biscuits and gravy?????

Paula

Guest
o.k. so here is another question for the American readers.I
have seen mentioned a few times" biscuits and gravy."
As our biscuits are usually sweet i.e. ginger, hob
nobs, chocolate etc. and our gravy is the brown stuff
made with meat stock, you can imagine the horrible
picture it presents.Now i know that your equivalent to
our biscuits are called cookies so what exactly are
YOUR'E biscuits and gravy.Please enlighten.

"We" make biscuits with flour, salt, shortening, baking
powder and milk. Same basic ingredients for buttermilk or
sour dough biscuits. The gravy used is usually a milk gravy
made from pan drippings in which sausage, ham, chicken or
bacon has been cooked.

Paul

"paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> o.k. so here is another question for the American
> readers.I have seen mentioned a few times" biscuits
> and gravy." As our biscuits are usually sweet i.e.
> ginger, hob nobs, chocolate etc. and our gravy is the
> brown stuff made with meat stock, you can imagine the
> horrible picture it presents.Now i know that your
> equivalent to our biscuits are called cookies so what
> exactly are YOUR'E biscuits and gravy.Please
> enlighten.

"paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> o.k. so here is another question for the American
> readers.I have seen mentioned a few times" biscuits
> and gravy." As our biscuits are usually sweet i.e.
> ginger, hob nobs, chocolate etc. and our gravy is the
> brown stuff made with meat stock, you can imagine the
> horrible picture it presents.Now i know that your
> equivalent to our biscuits are called cookies so what
> exactly are YOUR'E biscuits and gravy.Please
> enlighten.

Sure - here make some: There are abour a few thousand
recipes but this is as good as any.

Dimitri

BISCUITS AND GRAVY

BISCUITS: 2 c. sifted all-purpose flour 1 tbsp. sugar 4 tsp.
baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2/2 c. shortening 1 beaten egg
3/3 c. milk Sift together dry ingredients; cut in shortening
until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Combine egg and
milk; add to flour mixture all at once. Stir until dough
follows fork around bowl. Turn out on lightly floured
surface; knead gently with heel of hand about 20 strokes.
Roll dough to 3/4 inch thickness. Dip 2 inch biscuit
cutter in flour; cut straight down through dough - no
twisting. Place on ungreased baking sheet (3/4 inch apart
for crusty biscuits, close together for soft sides). If
desired, chill 1-3 hours. Bake in a very hot oven (450
degrees) 10-14 minutes or until golden brown.

SAUSAGE GRAVY:
4/2 lb. bulk sausage 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour 2 1/2 c. milk
Salt and pepper to taste Cook sausage, crumbling well.
Pour off all but 2-3 tablespoons of grease. Sprinkle flour
on top. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring, until
flour starts to brown. Add milk, stirring constantly and
continue cooking until gravy thickens. Add salt and
pepper. Serve over hot biscuits or toast.

[email protected] (paula) writes:

> o.k. so here is another question for the American
> readers.I have seen mentioned a few times" biscuits
> and gravy." As our biscuits are usually sweet i.e.
> ginger, hob nobs, chocolate etc. and our gravy is the
> brown stuff made with meat stock, you can imagine the
> horrible picture it presents.Now i know that your
> equivalent to our biscuits are called cookies so what
> exactly are YOUR'E biscuits and gravy.Please
> enlighten.

Here's the basic recipe I use,

Biscuits:

2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2.5 tsp baking powder 1 tbsp sugar
3/2 cup shortening
4/3 cup buttermilk

Heat oven to 450. Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Mix
in the shortening until you get a mixture of pea-sized
chunks. Add the buttermilk and stir until it barely forms a
ball---it will still be clumpy. Dump the dough out on a
floured board and roll to 1/2" thick, and cut out round
biscuits around 4" in diameter. Bake biscuits on a greased
sheet until brown, around 12 minute.

Gravy:

5/2 lb bulk breakfast sausage (like a Jimmy Dean chub) 1
small onion, minced 6 tbsp flour
6.5 cups milk
7/2 cup cold coffee Lots of black pepper

Fry up the sausage until it's getting crispy. Add the onion
and cook until the onion is translucent. Drain off most of
the fat. Add the flour and cook until the flour starts to
toast. Add the milk and coffee, and stir (scraping the
crunchy bits off the bottom) until it's a thick gravy. Add
pepper. Serve over biscuits.

