Road Cycling · Public discussion

bite your tongue

Started by loke · · Last activity · 26 posts · 876 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
21 May 2005
Last activity
25 May 2005
Original author
loke
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
876
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. On 24 May 2005 07:03:11 -0700, "Maggie" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in message
    <[email hidden]>:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No, I read that there is a danger of inhaling it, which might spoil
    your whole day.

    Quoted message said:

    When I was little my Mommy told me never to swallow gum or I would die.
    I have been swallowing gum for about 45 years now. I am 51. Do you
    think it is going to catch up with me and kill me soon?

    To apply seriousness to a tongue-in-cheek post, I can see how inhaling
    a wad of gum might be a Bad Thing in a way that swallowing it might
    not.

    Guy
    --
    May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    85% of helmet statistics are made up, 69% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  2. "Jeff Starr" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Well Jeff, you convinced me. I will change the sig to honour Joan Jett. She
    seems more deserving. Getting me to change my opinion - that's no small
    feat.

    tscheuss

    --
    'I don't give a damn about my bad reputation
    Your living in the past. It's a new generation.'
    -joan jett rendition

  3. On 24 May 2005 08:12:31 -0700, "Maggie" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:


    Jeff Starr said:

    You are missing the point, you are not posting an audio clip of the
    song. You are posting the lyrics. So the attribution should go to the
    writer, or as Lokey suggested, making a reference to the version.
    And in your case, if you are altering the lyrics, it would be fair to
    make a note of that.

    My dear sweet Jeff who is the same age as me.... ;-)


    No, I'm not, you are older than me;-)

    Quoted message said:


    I love music as well. I think you can tell. I love the music of the
    sixties. I respect the writer and the performer. I am a writer myself.

    Don't you think I respect the person who actually wrote the song as
    well as the person who performed the song?

    I alter the lyrics only to shorten and use as a closing. I take out
    certain lines and keep others. I don't change the words. Do you want me
    to post the whole song as a sig?

    I would not alter the amazing poetry of Jim Morrison. I would not
    destroy the lyrics written by John Lennon, Billy Joel, Joni Mitchell or
    Carol King. To me the lyrics are more important than the music. I am
    all about the lyrics. I love words. I love poetry. I love books.
    Words are everything to me.

    Did you ever hear that old saying...."You are the words and I am the
    music...Together we are the SONG!!!" The song is the thing, no matter
    who sings it, who renders it differently or who hears it.


    Well duh! If it is the song and not the performer, then give credit
    to the writer of the song. As per your example, Janis didn't write the
    song, Kris did.

    Quoted message said:


    The song is the beauty. Beauty is not to be picked apart. Just
    enjoyed. Enjoy the song Jeff. Life is too short to pick it apart.
    Sometimes you have to shut down the logical side of yourself and just
    feel and enjoy. 🙂


    Nobody is picking the songs apart, you are missing the point. All I'm
    saying is give the credit where it is due. It is very simple. And to
    be honest, I sort of resent you telling me how to listen to music. You
    know nothing of how I listen to music. Anyway, we are not listening,
    we are discussing music.

    Quoted message said:


    Love,
    Maggie

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  4. Jeff Starr said:
    Quoted message said:


    My dear sweet Jeff who is the same age as me.... ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    No, I'm not, you are older than me;-)

    OK we were born in the same year.

    I sort of resent you telling me how to listen to music. You

    Quoted message said:

    know nothing of how I listen to music. Anyway, we are not listening,
    we are discussing music.

    Quoted message said:

    From the moment I started posting you had a problem with me. (as did


    another person) I have no clue why. But that's life. Listen to music
    anyway you like.

    Love and hugs, Maggie

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Maggie said:
    Jeff Starr said:
    Quoted message said:


    My dear sweet Jeff who is the same age as me.... ;-)

    Quoted message said:

    No, I'm not, you are older than me;-)

    OK we were born in the same year.

    Quoted message said:

    I sort of resent you telling me how to listen to music. You
    know nothing of how I listen to music. Anyway, we are not listening,
    we are discussing music.

    Quoted message said:

    From the moment I started posting you had a problem with me. (as did


    another person) I have no clue why. But that's life. Listen to music
    anyway you like.

    Love and hugs, Maggie

    On the contrary, most posters in this newsgroup are
    extraordinarily tolerant of all kinds of commentary over the
    years, including self-delusion, trolling, passive-aggressive,
    coyness, baiting, preaching, shouting, veiled threats, and many
    other things. I find Jeff's comments to be more normally
    tolerant.

    S

  6. Sandor said:

    On the contrary, most posters in this newsgroup are
    extraordinarily tolerant of all kinds of commentary over the
    years, including self-delusion, trolling, passive-aggressive,
    coyness, baiting, preaching, shouting, veiled threats, and many
    other things. I find Jeff's comments to be more normally
    tolerant.

    I haven't been around long enough to experience all of the above. And I
    like Jeff. I admire his determination and accomplishments. Even if he
    is younger than me. ;-)

    Maggie

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.