biking in south america

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Fredrik Mattiss, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    I'm planning to do a long trip with my bike in south america, and I am looking for advices. The goal
    is to bike from tierra del fuego in the south to US in the north. So far I have only been biking in
    Europe. Where can I read more about biking in south/central america? homepages, newsgroups, books?

    thanks in advance, Fredrik

    Tags:

  2. Wendy

    Wendy Guest

  3. Www.Raph.Nl

    Www.Raph.Nl Guest

    "Fredrik Mattisson" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm planning to do a long trip with my bike in south america, and I
    am
    > looking for advices. The goal is to bike from tierra del fuego in
    the
    > south to US in the north. So far I have only been biking in Europe. Where can I read more about
    > biking in south/central america? homepages, newsgroups, books?
    >
    > thanks in advance, Fredrik

    Hi Frederik,

    Take a look at the website Travel to the Horizon (URL: www.raph.nl) for information on cycling in
    South America: more than 100 links on cycling in Central and South America alone. And over 600 more
    on cycling in other parts of the world.

    Happy cycling,

    Raph www.raph.nl

  4. Simon G

    Simon G Guest

    Having just returned from that part of the world (Chile and Argentina), after cycling and
    backpacking, here are my thoughts:

    1. Mountain bike with strong and simple-to-fix components, strong pannier racks.
    2. LOTS of wind in Patagonia and Tierra del F, expecially Carretera Austral. Make sure you carry
    ample food and water, as some of the distances between "civilizations" are quite long.
    3. It helps if you can speak at least a bit Spanish, and understand as well.

    Simon