Bike trainers

rhodriwales

Sep 21, 2004
Hi guys,

im after a bit of advice im living in the uk and after a good training to stick inside so i can train more often i have a mountainbike

im not looking to spend hundread just something i can use to loose a bit of weight and get into shape

thanks guys

I use a Kurt Kinetic, which works well. I basically increase resistance by shifting the bike.

However, in case you haven't considered it, most trainers work best with smooth tires... I only mention this since you wrote that you will be using it with a mountain bike.

One major difference from what I have read is the amount of noise generated by the cheaper trainers.

I'm pretty new to using an indoor trainer so I started off with a Tacx magnetic trainer pretty cheap 350$aud which is a basic model comes with remote it's sturdy and quiet and I love it!!
I was a bit sceptical about using a trainer to increase fitness but used correctly, I have found it to be ace to focus on area's of my cycling i wanted to improve or just to get in the hours when it rains/dark etc, I crank the ipod up, I have a cadence and hrm to ensure I am meeting the goals i set for myself and go for it, I think as long as you have some way of monitoring your output so you dont get bored with it and give up you will be fine. I will suggest you you get a stand to raise the front wheel though and they make a towel to catch your sweat, chances are if your doing it right you will need it :) You might find a trainer will eat your rear tyre though, so maybe use a cheap rim/tyre rather than your good knobly...

Riding a trainer is what you do when the only thing left to do is commit suicide. It's much better to get rained on and wet or get cold. When you think conditions are too bad to ride, just think of Andy Hampsten in 1988, climbing the Gavia:

PCY112.hamp.opener_prev.jpg

gavia-andy.jpg

Get a Kurt Kinetic trainer as a previous poster has already said.

And re that picture of Andy riding in the snow, that's a mere sample of what it's like in the winter where I live.

Yojimbo_ said:
Get a Kurt Kinetic trainer as a previous poster has already said.

And re that picture of Andy riding in the snow, that's a mere sample of what it's like in the winter where I live.
Then you should ski in the winter. My winter conditions will easily trump yours, but it's ski season, not bicycle season, from mid-October to the end of April.

Indoor trainers are painfully boring. The only time I've ever enjoyed it is when I rented the Ricky Gervais series "Extras" on DVD and watched two episodes each time while I was riding. It was entertaining enough to dull the boredom.

I would rather go for a ski at -25F in a howling blizzard than ride the trainer. But I personally could care less about "bicycle specific" training. To me, any physical activity is strictly for enjoyment and general health, not specific training or competition goals. So, YMMV of course!

The Kurt Kinetic is great, but goes for around $325 (US dollars). If you're just looking for general fitness, a magnetic trainer is fine (Blackburn or similar), and cheaper. Avoid the wind-based trainers (with the metal fins on the resistance unit) simply because they are loud.

And get a street-click tire for the back. A knobby mountain tire won't work well, and you'll chew the tire up in a week.

If mr. Hampstein needs to ride in the dark he's still on a closed course surrounded by spectators and support vehicles, not people speeding home from work.

garage sale GT said:
If mr. Hampstein needs to ride in the dark he's still on a closed course surrounded by spectators and support vehicles, not people speeding home from work.

That's lights were invented. Plenty of people train at night, on the road.