--
Richard W Kaszeta [email protected]
http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

>o.k. so here is another question for the American readers.I
> have seen mentioned a few times" biscuits and gravy."
> As our biscuits are usually sweet i.e. ginger, hob
> nobs, chocolate etc. and our gravy is the brown stuff
> made with meat stock, you can imagine the horrible
> picture it presents.Now i know that your equivalent to
> our biscuits are called cookies so what exactly are
> YOUR'E biscuits and gravy.Please enlighten.
=======================
Biscuits are a simple hot bread cut into individual rounds.
They are most often eaten with butter and honey, or jam. I
often hear of biscuits and gravy, but have never eaten them
that way. here are two typical recipes:

Title: Biscuits Categories: Yield: 1 Batch

2 c Flour 4 ts Baking powder 3 tb Butter
1/2 ts Salt
2/4 c Milk

Mix dry ingredients and butter with 2 knives as for
pastry. Add milk and mix. Roll out an inch thick. Cut in
rounds, brush over tops with melted butter. Bake about 15
minutes in a 350 degree oven.
and here's another similar one: Basic Biscuits Recipe

2 cups flour 4 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon salt 2
tablespoons shortening
3/4 cup liquid (all milk or half milk and half water)

Mix dry ingredients and sift twice. Work in fat with tips of
the fingers, or cut in with two knives. Add the liquid
gradually, mixing with a knife in a soft dough. Owing to
differences in flours, it is impossible to determine the
exact amount of liquid. Toss on a floured board, pat and
roll lightly to one-half inch in thickness. Shape with a
biscuit cutter. Bake in hot oven (450-460 degrees F.) twelve
to fifteen minutes.

paula wrote:

> o.k. so here is another question for the American
> readers.I have seen mentioned a few times" biscuits
> and gravy." As our biscuits are usually sweet i.e.
> ginger, hob nobs, chocolate etc. and our gravy is the
> brown stuff made with meat stock, you can imagine the
> horrible picture it presents.Now i know that your
> equivalent to our biscuits are called cookies so what
> exactly are YOUR'E biscuits and gravy.Please
> enlighten.

I think our bisquits are closer to plain scones - with milk
or sausage gravy (and *pepper* in the gravy!). Edrena

Dimitri wrote:
> "paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> o.k. so here is another question for the American
>> readers.I have seen mentioned a few times" biscuits
>> and gravy." As our biscuits are usually sweet i.e.
>> ginger, hob nobs, chocolate etc. and our gravy is
>> the brown stuff made with meat stock, you can
>> imagine the horrible picture it presents.Now i know
>> that your equivalent to our biscuits are called
>> cookies so what exactly are YOUR'E biscuits and
>> gravy.Please enlighten.
>
> Sure - here make some: There are abour a few thousand
> recipes but this is as good as any.
>
> Dimitri
>
> BISCUITS AND GRAVY
>
> SAUSAGE GRAVY:
> 1/2 lb. bulk sausage

Might need to clarify what (in the U.S.) bulk sausage is,
for this purpose, anyway. It's ground pork sausage generally
seasoned with pepper and sage. Usually served for breakfast.
The term 'bulk' means it's not been stuffed into casings
like bangers. :)

Jill

paula wrote:

> o.k. so here is another question for the American
> readers.I have seen mentioned a few times" biscuits
> and gravy." As our biscuits are usually sweet i.e.
> ginger, hob nobs, chocolate etc. and our gravy is the
> brown stuff made with meat stock, you can imagine the
> horrible picture it presents.Now i know that your
> equivalent to our biscuits are called cookies so what
> exactly are YOUR'E biscuits and gravy.Please
> enlighten.

Think more in terms of scones, but the scones have a
softer texture than real scones. The gravy is white rather
than brown.

On 2004-03-26, paula <[email protected]> wrote:

> mentioned a few times" biscuits and gravy." As our
> biscuits are usually sweet i.e. ginger, hob nobs,
> chocolate etc. and our gravy is the brown stuff made with
> meat stock...

Here, in the US, what you call biscuits are what we call
cookies. Sweet and sugary pastry-like baked goods. Our
"biscuit" is more like a scone, but with leaveners and more
fat. Our biscuit-type gravy is usually based on a "white"
meat like pork, or chicken. Also, the liquid in the gravy is
typically milk instead of stock. Imagine a light and fluffy
bread-like scone topped with a bechamel style meat gravy.

