Bike Shops in Newcastle/Maitland Area

mcgr

Aug 11, 2007
Can anyone recomend any good bike shops in Maitland/Newcastle area that offer good service? I am buying a new road bike and know practically nothing about road bikes so I need someone good who can find the right size bike for me.

Thanks in advance

mcgr said:
Can anyone recomend any good bike shops in Maitland/Newcastle area that offer good service? I am buying a new road bike and know practically nothing about road bikes so I need someone good who can find the right size bike for me.

Thanks in advance
I'm not a Newcastle resident (but will be next year), but do visit frequently so have some idea.

A few options:

Hadley's Cycles (Lambton) - Big store that carries almost everything (kids/dept store bikes to high end road/MTB/DH bikes). Decent service for a store that size. Think they may have a Maitland store as well.

Two Wheel Industries (Hunter Street): More geared towards the road racing scene. Marek (the owner) is a very knowledgable and helpful.

Avanti Plus (Kotara) - used to be on Darby street, but not sure how these guys are for road, but they do seem geared towards the urban/FR/DH scene. Go there for Avanti/Specialized - and they do have the high end bikes as well as entry level gear.

There are a few other stores, but I've never been in them so can't recommend them.

n

nerdag said:
I'm not a Newcastle resident (but will be next year), but do visit frequently so have some idea.

A few options:

Hadley's Cycles (Lambton) - Big store that carries almost everything (kids/dept store bikes to high end road/MTB/DH bikes). Decent service for a store that size. Think they may have a Maitland store as well.

Two Wheel Industries (Hunter Street): More geared towards the road racing scene. Marek (the owner) is a very knowledgable and helpful.

Avanti Plus (Kotara) - used to be on Darby street, but not sure how these guys are for road, but they do seem geared towards the urban/FR/DH scene. Go there for Avanti/Specialized - and they do have the high end bikes as well as entry level gear.

There are a few other stores, but I've never been in them so can't recommend them.

n
Thanks for your help, my budget will be between $700 and $800, if I were to visit one where would be the best place?

Thanks

mcgr said:
Thanks for your help, my budget will be between $700 and $800, if I were to visit one where would be the best place?

Thanks
For that budget, your best bet will be Hadley's. Not sure what you may be able to get for that price, but a basic entry level bike should be about that.

But give the other guys a go too - you never know what sort of deal you'll be able to find.

n

For $800, you maybe able to get an 07 Giant OCR3 -if you can find remaining stock.

Or you can call Cell Bikes in Stanmore, Sydney. Their own brand of bikes are good value. www.cellbikes.com.au

Know what you are buying before you buy a cell bike as costs are cut in areas such as hubs, chains and cassettes which are high wear areas.