BikesDirect safe to buy from?

>s. Actually, if I'd seen that "Motobecane" crosser for $500 that
>they now are offering--I'd have bought it. It's Tiagra with Sora
>shifters and a 8spd cluster.

They have the Motobecane cross bike with Ultegra
components now

On Oct 25, 10:06 am, [email protected] wrote:
> >Actually, if I'd seen that "Motobecane" crosser for $500 that
> >they now are offering--I'd have bought it

> That's what I'm thinking of buying form Bikes
> Direct.... the Motebecane cross bike
>
> Any opinions on it?

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Add some fenders and ya got the perfect
fall/winter do it all bike. 8spd rear cluster is fine--stop worrying
about winter grime and replace it and chain as needed, as 8spd stuff
is cheeep.

As I mentioned before, I'd repack the hubs and tension/destress those
wheels before it went out the front door. Those are great rims if
tensioned right, the wheels should be care-free.

On Oct 25, 10:06 am, [email protected] wrote:
> >s. Actually, if I'd seen that "Motobecane" crosser for $500 that
> >they now are offering--I'd have bought it. It's Tiagra with Sora
> >shifters and a 8spd cluster.

> They have the Motobecane cross bike with Ultegra
> components now

105 ya mean? IMHO, it's not worth $300 more. Stupid wheels to boot.
The $500 Sora/Tiagra model can be dialed to be ultra reliable--and if
you want to change out a couple bits, you've got money to play with.
My next road/touring/cross bike will be an 8spd model if I can still
get one in the next year or two--because as I mentioned in the other
post, it's cheap to run, and more than enough gear ratios.

>On Oct 25, 10:06 am, [email protected] wrote:
>> >Actually, if I'd seen that "Motobecane" crosser for $500 that
>> >they now are offering--I'd have bought it

>> That's what I'm thinking of buying form Bikes
>> Direct.... the Motebecane cross bike
>>
>> Any opinions on it?

>I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Add some fenders and ya got the perfect
>fall/winter do it all bike. 8spd rear cluster is fine--stop worrying
>about winter grime and replace it and chain as needed, as 8spd stuff
>is cheeep.
>
>As I mentioned before, I'd repack the hubs and tension/destress those
>wheels before it went out the front door. Those are great rims if
>tensioned right, the wheels should be care-free.

OK

They have two versions tho..... more expensive one with
Ultegra components. Would you go for that one over the
Tiagra version?

On Oct 25, 10:34 am, [email protected] wrote:

> >> That's what I'm thinking of buying form Bikes
> >> Direct.... the Motebecane cross bike

> >> Any opinions on it?

> >I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Add some fenders and ya got the perfect
> >fall/winter do it all bike. 8spd rear cluster is fine--stop worrying
> >about winter grime and replace it and chain as needed, as 8spd stuff
> >is cheeep.

> >As I mentioned before, I'd repack the hubs and tension/destress those
> >wheels before it went out the front door. Those are great rims if
> >tensioned right, the wheels should be care-free.

> OK
>
> They have two versions tho..... more expensive one with
> Ultegra components. Would you go for that one over the
> Tiagra version?

Like I said in the other post *I* would go for the cheaper one. The
wheels, for one, promise to be more reliable if serviced initially--
and if you break a spoke, you can still ride home. Consumables are
cheap for 8spd--and it's also got a metal fork, which is nice if you
wipe out this winter or want to mount low riders for a weekend tour.

Tiagra and Sora shift great--as good as any slob that's not racing
needs. The only reason to even consider the more expensive model IMHO
is if you absolutely hate Sora shifters and the inability to drop to a
smaller cog in the drops. I'm not a big fan of brifters to begin with,
but having ridden both Sora and the higher up groups, I sorta like the
Sora the best. It's a matter of personal taste.

$300 buys you a little less weight, one more rear cog, proprietary
wheels, and increased consumables price. Yeah--the rear mech might be
a little more durable--but what's a replacement Tiagra mech these
days? $30-50?

Anyway the wheels on the more expensive bike really are the deal
breaker for me. Low spoke wheels with heavy rims are not an "upgrade"
in any way.

>Anyway the wheels on the more expensive bike really are the deal
>breaker for me. Low spoke wheels with heavy rims are not an "upgrade"
>in any way.

Ahh yes.... now I see....and agree!

I wouldn't want any proprietary wheels of any kind on a
bike.

Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention.

BTW... bike direct also sells the Surly Cross check
cross bike. Any thoughts on it vs the Motebcane model?

I'm strapped for cash big time right now...so price and
value per dollar is an issue

On Oct 25, 11:04 am, [email protected] wrote:
> >Anyway the wheels on the more expensive bike really are the deal
> >breaker for me. Low spoke wheels with heavy rims are not an "upgrade"
> >in any way.

