BNE: Wanted, cheapish tandem

Duracell Bunny

New Member
Sep 20, 2006
I have a friend who's in dire need of a tandem, Brisbane or Toowoomba - not competitive, just for touring.

Any idea where she could find one at a sensible price? Doesn't have to be new, just in good working order.

DB

Duracell Bunny wrote:
> I have a friend who's in dire need of a tandem, Brisbane or Toowoomba -
> not competitive, just for touring.
>
> Any idea where she could find one at a sensible price? Doesn't have to
> be new, just in good working order.

Heh! There was one going for cheap in Melbourne not too long ago, see
http://www.flamingsaddles.com ;-)

BTH

Duracell Bunny said:
I have a friend who's in dire need of a tandem, Brisbane or Toowoomba - not competitive, just for touring.

Any idea where she could find one at a sensible price? Doesn't have to be new, just in good working order.

DB
Lotte and I wanted one first. :mad: Dibs.

:D

Paulie-AU said:
Lotte and I wanted one first. :mad: Dibs.

:D
Haven't you two got enough bikes between you? Although I do note that Lotte's trying to unload one at present.

And who'd be the stoker, & who'd be the gunner? (well, Lotte of course will be the gunner ...) you could take it one stage further & put a nice fowling piece on the top tube, a nice punt-gun or something to blast the cagers out of orbit :D

DB

On Mar 2, 2:26 pm, Duracell Bunny <Duracell.Bunny.2ms...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> I have a friend who's in dire need of a tandem, Brisbane or Toowoomba -
> not competitive, just for touring.
>
> Any idea where she could find one at a sensible price? Doesn't have to
> be new, just in good working order.

Depending on what you mean by a sensible price, the Apollo 'tandem
sport' retails for about $1200.

Duracell Bunny said:
I have a friend who's in dire need of a tandem, Brisbane or Toowoomba - not competitive, just for touring.

Any idea where she could find one at a sensible price? Doesn't have to be new, just in good working order.

DB

Touring? a weekend slow jaunt on level ground with rear panniers only or something a wee bit longer?
Two people on a tandem destroy single bike parts for breakfast so beware of cheaper tandems that have low spec parts. There will be plenty of tandems to have a ride on at the upcoming BNSW ride. Most people on tandems are friendly and happy to let someone have a test ride.
It's better to try before you by.
As with anything you get what you pay for.

Cheers

Geoff

Co-motion Mocha Co-pilot
Santana Sovereign

Bleve said:
On Mar 2, 2:26 pm, Duracell Bunny <Duracell.Bunny.2ms...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> I have a friend who's in dire need of a tandem, Brisbane or Toowoomba -
> not competitive, just for touring.
>
> Any idea where she could find one at a sensible price? Doesn't have to
> be new, just in good working order.

Depending on what you mean by a sensible price, the Apollo 'tandem
sport' retails for about $1200.
Only has to last a year or so, before her eyesight fails completely. It's already too bad to ride a single bike, so she'll be in the stoker's seat. She's had a look at a few for $1200 or so. I was hoping the hive mind here could come up with a better, second hand one.

DB

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 11:15:30 +1100, Duracell Bunny
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Only has to last a year or so, before her eyesight fails completely.
>It's already too bad to ride a single bike, so she'll be in the
>stoker's seat. She's had a look at a few for $1200 or so. I was hoping
>the hive mind here could come up with a better, second hand one.
>
>DB

She can keep riding, blindness is no reason to give up.

"Duracell Bunny" wrote:

> She's had a look at a few for $1200 or so. I was hoping
> the hive mind here could come up with a better, second hand one.

It's a long way away, but The Pegasus Crew in Melbourne are importing a wide
range of good tandems. Talk to Peter Howells, mention I pointed you in his
direction, I've known him for 30 years of cycling. Their Elwood shop has a
sale at present. Maybe you can get someone to pick one up from down here for
you.

http://www.the-pegasus-crew.com.au/khs-sport.htm
http://www.the-pegasus-crew.com.au/indi-2up.htm

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

"Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Duracell Bunny" wrote:
>>
>> She's had a look at a few for $1200 or so. I was hoping
>> the hive mind here could come up with a better, second hand one.

> The Pegasus Crew in Melbourne are importing a wide range of good tandems.
> ......Their Elwood shop has a sale at present.

And hey, it's outside your price range, but this one is reqlly hot for
tandem touring

http://www.the-pegasus-crew.com.au/pegduet.htm

A blind stoker is the best sort to have. No see-um, no fear-um - you can
blast down the descents :)

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

We have the BEST tandem :)
When my brother left Australia to work overseas he left it with us and now
it is ours. It is a Burley, have travelled over 3000kms on it fully loaded
with tent, etc and it just wont fail.
There must be some good tandems around, we have looked at what is on offer
in LBS and gloat as our Tandem is the BEST :p
Kathy.

Duracell Bunny said:
I have a friend who's in dire need of a tandem, Brisbane or Toowoomba - not competitive, just for touring.

Any idea where she could find one at a sensible price? Doesn't have to be new, just in good working order.

DB
Auction Won has a Cruiser Tandem for $439 Buy it Now. It says 12 months warranty. Pick up Brisbane area, delivery Aus wide. They look kinda cool, white wall tyres n'all.

On Mar 3, 9:44 pm, "just us" <[email protected]> wrote:
> We have the BEST tandem :)
> When my brother left Australia to work overseas he left it with us and now
> it is ours. It is a Burley, have travelled over 3000kms on it fully loaded
> with tent, etc and it just wont fail.

If you meant 30,000km, that would be a useful bit of data to suggest
that the bike was reliable.