be reinstated, and that everyone can/should carry a firearm 'just in case' but in reality incidents such as these are a "rare event". Which one is it?

"ftf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Q. wrote:
> > ... however, that was just because being attacked by a mountain lion
is
> > a relatively rare event....
> > C.Q.C.
>
> Interesting... so you suggest hunting of mountain lions should be reinstated, and that everyone
> can/should carry a firearm 'just in case' but in reality incidents such as these are a "rare
> event". Which one is it?

Yes, interesting ... it's called "taking a quote out of context".

this is the context:

"It wasn't just a local story, I saw it all the way over *here* ... however, that was just because
being attacked by a mountain lion is a relatively rare event. I wonder how many people were killed
in cycling or driving accidents the day the new media exploited that story?"

I was speaking about the attack being reported on the national news. It's a relatively rare event.
Relative to all the people who die in this world every day in boring ways. When was the last time
the death of a cyclist was reported on the national news? It's sucks, but being run over by a car is
far too common for it to be a national new story ... unless someone famous was involved.

And yes, it's a relatively rare event ... the chance of being attacked in the middle of New York
City is eventually nil. The chances of being attacked increase dramatically though, when you
deliberately go into wild areas where large predators live. I've seen a pack of coyotes take down a
doe right in front of me ... I was very glad to be in an area where coyotes were hunted and afraid
if humans, and just as glad to be carrying a 30/30 Winchester. This happened about one hour north of
Albany NY.

C.Q.C.