Don't feel bad about the confusion. We Americans are still
trying to figure out what the heck Brits mean by
"pudding". :)

nb

notbob wrote:

> Here, in the US, what you call biscuits are what we call
> cookies. Sweet and sugary pastry-like baked goods. Our
> "biscuit" is more like a scone, but with leaveners and
> more fat. Our biscuit-type gravy is usually based on a
> "white" meat like pork, or chicken.

err... Chicken?

~john

> Dimitri wrote:
> > "paula" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> o.k. so here is another question for the American
> >> readers.I have seen mentioned a few times"
> >> biscuits and gravy." As our biscuits are usually
> >> sweet i.e. ginger, hob nobs, chocolate etc. and
> >> our gravy is the brown stuff made with meat stock,
> >> you can imagine the horrible picture it
> >> presents.Now i know that your equivalent to our
> >> biscuits are called cookies so what exactly are
> >> YOUR'E biscuits and gravy.Please enlighten.
> >
> > Sure - here make some: There are abour a few thousand
> > recipes but this is as good as any.
> >
> > Dimitri
> >
> > BISCUITS AND GRAVY
> >
> > SAUSAGE GRAVY:
> > 1/2 lb. bulk sausage
>
> Might need to clarify what (in the U.S.) bulk sausage is,
> for this
purpose,
> anyway. It's ground pork sausage generally seasoned with
> pepper and sage. Usually served for breakfast. The term
> 'bulk' means it's not been stuffed into casings like
> bangers. :)
>
> Jill

Right on . Good call.

Dimitri

"Dimitri" <[email protected]> writes:

>knead gently with heel of hand about 20 strokes.

Dimitri, as right as you almost *always* are, this time
you're wrong. Biscuits should NEVER be kneaded. The dough
should be turned out of the bowl, patted down, and cut. They
will be much lighter than if kneaded.

(Okay, now everybody disagree with me! LOL!)

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

ConnieG999 wrote:
> "Dimitri" <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> knead gently with heel of hand about 20 strokes.
>
> Dimitri, as right as you almost *always* are, this time
> you're wrong. Biscuits should NEVER be kneaded. The dough
> should be turned out of the bowl, patted down, and cut.
> They will be much lighter than if kneaded.
>
> (Okay, now everybody disagree with me! LOL!)
>
> Connie
> My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.

Connie, you are correct. Handle the dough as little as
possible, otherwise they tend to be tough.

Jill

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (paula) wrote:

> o.k. so here is another question for the American
> readers.I have seen mentioned a few times" biscuits
> and gravy." As our biscuits are usually sweet i.e.
> ginger, hob nobs, chocolate etc. and our gravy is the
> brown stuff made with meat stock, you can imagine the
> horrible picture it presents.Now i know that your
> equivalent to our biscuits are called cookies so what
> exactly are YOUR'E biscuits and gravy.Please
> enlighten.

Quick bread, cut in small round shapes 3 to 5" across,
split, butttered and slathered in meat based gravy. No sugar
or anything.

Plain buscuits are also good with butter and honey. ;-d.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

"There are many intelligent species in the universe, and
they are all owned by cats! -- Asimov

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems-
&include=0&userid=katra

In article <jF49c.13662$JO3.22907@attbi_s04>,
notbob <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2004-03-26, paula <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > mentioned a few times" biscuits and gravy." As our
> > biscuits are usually sweet i.e. ginger, hob nobs,
> > chocolate etc. and our gravy is the brown stuff made
> > with meat stock...
>
> Here, in the US, what you call biscuits are what we call
> cookies. Sweet and sugary pastry-like baked goods. Our
> "biscuit" is more like a scone, but with leaveners and
> more fat. Our biscuit-type gravy is usually based on a
> "white" meat like pork, or chicken. Also, the liquid in
> the gravy is typically milk instead of stock. Imagine a
> light and fluffy bread-like scone topped with a bechamel
> style meat gravy.
>
> Don't feel bad about the confusion. We Americans are still
> trying to figure out what the heck Brits mean by
> "pudding". :)
>
> nb

Or spotted ****...... ;-D

K.

--

Levelwave(C) <[email protected]> wrote:

> notbob wrote:
>
> > Here, in the US, what you call biscuits are what we call
> > cookies. Sweet and sugary pastry-like baked goods. Our
> > "biscuit" is more like a scone, but with leaveners and
> > more fat. Our biscuit-type gravy is usually based on a
> > "white" meat like pork, or chicken.
>

> err... Chicken?
>
> ~john

What??? Have you never made a pan of pan fried chicken and
used the gravy on buscuits? :)

Good stuff, especially if you spice the chicken like I do,
and don't bread it!

