Biking is not recommended for seniors

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Over here, a senior means 60 years old and above. In one aerobic session that I had attended before, I heard a woman said that biking is not beneficial when you are a senior because of the potential abuse that your body will get. That gave me food for thought because that was the time when the mouse on my right calf started showing. But I'm still below the senior bracket huh. Anyway, do you agree that 60 is the retirement for riding among women?

That's complete ******** and whoever gave that advice is still living in the stone age.

I know and ride with several women over 60 and one that's around 80. My girlfriend is 69, still riding with the local groups and competing in cyclocross. There is NO age limit for cycling. You won't be as strong or fast as you were when you were younger, but unless you have a specific physical/medical condition that prevents you from riding, you can keep doing it until you die.

Exercise is good for people of ALL ages. It will keep you physically healthier and mentally sharper than if you don't exercise.

BTW, cycling is one of the least likely forms of exercise to cause muscle or joint injury because your weight is supported and you can easily ride at any level of effort. Probably the only form of exercise that's easier on the body is swimming.

You can bike fine even if you're over 60 years old as long as you don't have any chronic diseases. If your body is in great shape, then there's no problem continuing cycling. If there's any doubt about your fitness, then ride with a friend at leisurely speeds, but it's not true that you can't bike when you're a senior citizen.

You don't need to have a body that's in great shape to ride; you can use cycling to improve your fitness at any age or fitness level. Consulting your doctor is always a good idea before embarking on a fitness program.

That's complete ******** and whoever gave that advice is still living in the stone age.

I know and ride with several women over 60 and one that's around 80. My girlfriend is 69, still riding with the local groups and competing in cyclocross. There is NO age limit for cycling. You won't be as strong or fast as you were when you were younger, but unless you have a specific physical/medical condition that prevents you from riding, you can keep doing it until you die.

Exercise is good for people of ALL ages. It will keep you physically healthier and mentally sharper than if you don't exercise.
Totally agree! there are some 60 and up guys here, who can literally make people in their 20's eat the dust. Usually those are the riders I love to do some cycling with, because they're super experienced, give amazing tips, they're always prepare for emergencies, and make me feel inspired, I would love to get to 60's doing great like them.

As long as the senior is in great shape and physically fit and will still able to do cycling, why prohibit them to do so?
Why do they have to put a 'retirement age" in this. What if the person is actually into it ever since. I mean it is already in her hobbies to be physically fit. Anyway I don't even know that there is a retirement age in cycling, if it really has, well I don't agree.

I believe on the saying that age does not matter, in all aspects not only in relationships matters. So I think cycling depends on one's capability to do a ride. It means that it does not only check whether your body is capable to ride or not but also to examine if it is still beneficial for your health. I've seen a lot of seniors or those with age ranges from 60 and up doing their habit of cycling, though I don't know if they suffer some health issues caused by cycling. But I think also that senior who still do cycling should balance their habit of it.

Well..
I'd say ride as long as your balance is OK.
Maybe get a bit more selective of WHEN to ride as you get old enough to heal slower and more likely to suffer fractures.
Even with the best of intentions, cyclists do fall occasionally.
Keeping physically active is one of the most important parts of not only life length, but also quality of life.

Well..
Maybe get a bit more selective of WHEN to ride as you get old enough to heal slower and more likely to suffer fractures.
Keeping physically active is one of the most important parts of not only life length, but also quality of life.

Yes, I think this is the case for old people. Because when we get old our bones become more brittle, easier to break. older people are more likely, as you said suffer fractures and it's difficult for them to recover from it. You have to be more careful as you age. It's still good if you can still go cycling as long as your body can handle it.

Well..
Yeah, senior people really have to watch themselves for falling because of more brittle bones and slower healing and repair by the body, and a simple fracture can be life-threatening for older people.

Yeah, senior people really have to watch themselves for falling because of more brittle bones and slower healing and repair by the body, and a simple fracture can be life-threatening for older people.

