BNSW or CA???

Learsport8500

Oct 24, 2005
Hey guys,

Just started out in road cycling and I need some advice on clubs and associations. Basically, I'm confused about how the whole thing works.

1. In order to take part in races, I notice that you need to hold a license. Do I get this from CA or BNSW?

2. Would I need to join BNSW or CA and what are the advantages of each?

3. Are cycling clubs good to join, or are unofficial bike-shop groups just as good?

I'm loated in North Sydney so if you guys can recommend a good club I'd that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

Learsport8500 said:
Hey guys,

Just started out in road cycling and I need some advice on clubs and associations. Basically, I'm confused about how the whole thing works.

1. In order to take part in races, I notice that you need to hold a license. Do I get this from CA or BNSW?

2. Would I need to join BNSW or CA and what are the advantages of each?

3. Are cycling clubs good to join, or are unofficial bike-shop groups just as good?

I'm loated in North Sydney so if you guys can recommend a good club I'd that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.
You probably have all the answers to this one as it's a few months old; however if not... CA is responsible for all things racing including licenses. You would need to deal with NSW cycling though and not CA direct. BNSW are more the touring/recreational arm of cycling and I believe offer different forms of insurance and also sell maps and books.

Most informal "bike shop" groups are predominately made up of licensed riders; either roadies or triathletes; however if you are new to the sport I'm sure most groups are very accomodating. You just need to find a group that's not too far above your current ability/fitness level.

The owner of Bikes Plus in Parramatta (Ben Larsen) who incidently is one of Learsports major distributors, is involved with the Northern suburbs triathlon club and one of the Cycling clubs in the north (not sure which one), so he could probably steer you in the right direction.

Good luck
Chris