Bike man

Stephen Oakes

Guest
I have heard there used to be a man in Melbourne somewhere who fixes up
bicycles and gives them away to the needy. Does he still exist? I have
some old bikes that need work, but I can't be bothered doing them up myself.
Is there a worthy group that I could donate them to?

--
Stephen Oakes

Sounds like a bloke who used to repair bikes for kids for Christmas.
Think he was in Moorabbin or the southern suburbs somewhere.

Depends where you are, the BrunsBUG bike shed at CERES in East Brunswick
accepts bike donations. Last year a group called "Wheels of Fortune"
were accepting bike donations.

I found this in an old email, but alas, have no contact details;

'......The Wheels of Fortune program will be a one-day collection of
unused, unwanted and unneeded bikes, sourced from the Melbourne
community. On the day, bikes will be set up for transportation and
stored until they are loaded into shipping containers...."

Don't know whether this group are still operating. Has anyone any info?

--

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 05:41:12 GMT, "Stephen Oakes"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I have heard there used to be a man in Melbourne somewhere who fixes up
>bicycles and gives them away to the needy. Does he still exist? I have
>some old bikes that need work, but I can't be bothered doing them up myself.
>Is there a worthy group that I could donate them to?

If you can't find him, try dropping them off at CERES in East
Brunswick, there's an operation that recycles old bicycles and sells
them dirt cheap..

PC

Pc wrote:
> If you can't find him, try dropping them off at CERES in East Brunswick,
> there's an operation that recycles old bicycles and sells them dirt
> cheap.. PC

Hmm, you posting from aus.bike or CF? If CF, read above, think there'
an echo in here

-

•In article <[email protected]>, PC wrote:
>•"Stephen Oakes" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> I have heard there used to be a man in Melbourne somewhere who fixes up
>> bicycles and gives them away to the needy. Does he still exist? I have
>> some old bikes that need work, but I can't be bothered doing them up myself.
>> Is there a worthy group that I could donate them to?

> If you can't find him, try dropping them off at CERES in East
> Brunswick, there's an operation that recycles old bicycles and sells
> them dirt cheap..
>
> PC

They sell component at a good price too. I picked up a not to bashed
around set of dia-compe brakes w' hoods for 50 cents last tuesday for
my pub bike

--
| Joel Mayes | /~\ ASCII Ribbon campaign
| Accordionist | \_/ stop HTML mail and news
| Musician | / \
| Music Teacher |

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:32:36 GMT, [email protected] (PC) wrote:

> I have heard there used to be a man in Melbourne somewhere who fixes up
> >bicycles and gives them away to the needy. Does he still exist? I have
> >some old bikes that need work, but I can't be bothered doing them up myself.
> >Is there a worthy group that I could donate them to?

> If you can't find him, try dropping them off at CERES in East
> Brunswick, there's an operation that recycles old bicycles and sells
> them dirt cheap..

IIRC the bloke you're talking about is in the Cranbourne area and he doesn't
sell them, he gives them away in the city at Christmas time to the kids.

I'm pretty sure if you email 3AW, possibally Neil Mitchell or Darren James, One
of them would probably be able to point you in the right direction Steve....

I had a good go with google but didn't get any hits...

--

Cheers
Red

"Red" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:32:36 GMT, [email protected] (PC) wrote:
>
> > I have heard there used to be a man in Melbourne somewhere who fixes

up
> > >bicycles and gives them away to the needy. Does he still exist? I

have
> > >some old bikes that need work, but I can't be bothered doing them up

myself.
> > >Is there a worthy group that I could donate them to?

> > If you can't find him, try dropping them off at CERES in East
> > Brunswick, there's an operation that recycles old bicycles and sells
> > them dirt cheap..

> IIRC the bloke you're talking about is in the Cranbourne area and he

doesn't
> sell them, he gives them away in the city at Christmas time to the kids.

Last I heard, the Cranbourne council asked him to clean up the area and
somebody complained about ferals in the area. His place was a stones throw
from the skatepark which is two stones throw from the library. He may have
got out of it (info from daughters friend who is the nephew of the bloke)
Ron