BikeWebSite is Free Until Jan 1. Merry Christmas!

Jonathan Harris wrote:
> Jonathan Bond wrote:
>
>> I'll probably end up making a webpage sooner or later, most likely for tufts cycling, and I'll
>> post it. The majority of the page will be written in notebook or something of the like, with
>> maybe a bit with a program to save some time.
>

> If you're going to program HTML (and I don't discourage it), at least get yourself an HTML editor.
> I'm currently playing with Bluefish, which is pretty nice. Although not available for Windows.

I've used a few, sometimes its nice, sometimes it gets annoying. I ended up using one for a while,
but I often just find myself going back to the simplicity of notepad. Its been a while, so they
might be nicer now.

Jon "Commander" Bond

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 02:04:38 GMT, "Pete Fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Bill Wheeler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>| On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 03:38:28 GMT, "Pete Fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>|
>| I can't believe all the shop talking.
>
>"Shop talking"? That's a hoot.
>
>Which part of "alt" are you struggling with?

The part about building web pages...vbscript...dreamweaver...blah, blah, blah.....what ever happened
to COBOL and FORTRAN didn't need no web **** back then?..Oh shYt that's shop talk again....thanks
Pete, thanks a lot.

Bill(EX-coder)

:-]

"Pete Fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Dennis Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> <snip>

<Snip>
> There is no absolute need to hand code to get a rich, interesting site.

I won't argue that. All I am saying is that much like the guy who hand assembles his own bike there
is a value to hand coding your web site even if you are not a web professional.

> In fact, most of the truly horrible/bad sites that I see have been hand coded.

I agree that there are a good number of poorly designed hand coded pages but they are outnumbered
about 10 to 1 by truly horrible/bad Frontpage sites by about 10 to 1.

When you boil it all down web page design needs to boil down to three things:
- Good Content
- A site design that allows the user to quickly find the content.
- Even Better Content

You have a great site Pete but people don't go to it because it's pretty, they go to it because of
the content. It's the ride reports, photos, and videos they are after. If you ditch the fancy
flyover menus and went with straight HTML people would still go to your site. Without the menus I
could teach someone enough HTML to replicate most of your site in an afternoon. It's all about the
content and how easy it is to find the content.

-- The Ogre http://ogrehut.com

Slacker wrote:

>>Yeah I am!
>

> You know what I just realized.....you are your Dad ;~ o
> --
> Slacker - 3rd and 7, going deep!

Hmmm, not quite. You're grounded for that comment boy! And you can't go biking because you already
went this week! AND YOU CAN'T BUY A NEW BIKE!!!!!!!

see what programming does to me?

Jon "Commander" Bond

Michael Dart wrote:
> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>Michael Dart wrote:
>>
>>>Sheesh! the next thing you know he'll be ridin' a SS!
>>>
>>>Mike
>>
>>Well, if I end up getting a new frame this summer (90% chance of that), then my kaitai is going to
>>be sanded, repainted, and transformed into a SS off road/commuting bike. It'll probably keep the
>>z2 atom bomb on there because I like that fork, and the bike handles pretty well with it, but it's
>>too short for the new fullies (65-70 mm of travel vs. 100).
>>
>>Jon "Commander" Bond
>>

> Well all I can say is I hope you have a truing stand.
>
> Mike

Hmmm, nope :) I'll have a plush fully to get that tension out tho... and I've got a punching bag in
the basement!

Jon "Commander" Bond

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 05:56:08 +0000, Jonathan Bond wrote:

> Pete Fagerlin wrote:
>> "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>> | > |

>> scratch

>> | I should have said DHTML... javascript, VBscript, CSS, all those fun things.
>> |
>> | I haven't made a webpage in a while, but I made some pretty frickin' nice ones with notepad.
>> | Sure, I had to look a lot of stuff up, borrow javascripts from websites
>> | (www.javascriptsource.com, www.bratta.com and the like), etc., but learning to use HTML lets
>> | you know its capabilities and its limits. You know what is possible, and what you'll have to
>> | use shockwave, java, or a similar object for, what you can't do at all, and what you can write
>> | a sweet, streamlined, small, quick DHTML file for.
>>
>> Why bother when Dreamweaver does it for you, in a much more compact and clean manner?
>>
>> | THEN, if you want, you can use dreamweaver or any of those.
>>
>> Why wait?
>>

> I'm just being argumentative tonight because I've been programming VBA for the past 5 hours.

I can sympathise with that - I've been working on some php [http://www.php.net] classes for a cross
timezone web site today... Australia has been problematic with 4 timezones, some of which are half
an hour (!) and their daylight saving starts / stops on a different date each year in each state.
(well, the states that use DST anyway).

