Bike man

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

I have heard there used to be a man in Melbourne somewhere who fixes up bicycles and gives them away
to the needy. Does he still exist? I have some old bikes that need work, but I can't be bothered
doing them up myself. Is there a worthy group that I could donate them to?

--
Stephen Oakes

Sounds like a bloke who used to repair bikes for kids for Christmas. Think he was in Moorabbin or the southern suburbs somewhere.

Depends where you are, the BrunsBUG bike shed at CERES in East Brunswick accepts bike donations. Last year a group called "Wheels of Fortune" were accepting bike donations.

I found this in an old email, but alas, have no contact details;

'......The Wheels of Fortune program will be a one-day collection of unused, unwanted and unneeded bikes, sourced from the Melbourne community. On the day, bikes will be set up for transportation and stored until they are loaded into shipping containers...."

Don't know whether this group are still operating. Has anyone any info?

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:41:12 GMT, "Stephen Oakes"

>I have heard there used to be a man in Melbourne somewhere who fixes up bicycles and gives them
>away to the needy. Does he still exist? I have some old bikes that need work, but I can't be
>bothered doing them up myself. Is there a worthy group that I could donate them to?

If you can't find him, try dropping them off at CERES in East Brunswick, there's an operation that
recycles old bicycles and sells them dirt cheap..

PC

Originally posted by Pc
If you can't find him, try dropping them off at CERES in East Brunswick, there's an operation that
recycles old bicycles and sells them dirt cheap..
PC

Hmm, you posting from aus.bike or CF? If CF, read above, think there's an echo in here.

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:32:36 GMT, [email protected] (PC) wrote:

> I have heard there used to be a man in Melbourne somewhere who fixes up
> >bicycles and gives them away to the needy. Does he still exist? I have some old bikes that
> >need work, but I can't be bothered doing them up myself. Is there a worthy group that I could
> >donate them to?
>
> If you can't find him, try dropping them off at CERES in East Brunswick, there's an operation
> that recycles old bicycles and sells them dirt cheap..

IIRC the bloke you're talking about is in the Cranbourne area and he doesn't sell them, he gives
them away in the city at Christmas time to the kids.

I'm pretty sure if you email 3AW, possibally Neil Mitchell or Darren James, One of them would
probably be able to point you in the right direction Steve....

I had a good go with google but didn't get any hits...

--

Cheers Red

"Red" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:32:36 GMT, [email protected] (PC) wrote:
>
> > I have heard there used to be a man in Melbourne somewhere who fixes
up
> > >bicycles and gives them away to the needy. Does he still exist? I
have
> > >some old bikes that need work, but I can't be bothered doing them up
myself.
> > >Is there a worthy group that I could donate them to?
> >
> > If you can't find him, try dropping them off at CERES in East Brunswick, there's an operation
> > that recycles old bicycles and sells them dirt cheap..
>
> IIRC the bloke you're talking about is in the Cranbourne area and he
doesn't
> sell them, he gives them away in the city at Christmas time to the kids.
>
Last I heard, the Cranbourne council asked him to clean up the area and somebody complained about
ferals in the area. His place was a stones throw from the skatepark which is two stones throw
from the library. He may have got out of it (info from daughters friend who is the nephew of the
bloke) Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.