With the mention of brittle bones, that's what I always hear from the old folks here. Especially to me, because I had fractured my right arm in 1994, we should be careful not to slip or fall because a fracture for a senior can be worse and healing may not be possible anymore. This reminds me of our neighbor who was a professional cyclist. A few years before he passed away, I saw him with a bandaged leg and limping. He said that he has a fracture and has no intention of having it operated on because he is already old. It was as if he admitted that his bone will not heal anymore.

I believe it depends on the capability of the senior if he can still ride a bike. Some senior could have illnesses already and cycling could lead them to a more serious condition so I guess they should better visit their physicians first before continuing their tremendous activity. As long as they can still bike and their body could bear it, I humbly support them. I saw a lot of seniors in my place that still use bicycles as their means of transportation and it is also a form of exercise for them. I admire their strength that with their age, they could still rise a bike with a long travel distance.

BTW, cycling is one of the least likely forms of exercise to cause muscle or joint injury because your weight is supported and you can easily ride at any level of effort. Probably the only form of exercise that's easier on the body is swimming.
Agree with you.

Funny ha ha! I have many friends over 60 who are awesome riders.

That aerobics lady says no to cycling but I bet she'd be happy to charge seniors to join her class or gym. :D

Just yesterday at the beach we ran into some friends.

Left, Don, 61 years old, solo 40 miler.

Green strip jersey, Ron and Dixie, Ron is 64, did 46 miles at 17.7 average speed.

Green helmets Herb 61, Alyce 58, 50 miler at 16.0 average speed.

Then my wife Gina in blue, 56 years old, 36 miles at 16.6 average speed

DSCN0505.JPG

Others not in the pic, showed up late, Mark, 62, solo 44 miler at 16.9 average speed.

Alex age 63, solo 100 miles at 17.9 average speed.

..AND I DON'T SEE ANY OF THEM GIVING UP THE BIKE ANY TIME SOON! :)

Totally agree! there are some 60 and up guys here, who can literally make people in their 20's eat the dust. Usually those are the riders I love to do some cycling with, because they're super experienced, give amazing tips, they're always prepare for emergencies, and make me feel inspired, I would love to get to 60's doing great like them.
I know and ride with several women over 60 and one that's around 80. My girlfriend is 69, still riding with the local groups and competing in cyclocross. There is NO age limit for cycling. You won't be as strong or fast as you were when you were younger,

Funny ha ha! I have many friends over 60 who are awesome riders.

That aerobics lady says no to cycling but I bet she'd be happy to charge seniors to join her class or gym. :D

Just yesterday at the beach we ran into some friends.

Left, Don, 61 years old, solo 40 miler.

Green strip jersey, Ron and Dixie, Ron is 64, did 46 miles at 17.7 average speed.

Green helmets Herb 61, Alyce 58, 50 miler at 16.0 average speed.

Then my wife Gina in blue, 56 years old, 36 miles at 16.6 average speed

View attachment 3350

Others not in the pic, showed up late, Mark, 62, solo 44 miler at 16.9 average speed.

Alex age 63, solo 100 miles at 17.9 average speed.

..AND I DON'T SEE ANY OF THEM GIVING UP THE BIKE ANY TIME SOON! :)
https://notepad.software/ https://downloader.vip/malwarebytes/ https://filezilla.software/
I know and ride with several women over 60 and one that's around 80. My girlfriend is 69, still riding with the local groups and competing in cyclocross. There is NO age limit for cycling. You won't be as strong or fast as you were when you were younger,

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
Over here, a senior means 60 years old and above. In one aerobic session that I had attended before, I heard a woman said that biking is not beneficial when you are a senior because of the potential abuse that your body will get. That gave me food for thought because that was the time when the mouse on my right calf started showing. But I'm still below the senior bracket huh. Anyway, do you agree that 60 is the retirement for riding among women?
Ahhhh! if this is true then, i can ride for just 33 years more.:oops: I wish if i were had started cycling earlier:(

Well darn it! Gina shouldn't be on a bike if seniors should no ride. :D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

56 and most people think she is younger so I ain't stopping her now! NO, she doesn't dye her hair! :p

00000A500.JPG