> Ahh yes.... now I see....and agree!
>
> I wouldn't want any proprietary wheels of any kind on a
> bike.
>
> Thanks so much for bringing that to my attention.
>
> BTW... bike direct also sells the Surly Cross check
> cross bike. Any thoughts on it vs the Motebcane model?
>
> I'm strapped for cash big time right now...so price and
> value per dollar is an issue

The Surly Cross-Check and even their LHT touring bike are just about
perfectly specced with smart durable componentry. Can't go wrong with
either for the dough, especially if you hanker for a traditional steel
frame.

However, for near half the price, that Motobecane is a heck of a deal
and in some ways an even better value.

If the Surly "speaks" to you, save up and get it--it's got plenty
going for it, like the gorgeous crowned fork, ability to run fixed/
single, and the bar-end shifters for those of us that like such
nonsense.

However, if you're just looking for a bike to beat around on and
aren't hip to or don't care about the nuances, $500 for a do
everything bike is a deal.

I like the Surly, but if I was pressed for cash, I'd get the
Motobecane with no regrets.

>> > Who cares, really? Should we go to the various Trek Empire sites and
>> > nitpick the many forms of hype found there?

>> Sure, be my guest. Look over the Trek websites and find me something
>> similar.

> Hype comes in many flavors; Trek flings alot high tech BS instead of
> focusing on discounts. Is the illusion of a big discount any more
> deceptive than the implied promises of "going faster" due to lighter
> weight, increased stiffness, better aerodynamics, etc.? From this
> neutral perspective, the answer is "no".

"Neutral perspective." Really. Guess you win, I lose then!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Ozark Bicycle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> > Who cares, really? Should we go to the various Trek Empire sites and
>> > nitpick the many forms of hype found there?

>> Sure, be my guest. Look over the Trek websites and find me something
>> similar.

> Hype comes in many flavors; Trek flings alot high tech BS instead of
> focusing on discounts. Is the illusion of a big discount any more
> deceptive than the implied promises of "going faster" due to lighter
> weight, increased stiffness, better aerodynamics, etc.? From this
> neutral perspective, the answer is "no".

"Hank Wirtz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> > Not true. I know of at least one LBS in Seattle that sells
>> > Motobecanes.

> [snip]
>

>> Which shop in seattle is selling them? Inquiring minds want to know!
>>

> Alpine Hut.
>
> At least they were three years ago when I was thinking about getting a
> 500HT from Bikedirect (I wound up getting a GT Avalanche 1.0 instead)
> and I wanted to see what one looked like in real life. They only had
> the 700HT in stock, and that was more than I wanted to spend at the
> time. I just now checked their web site, and they're only listing
> Raleigh and Felt now, so maybe that changed. Sorry if my contradiction
> came off as jerk-like.

No problem; I could have come across a bit less stridently myself. More
often than not I can look back at one of my posts and think, y'know, I could
have gotten my point across a bit better without polarizing things.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

> Even upgrading the no name bottom bracket and better brakes etc still
> puts you well below what a comparable bike shop bike would cost.
> Cassette? Any shimano cassette will shift fine so level doesnt
> matter.

As I mentioned in my post, it's not the bottom bracket (they're cheap), it's
the cranks (they're *not* cheap). And yes, a Shimano cassette will shift
just fine. But you're beginning to describe a Frankenbike, not a "Shimano
Ultegra 30-speed road bike." My point is that the bikes, good deal that they
may be, are misrepresented as far as comparable values would be elsewhere.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Even upgrading the no name bottom bracket and better brakes etc still
> puts you well below what a comparable bike shop bike would cost.
> Cassette? Any shimano cassette will shift fine so level doesnt
> matter.
>
> On Oct 24, 10:23 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>>

>> Buying the bike from their shop would be great! Then you could test ride
>> fully assembled bike, test ride it, have them fit you and change the stem
>> height/reach (or both), handlebar width, alter gearing to make it more
>> appropriate if need be... all the usual stuff. Things difficult to do by
>> mail.
>>
>> Their $895.95 bike but has, as you point out, Ultegra shifters only, not
>> brakes, not cranks, not cassette. Of course, their ad says "Shimano
>> Ultegra
>> 30 speed road bike." Still inexpensive, but hardly a full Ultegra bike
>> (the
>> cranks alone are a $250 upcharge from the TruVativs shown... and hugely
>> superior... the brakes, no big deal, Ultegra brakes cost quite a bit but
>> if
>> you put KoolStop pads into the Tektro brakes, they'll work just fine). In
>> no
>> stretch of the imagination is it a $2095 "list" price bike. Well, I guess
>> it
>> is, because they can say whatever they want, since it's their house
>> brand.
>> But they'd be hard pressed to claim anyone, at anytime, ever sold one for
>> anything near that price, calling into question what it is.
>>
>> --Mike Jacoubowsky
>> Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com
>> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Actually I wish Bikes Direct sold a few folding design
> bikes.