I agree with you that the best way to produce a web site is to write the html in a text editor. This
usually forces you to think about the structure and accessability of the information before you
start to get too involved with the graphic design. If you know the html / css standards well, it
will also let you write much better html than frontpage (ugh!) or even dreamweaver will.

I use bluefish [http://bluefish.openoffice.nl] for html and anjuata / emacs for php coding.
Don't think that bluefish is available for windows, but I'm sure there will be a good
alternative out there.

Good luck,

Sam.

PS. Unashamed plug for recent web site I did for the Hong Kong MTB assoc [http://www.hkmba.org]. It
has a PHP / MySQL (ugh!) backend if you are interested in the details.

> Hey, BTW, mind if I use one of your pictures at the top of my spreadsheet for my intro to
> engineering final project (the VBA thing, I built a semi-automated, auto-compatibility check bike
> builder deal thats actually semi-decent).
>
> Jon "Commander" Bond
>

>> --
>> Pete Fagerlin
>>
>> http://www.petefagerlin.com

"2trax" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 05:56:08 +0000, Jonathan Bond wrote:

> I can sympathise with that - I've been working on some php [http://www.php.net] classes for a
> cross timezone web site today... Australia has been problematic with 4 timezones, some of which
> are half an hour (!) and their daylight saving starts / stops on a different date each year in
> each state. (well, the states that use DST anyway).
>
> I agree with you that the best way to produce a web site is to write the html in a text editor.
> This usually forces you to think about the structure and accessability of the information before
> you start to get too involved with the graphic design. If you know the html / css standards well,
> it will also let you write much better html than frontpage (ugh!) or even dreamweaver will.
>
> I use bluefish [http://bluefish.openoffice.nl] for html and anjuata / emacs for php coding.
> Don't think that bluefish is available for windows, but I'm sure there will be a good
> alternative out there.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Sam.

Woo http://www.hkmba.org/en/images/photos/BodyArmour/forearm.jpg now that's a nasty one.

Cool site!
--
Slacker

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 16:34:24 +0100, Jonathan Harris wrote:

> 2trax wrote:
>
>> I can sympathise with that - I've been working on some php [http://www.php.net] classes for a
>> cross timezone web site today...
>
> What's PHP like to work with? I'm thinking about looking at it after I've finished playing
> with Perl.

Think along the lines of loosely typed, interpreted C / C++. Most of the functions are similarly
named so if you come from a C background, it is very easy to pick up.

>> PS. Unashamed plug for recent web site I did for the Hong Kong MTB assoc [http://www.hkmba.org].
>> It has a PHP / MySQL (ugh!) backend if you are interested in the details.
>
> Nice site.

Thanks :)

> I assume you live in HK - do you know Gazzer? He used to hang around this group up until about a
> year ago.

No - at least I don't think so. I was away from HK (and a.m-b) for a few years and it looks like we
didn't overlap much. I just had a look and his address is not on our mailing list, so he's either
left or is laying low.

Shame really, as mountain biking has come a long way here recently and the number / quality of
trails (something he seemed to be quite vocal about) has really improved.

Sam.

Jonathan Harris wrote:
> 2trax wrote:
>
>> I can sympathise with that - I've been working on some php [http://www.php.net] classes for a
>> cross timezone web site today...
>

> What's PHP like to work with? I'm thinking about looking at it after I've finished playing
> with Perl.

I've got quite a bit of PHP on my site, best example is here: http://www.2fortheroad.net/collection/

My collection is stored in a PostgreSQL db. The non-coder I am if I can figure PHP out, anyone can.
I wrote all the stuff from scratch but there are plenty of open source PHP projects where
non-technical people can get dynamic sites with db backends up and running in no time.

Greg

--
"Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

G.T. wrote:

> I've got quite a bit of PHP on my site, best example is here:
> http://www.2fortheroad.net/collection/
>
> My collection is stored in a PostgreSQL db. The non-coder I am if I can figure PHP out, anyone
> can. I wrote all the stuff from scratch but there are plenty of open source PHP projects where
> non-technical people can get dynamic sites with db backends up and running in no time.

Quality. I'm a retard at writing code - it extends to bash and Perl. That'll be my next
language then...

G.T. <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Bill Wheeler wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 Dec 2002 03:38:28 GMT, "Pete Fagerlin" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I can't believe all the shop talking.
> >
> > Where G.T. when you need him. Please take this over to
> >

> The only thing off-topic here is adult BMX.

Then I'm glad that your own 'here' isn't everybody else's.

Stick to your _opinion_, yer welcome to it.

Shaun aRe - _You will be Anglicised_. Resistance is fertile.