Blood Pressure elevation

tokki

Apr 18, 2004
I went to a doctor and had my pressure measured. Im 27 years old and I got 143 over 83. It seems a bit high. However, my problem is that the mere act of performing the procedure makes my heart race and I get really nervous. I have performed the procedure again on one of those machines one finds in drugstores and at first I was also really nervous. My BP was again elevated and the heart rate was up to 100 bpm. Now, I have to mention that usually, my heart rate is at around 60 bpm, and has been decreasing due to the fact that I do about 10 hours of cardio on a bike a week plus 5 hours of weights a week and swimming(3 hours a week), tennis, soccer etc. My diet is great. I weigh 160lbs Im 6'2 and my bodyfat is below 10%. Surely enough, as I took more readings, the heart rate went down to normal, and my BP was what would be considered normal. The only time I have felt my heart rate go so fast as when I have my BP taken, is when I exercise.

Is this normal? Do I have hypertension? Or is it enduced by the mere sight of the doctor?

My doc calls it 'white coat syndrome'. He lent me a portable bp tester so I could test in the comfort of my own home. It was much lower.