I suspect they could do very well there. It's a market that's under-served
by the traditional bike companies, which just don't seem to quite get them
figured out.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> >I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Add some fenders and ya got the perfect
>> >fall/winter do it all bike. 8spd rear cluster is fine--stop worrying
>> >about winter grime and replace it and chain as needed, as 8spd stuff
>> >is cheeep.

>> >As I mentioned before, I'd repack the hubs and tension/destress those
>> >wheels before it went out the front door. Those are great rims if
>> >tensioned right, the wheels should be care-free.

>> OK
>>
>> They have two versions tho..... more expensive one with
>> Ultegra components. Would you go for that one over the
>> Tiagra version?

<snip>

> Anyway the wheels on the more expensive bike really are the deal
> breaker for me. Low spoke wheels with heavy rims are not an "upgrade"
> in any way.

Amen to that.

>I like the Surly, but if I was pressed for cash, I'd get the
>Motobecane with no regrets.

Thanks for your help!!!

If going for the Surly brand, would you personally get
the LH touring bike over their cross check model?
Especially if you want to do "some" touring maybe once
or twice a year?

Or...would that Cross check 9or any cross bike)... be a
better choice for daily schlepping around town,
exercise, commuting, etc?

On Oct 26, 9:58 am, [email protected] wrote:
> >I like the Surly, but if I was pressed for cash, I'd get the
> >Motobecane with no regrets.

> Thanks for your help!!!
>
> If going for the Surly brand, would you personally get
> the LH touring bike over their cross check model?
> Especially if you want to do "some" touring maybe once
> or twice a year?
>
> Or...would that Cross check 9or any cross bike)... be a
> better choice for daily schlepping around town,
> exercise, commuting, etc?

I'd give you a different answer each time ya asked that question
depending on the kind of coffee I was drinking.

Cross-Czech is going to feel a wee more nimble and the LHT more stable
as it's designed to haul big loads.

Today I like the color of the LHT better than plain black, but
tomorrow I might be a proponent of the Cross-Czech and more sporty
handling.

Either is a great deal for a nearly perfect spec bike if you're buying
the complete version and not the frame.

>I'd give you a different answer each time ya asked that question
>depending on the kind of coffee I was drinking.
>
>Cross-Czech is going to feel a wee more nimble and the LHT more stable
>as it's designed to haul big loads.
>
>Today I like the color of the LHT better than plain black, but
>tomorrow I might be a proponent of the Cross-Czech and more sporty
>handling.
>
>Either is a great deal for a nearly perfect spec bike if you're buying
>the complete version and not the frame.

Yep I would be buying complete bike

>> > Not true. I know of at least one LBS in Seattle that sells
>> > Motobecanes.

> [snip]
>

>> Which shop in seattle is selling them? Inquiring minds want to know!
>>

> Alpine Hut.
>
> At least they were three years ago when I was thinking about getting a
> 500HT from Bikedirect (I wound up getting a GT Avalanche 1.0 instead)
> and I wanted to see what one looked like in real life. They only had
> the 700HT in stock, and that was more than I wanted to spend at the
> time. I just now checked their web site, and they're only listing
> Raleigh and Felt now, so maybe that changed. Sorry if my contradiction
> came off as jerk-like.

Hank: I sent an email to Bikesdirect.com regarding dealers in Seattle; they
replied fairly quickly (about a day later, which is often better than I can
manage). Here's the reply-

==========================
We currently do not have a local bike shop to serve your area.
Please go to our authorized online source, they offer free shipping and a 30
day satisfaction guarantee:
www.bikesdirect.com

If you would like to see Motobecane bicycles in your area, please contact
your local dealer and ask them to contact us at:
[email protected]
==========================

Same reply that I got back in 1999 from them. I did ask back then about
becoming a dealer, but I'm not going to right now, as that wouldn't be
honest (I have no intention of becoming one).

On Oct 24, 5:57 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> Any caveats when buying a bike form them?
>
> Its hard to ignore their good prices!

I bought a Fantom 29 from them about a month ago, and aside from the
awful setup job it was a good deal. If I had taken it to a shop for
assembly, I think at least $100-$150 would be reasonable. It took me
two hours to set up, and I still haven't gotten around to re-dishing
the wheels. The component spec is pretty mixed up, but I don't think
it's deceptive since all of the info was on the web site. The only
things they really seem to have cheaped out on are the seatpost, bars,
and stem.