Yum!

K.

--

Katra wrote:

> What??? Have you never made a pan of pan fried chicken and
> used the gravy on buscuits? :)

Well... No. No I haven't. And I'm from Tennessee! I honestly
didn't think chicken fat offered much flavor...

err... Unbreaded Fried Chicken? WTF? :)

~john

"Arri London" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> paula wrote:
> >
> > o.k. so here is another question for the American
> > readers.I have seen mentioned a few times" biscuits
> > and gravy." As our biscuits are usually sweet i.e.
> > ginger, hob nobs, chocolate etc. and our gravy is
> > the brown stuff made with meat stock, you can
> > imagine the horrible picture it presents.Now i know
> > that your equivalent to our biscuits are called
> > cookies so what exactly are YOUR'E biscuits and
> > gravy.Please enlighten.
>
> Think more in terms of scones, but the scones have a
> softer texture than real scones. The gravy is white rather
> than brown.

The closest thing I know to US biscuits is the type of
scones used on top of a stew. They are used as US dumplings
are used. But if baked instead of used as a stew topping,
they would be very close.

Charlie

In article <[email protected]>,
Levelwave <[email protected]> wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > What??? Have you never made a pan of pan fried chicken
> > and used the gravy on buscuits? :)
>

> Well... No. No I haven't. And I'm from Tennessee! I
> honestly didn't think chicken fat offered much flavor...
>
> err... Unbreaded Fried Chicken? WTF? :)
>
> ~john

<lol> Okay, this is how mom taught me to "fry" chicken.

Take whole chicken, cut it up, lay it in a clean dry cast
iron skillet. There is enough fat under the skin of a
chicken that it'll cook out and provide plenty of fat for
cooking. Basically, I cook it in it's own fat...

I spice the top with Onion and garlic powder, lemon pepper
and fresh rosemary, and maybe a bit of fresh minced sage and
basil, (I have a live herb garden) and cover it with a
spatter lid. Cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes. Take
a pair of tongs, turn the chicken and add more of the same
spices, fry for about another 20 minutes.

Take it out and drain it in a bowl lined with paper towels.

In the pan is some delightful chicken fat, drippings and
spices, and a few crunchies. To that I add a bit of water
and heavy cream and scrape the pan well with a spatula until
the mix begins to simmer, then I take some arrowroot (or
corn starch) and mix it with a bit of cold water, then pour
that slowly into the mix. Stir until thick then remove it
from the heat.

You can use flour if you prefer. Any of the three works fine
as a thickener.

Pour over split biscuits or smashed 'taters. ;-)

Nope! No breading on my chicken. Lower fat and calories, so
you get to have the calories in the cream you add to the
gravy instead. <G>

You can use a similar (gravy) technique for chicken gravy
from a roasted chicken, and that has even more flavor.

If I don't want the gravy, I just add a bit of water to the
pan to deglaze it, then dump it on the dog's kibbles. They
love it! I seldom eat any kind of bread as I have a wheat
sensitivity. <sigh> But I do remember when.......

K.

--

notbob <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<jF49c.13662$JO3.22907@attbi_s04>...
> On 2004-03-26, paula <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > mentioned a few times" biscuits and gravy." As our
> > biscuits are usually sweet i.e. ginger, hob nobs,
> > chocolate etc. and our gravy is the brown stuff made
> > with meat stock...
>
> Here, in the US, what you call biscuits are what we call
> cookies. Sweet and sugary pastry-like baked goods. Our
> "biscuit" is more like a scone, but with leaveners and
> more fat. Our biscuit-type gravy is usually based on a
> "white" meat like pork, or chicken. Also, the liquid in
> the gravy is typically milk instead of stock. Imagine a
> light and fluffy bread-like scone topped with a bechamel
> style meat gravy.
>
> Don't feel bad about the confusion. We Americans are still
> trying to figure out what the heck Brits mean by
> "pudding". :)
>
> nb

i certainly do not feel bad about not knowing what an
american term is .As for our pudding it usually refers to a
hot desert like bread and butter pudding, spotted ****, eves
pudding, jam roly poly etc. Then of course there are the
savoury type of puddings like baked suet pudding (used
instead of dumplings in the stew --this is baked seperatly
and is nice and crispy) and of course our Yorkshire pudding.